R.I.P. Olympia - Library opened in honor | Page 7 | Golden Skate

R.I.P. Olympia - Library opened in honor

BlackPack

Medalist
The Library can also be more like a Salon where artists hang out - a place to discuss art, music, media, philosophy, literature, life, etc.

jasminum

Rinkside
R.I.P. Olympia :cry:
Thank you so much for all your posts.
They always had kind, thoughtful and positive words about skaters.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Perhaps the library could be expanded to include movies or plays/musicals. Like most of us she enjoyed all the arts. Or will that dilute it? She usually partipated in any movie thread if she saw the film.

Olympia was 63 and I am wondering and feeling a bit upset as to the cause. Maybe it has been ,entioned on an earlier page. Would it be too indelicate to ask if any poster who was her friend in NYC who knows the cause?

I also had an idea for Ziggy or a forum for any poster who passes away. Ziggy did these wonderful reviews in the comp folders and then gave his opinion. I learned a lot because he knew his skating, the technique, etc. Maybe we could have in memory of Ziggy a forum that is seasonal where a GS poster volunteers to list the technical content, how it turned out (edge call etc) then did a summary). I liked that Ziggy did this and though some would disagree he held his ground.

Does anyone feel we should have a forum for all posters who pass away? It seems like a frequent poster who disappears could be mentioned in GS post," where are they now?????" I was wondering about a couple other posters but they seemed young so I did not assume death.

Whether the person is the soul of discretion and very diplomatic or fiery in their opinion, I feel all are deserving of the memory section like at the Oscars. This makes me think of how upset I was when Robon Williams died. I think he too was 63 and millions mourned him.

Clearly many feel the loss of Ziggy and Olympia who loved music as well. I am in favor of the "Library" being discussions of other cultural media to include more people and make it a success. These are just suggestions and I'm happy with whatever admin decides. It's a nice idea. I want to believe that Ziggy and Olympia have already met in heaven and they have requested to see the best skating of their favorites. And in seconds God says well here is John Curry as a child in practice and Olympia and Ziggy get to watch all the stuff only God and their teachers saw.

One more suggestion I myself don't know how to do. She really adored Mao and Dai I think above all others. I wish someone would tell them one of their biggest American fans have passed. I am sure this forum is well known to all the big pro skaters. I remember when Mirai referenced a quote and mentioned "goldenskate lady.: It was cute.

I don't do facebook or twitter not do I go to their fan pages. I don't want to have to join to make a comment but I know both being retired now and maybe hearing less from fans they'd be touch to now of Judy/Olympia who absolutely adored their skating and them as people. If anyone does social media and knows the appropriate place, it would be wonderful to get a response from Mao or Dai on behalf of Olympia.

skateluvr, she had cancer. She had enough warning to make sure that her mother would be cared for and that she would die at home, as she wanted.
I love your idea of someone contacting Mao and Dai! Someone with better online skills than me.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
While there are many folk with Olympia's first and last name, here is a short article by someone who I think might be our Olympia from 1991...very interesting....

POWER SKATING

Published: April 7, 1991 New York Times

The idea of a style of figure skating based solely on jumps seems rather like a performance of Brahms played mostly on cymbals: when one element, no matter how flashy, takes over, the whole suffers ("Power Skating," by Jared Lubarsky, March 10).

Yet what worries me even more about the prospect of "jump skating" is the effect it will have on the skaters themselves. The sight of Midori Ito on television last month at the World Figure Skating Championships in Munich, Germany, hobbled by new and old injuries, made me wonder how many kids will be chewed up by this style. I fear that skating will become like gymnastics, with a constant procession of disposable 13-year-olds who thrill audiences for a season and then burn out or become too injured to perform. "Olympia" New York, N.Y.

Icey

Record Breaker
Not to pick nits, but was she not 65, the same as me? 1949 er?
Yes, every nice thing people said about her...RIP
It would have been great to see you at Boston, Olympia....

The Obit I found said she was born in 1949, September, which would make her 65. No matter her age her loss is a sad one for the forum and her friends and family.

BlackPack

Medalist
I'm really feeling the void of her absence now... It would be nice to read her opinion on what's going on during the GP circuit. Just so sad.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I'm not a frequent poster here these days, but I figured I'd post something in the new library section in Olympia's honor. I always enjoyed interacting with her, in discussions and by PM, and she'll be missed by many. May her memory be for a blessing.

desertskates

Medalist
Sorry for the late post. I am so, so sorry to hear this!! I always looked forward to and enjoyed her knowledgeable posts. She will be deeply missed. I wish for peace for her family.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I miss Olympia so much! My thoughts are with her friends and family. Even at this late date, it is so hard to write about her passing. She was an amazing person, generous of spirit, and patiently kind.

CarneAsada

Medalist
I've been away for a while and I was so sad to see this news when I logged in today. Rest in peace, Olympia. Condolences to her friends and family. She was the nicest poster I'd ever seen on the forums and I'll miss her ability to find something nice to say about everything and everyone.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
She was the nicest poster I'd ever seen on the forums and I'll miss her ability to find something nice to say about everything and everyone.
Good, nice, positive people make life better for everyone they touch, on forums or on the street....maybe we can honor Olympia by making an effort to be more like her...

anyanka

Record Breaker
This is a wonderful tribute and a sign of how tight-knit this community is. Thank you for starting this.