2024-25 Rhythm Dance theme | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2024-25 Rhythm Dance theme

RUKen

Rinkside
There is a strong possibility that we will get a lot of Glen Miller orchestra and Rock'n'Roll Elvis programs... I am almost okay with the first, but the latter... there is only one Elvis in skating... other than Stojko.
Glenn Miller died during World War II and his orchestra was no longer producing hit music during the 50's; the same was essentially true for nearly all of the big bands, except for a few of the Latin-rhythm bands. I wish there would be a 1930's/1940's theme (if they have to choose decades instead of dance styles), but I think that the ISU would consider that music to be irrelevant to their target audience.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Glenn Miller died during World War II and his orchestra was no longer producing hit music during the 50's; the same was essentially true for nearly all of the big bands, except for a few of the Latin-rhythm bands. I wish there would be a 1930's/1940's theme (if they have to choose decades instead of dance styles), but I think that the ISU would consider that music to be irrelevant to their target audience.
Thanks for this. It was my mom favourite music so I imagined it was more recent....she was born after he died... I have memories of her showing us how to do some cool moves on this music.. that's why I thought it may fit. So then, who do we have for twist? Shows you I know nothing about pop music

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for this. It was my mom favourite music so I imagined it was more recent....she was born after he died... I have memories of her showing us how to do some cool moves on this music.. that's why I t he ought it may fit. So then, who do we have for twist? Shows you I know nothing about pop music
Chubby Checker.

ETA: Posted then realized GKelly beat me to it lol!

Anyway, here is the original version of the twist from 1959

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am perfectly fine with the music of the era's to be portrayed in RD next season. The dances of the day that went with them is a whole other story.
Here is evolution of dance which shows 50s 60s 70s. I started the video at the 50's. Now, if I had my input, it would be dances and music of the 20s 30s and 40s.

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
The Stroll was one of the best dances.. certainly my favorite in junior high and high school. And Everly Brothers gave us one of its best songs with an upbeat rhythm. The Everlys, straight out of Appalachian music culture, it is said paved the way for music in decades to come. I believe they have a huge fan base in the UK.

Weathergal

Medalist
I am perfectly fine with the music of the era's to be portrayed in RD next season. The dances of the day that went with them is a whole other story.
Here is evolution of dance which shows 50s 60s 70s. I started the video at the 50's. Now, if I had my input, it would be dances and music of the 20s 30s and 40s.

The 20s, 30s, and 40s could have some really beautiful costumes -- or at least interesting ones anyway. 😉

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
The 20s, 30s, and 40s could have some really beautiful costumes -- or at least interesting ones anyway. 😉
I've got photos of my parents competing in Charleston contests as teenagers in the 20s, and winning national ballroom titles in the 1930s, my mother in gorgeous dresses sewn by my grandmother.

They gave up dance during the war and when my four brothers started arriving. In the late 50s and 60s, my father hid out in his workshop when my brothers had parties, so he could get away from "that so-called 🤬 music!" (Elvis, mainly). As a little kid, I'd perch at the top of the stairs and watch the teenagers dancing from above. I know more about that style from a bird's-eye view :popcorn:, although now and then one of my big brothers would put on a record and try to teach The Baby one of their dances for fun. My kindergarten teacher wasn't thrilled when I taught all my little friends the Twist :party2::palmf:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
A friend of mine has inspired me to think of possibly the worst future RD theme yet. Sure, the ones we’re hearing are pretty vague and dumb but imagine… “Commercials.” Top teams with programs to Coca-Cola and Fanta jingles, reminding you to drink your Ovaltine and perhaps get your hungry cat some MeowMix on the way home! :devil:
so avant garde! quick! fetch Bnoit phone number!
twist, rock'n'roll and disco ? Let me bet on disco brits 4.0 :)
no way!

cher-sonny-and-cher.gif

Can't you imagine them doing the Saturday Night Fever dance? No? Me neither :biggrin:
they did Fame...

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
No Beatles please, and no Beach Boys.
I think we're safe, I don't think either did songs that specifically related to dances. I hope.
I don’t see Gabi & Gui coming back for this
They did a disco one a few years ago, channelling their inner Olivia Newton-John, didn't they? I have this mental image of Gabi in pink tights and blue legwarmers....

icewhite

Record Breaker
Twist wants people to not touch each other, right?
They need to define a dance or musical categories, not decades.
I hope the final requirements will be better.

But there are lots of great German songs with hilarious lyrics from the 50s and 60s, and I hope that if the theme is too stupid, the German dancers will just pick highlights like "Ohne Krimi geht die Mimi nie ins Bett" or "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Honolulu Strandbikini".