Practice Reports & Europeans Experiences | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Practice Reports & Europeans Experiences

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Forgot to mention this yesterday, but we started listening to blade sounds - or rather the lack of them (they had successfully adjusted the speaker system from yesterday).

I started to pay attention at Sotskova's quietness, Peltonen was also good, did not have a chance to listen to Carolina bcs we arrived late.

In the men, Javi and Kolyada were amongst the silent ones. Kolyada has good jump technique and great skating skills but is still not able to put them together smoothly so that the programs would look good. Aliev I expected to be quieter, but not really. Hendricx silent also, Vasiljevs not among the quiet ones either.

In the pairs, the guys tended to be loud, the girls quiet. Ksenia Stolbova was like a ghost. I don't think I heard her make noise even with deep curves and edges where even the best of the others were audible.

E

anyanka

Record Breaker
Forgot to mention this yesterday, but we started listening to blade sounds - or rather the lack of them (they had successfully adjusted the speaker system from yesterday).

I started to pay attention at Sotskova's quietness, Peltonen was also good, did not have a chance to listen to Carolina bcs we arrived late.

In the men, Javi and Kolyada were amongst the silent ones. Kolyada has good jump technique and great skating skills but is still not able to put them together smoothly so that the programs would look good. Aliev I expected to be quieter, but not really. Hendricx silent also, Vasiljevs not among the quiet ones either.

In the pairs, the guys tended to be loud, the girls quiet. Ksenia Stolbova was like a ghost. I don't think I heard her make noise even with deep curves and edges where even the best of the others were audible.

E

Great updates, keep them coming! :)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Thanks everyone for reports! Too bad no one mentions how Michal Brezina is doing, but I'll live with it ;)

Ksenia Stolbova was like a ghost. I don't think I heard her make noise even with deep curves and edges where even the best of the others were audible.

E
Tsarina Ksenia :love: That's why I can't understand S/K PCS comapred to others sometimes. Their SS is really SUPERB.

Country
Russia
17 Jan Ladies Practice Report from Andrey Simonenko
https://rsport.ria.ru/figure_skating/20180117/1131242242.html
(translated by me)

On the ice both Medvedeva and Zagitova fly out at such a speed, as if they were waiting for this training all their conscious lives. Even on the warm-up skating is understandable - the energies of both are above the roof. Both on the move, almost without a warm-up, begin to perform triple jumps. One by one, one after another, the 3+3 combo, the 3+3 combo. No one mistake of both girls. Even if very, very niggle.

The first skating to the music performs a two-time world champion. Can you imagine a starving lion skating "Anna Karenina"? I could not imagine it earlier too. With the naked eye of the layman it is visible - Zhenya has become bored of competitions, she is hungry to performances and to victories. Medvedeva is not just in good state - she is in perfect state, she catches a buzz from every second of her being on the ice.

After performing the "musical part", the two-time world champion starts what experts call "to defeat opponents in training." One 3+3+3 combo, the second 3+3+3 combo, the third, the fourth, the fifth ... Immediately, Medvedev performs an atypical for her 3Lo+3Lo combo. This all looks very strong.

Meanwhile, Zagitova starts to skate her "Don Quixote". She does not pay any attention to the two-time world champion - which, incidentally, is not surprising, they are used to seeing each other every day. Her jumps are no less strong, in her training we do not see even a single slack anyway. 3+3+3 combos in this half an hour she, unlike Medvedeva, does not make - but there is no doubt that Zagitova is ready to meet face to face with the main rival.

However there is no doubt that if the two-time world champion will perform at the European Championships as she made this training - there will be no questions about the winner.

Country
Russia
Evening practice of dancers on January 16.

Almost all the practice Tatiana Tarasova watched from her usual commentary place.

On such practices, almost everyone performs the program by pieces, skated the piece, broke off, then another piece, etc. Often the elements are only indicated, but not made. This is normal, I will not mark this.

Almost all skated SD, only some FD.
There were three falls, as usual with dancers, falling from steps.

Groups in the order of skating.

Group 2.
Marie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GAC - she fell.
Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON - skate as usual, very good. Neither in the program, nor at any other time did the twizzles and liftss, were engaged in steps and StSQs.
Lucie MYSLIVECKOVA / Lukas CSOLLEY - he fell.
Angelique ABACHKINA / Louis THAURON - at the skating SD he popped twizzles. Then they made twizzles better.

Group 3.
Kavita LORENZ / Joti POLIZOAKIS (the best in the group, perhaps)
Aurelija IPOLITO / Malcolm JONES
Victoria MANNI / Carlo RÖTHLISBERGER
Alisa AGAFONOVA / Alper UCAR
There was nothing special about this group, they all correspond to their level.

Group 4.
Only two couples of five were present.
Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE - at the skatng SD he shaked in the second series of twizzles. In the rest - it was in line with their high level.
Jasmine TESSARI / Francesco FIORETTI - the third Italian pair, the level is not to high, especially in comparison with the KL.
These couples were absent:
Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI
Natalia KALISZEK / Maksym SPODYRIEV
Justyna PLUTOWSKA / Jeremie FLEMIN

Group 5.
Viktoria KAVALIOVA / Yurii BIELIAIEV
Teodora MARKOVA / Simon DAZE
Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND
Tina GARABEDIAN / Simon PROULX SENECAL
In this group, Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND, of course, were bestl. There were no memorable episodes.

Group 6.
Malin MALMBERG / Thomas NORDAHL were absent
Alexandra NAZAROVA / Maxim NIKITIN she with a fringe on a spiral around of a leg. The level is higher over the others.
Darya POPOVA / Volodymyr BYELIKOV - in contrast to NN, they seemed rather weak

These two couples met expectations without the most memorable episodes:
Cecilia TÖRN / Jussiville PARTANEN
Guoste DAMULEVICIUTE / Deividas KIZALA

Group 7.
Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV - made a very good impression, worked well and intensively during the practice.
Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN were absent
Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO was not particularly impressive, maybe in contrast to the BS. Skated one of the few FD. She has a small jamb on the pair rotation.
Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN - a good couple, mistake in the second series of twizzles at the skating. Afier that made, the twizzles better.

Group 1 (skated last)
Anna YANOVSKAYA / Adam LUKACS - she fell
Adel TANKOVA / Ronald ZILBERBERG - one of the very few fully performed all dance
Sara HURTADO / Kirill KHALIAVIN - make a good impression, the best in the group, perhaps
Cortney MANSOUROVA / Michal CESKA - in their level
Katerina BUNINA / German FROLOV - she completely popped the first series of twizzles at the skating of program

LadyB

Record Breaker
Yesterday (Wednesday) was a beauty ! I feel so privileged to be here! If you’ve got any chance to watch the Opening Ceremony on video, please do it!!!! History of European Championships with skaters dressed in various period costumes. Then history of Russian skating with all the Greats shown on the Cube! Then of course Plushenko and his son on the ice!. The accompanying light effects were amazing!
Javi surely ruled Men’s competition. I felt sorry for Misha and happy for Moris! Dima and Sasha seem to take the great performances and not so great moments in turns. Matteo Rizzo is surely someone to watch. I never took much notice on the telly, but seeing him live is indeed different!
I have to say, the music is at times ear-piercingly loud!
Then Pairs, oh my! I feel mega sorry for Evgenia, I’m not sure what’s going on there. As for Ksenia, there is probably by now a psychological problem, but I hope they’ll sort that out by tonight. Without the fall, they would be second. But I hand it to Z/E, they might not be the most exciting, but they surely pull all the right strings. As you know, I’m biased towards S/K, but J/C are a treat to watch. Looking forward to tonight!
I’m meeting a lot of nice folks, including of course GS. It’s really tricky to coordinate it all. Took a picture of Alexei Rogonov and Fedor’s mum walked past me a good few times.
Moscow is amazing! Proper winter for me, not that windy-rainy London rubbish. Loving it. Could do with a bit more sleep, though.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Sorry for not popping in yesterday after, but it was a long day. We watched the three last groups in men and the results of the SP reflect quite well what happened in the practice. Javi used a bit of time to get his quads going, the runthrough was so and so, but he left looking quite relaxed. The Russians were in the same group but only if they happened to do sth next to Javi, they were noticed 😂 usually falling...

I was personally immensely pleased with the finish of the men's shirt, my faves all. All there also with good movement and charisma - they were clearly the high points of the evening.

The pairs result was also cool - the French wowed with their tech and performance. Marchei and Hotarek brought the house down!

The Russians were maybe a bit subdued after their own did so bad mostly, but certainly today changed that! Medvedeva ran up and down the corridor btw ice and audience before the introductions and people just went crazy taking photos of her! The ladies were awful for a change, only the last group saved the day. The pairs was hot and cold, sorry for the French not getting a medal, happy for the Italians doing ok with the free (and taking the internal italian competition once again in a majo championship).

Tomorrow we will go and see the two last groups in men's practices... I hope the snow stops coming by morning. I am in awe how quickly snow gets cleaned up here! Today I also did my civic duty and voted I my country's presidential election at the Embassy 😊

E

LadyB

Record Breaker
Went to last group of Men’s practice. Dima Aliev didn’t turn up and I haven’t checked yet what the reason for this may be. Funnily enough, you’re sometimes less well informed when you’re live at an event, especially when internet is missing. Javi showed strong jumps, didn’t do a full run-thru. I forgot to mention earlier Deniss had a fantastic short and he might have another great night, same goes for Matteo Rizzo.
I’m still all over the shop from last night. Wow! I was soooo nervous. It broke my heart when Ksenia nearly started crying. Then I couldn’t believe they stayed second. I think J/C were a bit hard done by, they were amazing to watch.
Looking forward to Dance now! Then the boys later, should be a great atmosphere.
Oh yes, Lena Radionova signed my flag.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Oh she went to watch? That's nice as she's probably disappointed she didn't get to compete. Also, thank you and eppen for the practice reports!

That’s what I was thinking. Yesterday, I was lucky enough to catch the Small Medal Ceremony for Pairs FS! Alll three Mozer pairs up close! Fedya!!!! Ksenia is stunningly beautiful. They were both very disappointed with themselves and making the same mistakes again and again. Fedya says he’s tired of losing...
The last two groups of Men brought the house down. Brezina, Bychenko, Aliev and Vasiljevs all captivated the audience, which in Russia always stands like one man behind Kolyada. The climax of course was Javi whose jumps are just breath taking.
What puzzles me is that even the Men’s event wasn’t sold out, lots of empty seats. Maybe it’ll be different for Ladies tonight.
Dance was not without surprises. P/C twizzled themselves into pole position with amazing ease. As a fan, I’m a bit disappointed that Dima & Katia only came fourth, but Stepanova/Bukin simply were on fire! Although I’m struggling to like their SD, they presented it very well.
We’ve got freshly fallen snow, which means I’ll be going for a long walk in Gorki Park. I’m totally loving this.

LadyB

Record Breaker
By now I don’t know whether I’m coming or going, but I’m ready for Gala. Ladies is usually my least favourite event, but last night was extra special. I felt like in a gladiator arena in Ancient Rome.
Dance was also spectacular, or maybe I’m biased as a Dima & Katia fan. The one thing you don’t have at events like this is time. Never thought I’d meet so many lovely people and got loads of presents, such as the Rus Fed skating calender with huge pictures every month. Best thing has to be the personalised autograph by Fedor and that I saw him up close. That will put a smile on my face for a long time! Enjoy Gala, I’m off soon, meeting one of my new Russian friends and hopefully the wonderful samkrut again.
I’m back to my usual talking rubbish at 4 CC. Russia/Moscow is great!

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Back home already, but wanted to revel still in my Russian experience. I had a bit of prejudice going there (ha, what an understatement?!) - language barrier is high, you hear scary stories of Moscow etc. But it is simply a modern city that works in many ways better than my home town (Helsinki) and my adopted home town (Rome). The weather you can't help, but the way they dealt with the snow was truly impressive. Everything worked well and this morning coming to work I really missed the Moscow metro - a train every 90 seconds or so.

The competition was also well organized, even the rink worked well with the big crowds = the queues to the toilet were not impossible even when the place was packed and you could even get something to eat in the 20 minute resurfacing break. You almost could not do either in the breaks in Ostrava last year.

The saddest thing was the language barrier, because few people spoke any other language and my Russian is non-existent. Most situations were managed, though, usually even with some cheer, but it would have been nice to talk with the locals a bit more. This is also the first year when I'm traveling to competitions with friends and that has changed the way I get/need to socialize with others. However, many members of my personal figure skating society were there and I managed to chat with them every now and then.

We had out last evening meal in Cafe Pushkin and it was so good - the environment and the food both. Highly recommended! Coming from Finland, it was cool to get to taste the Russian versions of the dishes that get done a lot at home. Endless plates of borsch soup, pelmens, the very dark rye bread, and so on. Beef Stroganoff was spoiled for me by school kitchens who had no idea what it is all about, but the one in Cafe Pushkin was to die for.

I only yesterday fully realized that we lived in the rather posh Tverskaya region which really does have a lot of good restaurants and shopping and all sorts of other things there. And short distances to the main sights in the city centre! Kremlin's churches were some of the finest religious buildings I have ever seen. The metro stations are also quite amazing - I wish I had had the time to travel more lines. The state history museum was the only museum I had time to do, and it was good despite the explanations being almost exclusively in Russian...

So, the competition week was again quite amazing! Milan is my next stop...

LadyB

Record Breaker
I'm back and the memories will stay with me forever. It's been a real blast. The organisation was so wonderful. If this is anything to go by, the FIFA World Cup will be epic!
I went there on my own, but I was never alone. I always had company and the Russians I met, who I only knew from various networking sites, were absolutely amazing. I was a bit more lucky than eppen as most of them had pretty good English. It put me to shame and I really want to learn Russian now. It's a beautiful language.