2024-25 Rhythm Dance theme | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2024-25 Rhythm Dance theme

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
A friend of mine has inspired me to think of possibly the worst future RD theme yet. Sure, the ones we’re hearing are pretty vague and dumb but imagine… “Commercials.” Top teams with programs to Coca-Cola and Fanta jingles, reminding you to drink your Ovaltine and perhaps get your hungry cat some MeowMix on the way home! :devil:

Funny you should mention that. Here's a post I put up in 2014:

Wasn't sure which of the music threads would be the most appropriate, but since this deals with legal issues, I've decided to try this one.

Looking at the "Fun Commercials !!" thread in Le Café started me thinking.

Now that we have lyrics allowed, is there anything in the rules that prevents skaters from using music that could be perceived as advertising?

For example, in 2012, a song about Facebook by Valentina Monetta was selected as San Marino's Eurovision Song Contest entry. But, mentioning Facebook directly was seen as infringing a rule banning commercial messages, and the EBU disqualified the entry until the lyrics were changed. (New version, as performed in the contest)

Admittedly, this song wasn't actually advertising Facebook. It was just a song about what young people nowadays do on Facebook. But, what about a song whose lyrics were actually advertising something?

You know the way that some companies take songs and then give them new lyrics for their adverts. Well, there are a couple of insurance companies over here in Northern Ireland that do that with great effect.

A few years ago, one insurance company did a short ad using the tune of nursury rhyme "I'm H-A-P-P-Y". This isn't on YouTube, but another one they did using the tune of "If You're Happy And You Know It" can be found here.

Meanwhile, another insurance company did an ad using the tune of "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" by Bombalurina and children's TV star Timmy Mallet.

(Can you imagine what a skating routine using that song would turn out like?! :eek: )

Unfortunately, this ad isn't on YouTube either. But here is another ad the same company did using the tune of "It's Raining Men" by the Weather Girls. (In case you are wondering, that is local celebrity May McFetridge taking centre stage).

Somehow, I don't think this Gala number Irina Slutskaya did to Geri Halliwell's version a few years ago would have the same effect with those lyrics! :laugh:

I really hope the ISU have something written into the rules that prevents advertising within the song lyrics.

Otherwise, how long will it be until we are watching yet another(!) routine to George Bizet's "Toreadores", only this time with the lyrics "Stop at the Esso, at the Esso sign"...?! :eek:

CaroLiza_fan

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/posts/1024832

(Unfortunately, not all of the links in my post work any more)

But there are lots of great German songs with hilarious lyrics from the 50s and 60s, and I hope that if the theme is too stupid, the German dancers will just pick highlights like "Ohne Krimi geht die Mimi nie ins Bett" or "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Honolulu Strandbikini".

Oh my goodness! Although I knew that there were German versions of a lot of songs from the 60's, I never knew there was a German version of "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Polka Dot Bikini"!!!

Caterina Valente - "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Honolulu Strand Bikini"

Here's the version I am most familiar with, from 1990:

Bombalurina - "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Polka Dot Bikini"

And the original, from 1960:

Brian Hyland - "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Polka Dot Bikini"

As you can see, I mentioned the song in that 2014 post. But, if you do a search for "itsy bitsy", lots of members have been bringing it up. And suggesting it for a programme. It would be... interesting...

CaroLiza_fan

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I would think the twist would really mess up the ice, if many chose that as the dance to incorporate. It has to be done stationary, not on the move, so a couple skating late in a group would find an ice surface pitted with scratched-up pockets. Forget knee slides! Ouch :eek:!

gkelly

Record Breaker
I would think the twist would really mess up the ice, if many chose that as the dance to incorporate. It has to be done stationary, not on the move, so a couple skating late in a group would find an ice surface pitted with scratched-up pockets. Forget knee slides! Ouch :eek:!
I'm sure that the rules will continue to limit the amount of time that the skaters can remain stationary. All the elements that they need to do for points (except the "stationary lift" if they choose it, and the dance spin, both of which rotate in place) need to move across the ice.

Teams that choose the Twist will need to find ways to incorporate twisting movements into their dancing while skating across the ice. For example bracket-three-bracket or reversing rockers, or reversing choctaws.

Something like this for example.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I'm sure that the rules will continue to limit the amount of time that the skaters can remain stationary. All the elements that they need to do for points (except the "stationary lift" if they choose it, and the dance spin, both of which rotate in place) need to move across the ice.

Teams that choose the Twist will need to find ways to incorporate twisting movements into their dancing while skating across the ice. For example bracket-three-bracket or reversing rockers, or reversing choctaws.

Something like this for example.
OK, making the characteristic movement one-footed would work. I was imagining a second or two here and there of the two-footed deep-kneed waggling as done on the floor, grinding the blades into the ice. :eek2:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I have a granddaughter who does ice dance for fun, but has no interest (or time) to compete. She and her partner challenge themselves each year to make up two programs as if they were competing, just as a practice project. So they're looking for music for a 50s-to-70s rhythm dance. When I talked to her on the phone this evening, she asked me for some suggestions as to what was popular and skateable in those decades. Having been a classical music snob even as a little kid and teenager, I said honestly I couldn't remember anything in the way of party dance songs of the era.

Beth: Nothing? But Gran! You were alive then!

Words failed me. Excuse me while I climb back into my comfy coffin.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I have a granddaughter who does ice dance for fun, but has no interest (or time) to compete. She and her partner challenge themselves each year to make up two programs as if they were competing, just as a practice project. So they're looking for music for a 50s-to-70s rhythm dance. When I talked to her on the phone this evening, she asked me for some suggestions as to what was popular and skateable in those decades. Having been a classical music snob even as a little kid and teenager, I said honestly I couldn't remember anything in the way of party dance songs of the era.

Beth: Nothing? But Gran! You were alive then!

Words failed me. Excuse me while I climb back into my comfy coffin.
for the 70s it's disco, so tell her anything Diana Ross, Bonie M., Donna Summers, Gloria Gaynor, Bee Gess (actually a Saturday Night fever program would fit the theme)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
she could alternatively call Lewis and Lilah and ask them to share their playlist with her.
:) I haven't been paying much attention to this topic so has it been narrowed down to something specific? I think she was hoping for Simon and Garfunkel, which I could have helped her with more, but if it has to be 1970s? Her mother and sister are both chamber ensemble violinists, so that's what she heard at home growing up. Now she's allowed to play music while she works, but she's a junior pathologist so the background music has to be something quiet and calming. She says she tends to play a lot of Enya, or her mother's recordings. For someone in her 20s, she's pretty ignorant about popular music of today or in recent decades. Her husband/dance partner is an engineer who likes the precision of pattern dances but isn't into parties or clubs, so he's leaving the music choice up to her.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
:) I haven't been paying much attention to this topic so has it been narrowed down to something specific? I think she was hoping for Simon and Garfunkel, which I could have helped her with more, but if it has to be 1970s? Her mother and sister are both chamber ensemble violinists, so that's what she heard at home growing up. Now she's allowed to play music while she works, but she's a junior pathologist so the background music has to be something quiet and calming. She says she tends to play a lot of Enya, or her mother's recordings. For someone in her 20s, she's pretty ignorant about popular music of today or in recent decades. Her husband/dance partner is an engineer who likes the precision of pattern dances but isn't into parties or clubs, so he's leaving the music choice up to her.
it's rock and roll for the 50s (Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis...if we're lucky), twist for the 60s and disco for the 70s

gkelly

Record Breaker
If she's an ice dancer putting together a rhythm dance, she should choose dance music with a recognizable rhythm.

For freeskating, any kind of music would be fine.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
If she's an ice dancer putting together a rhythm dance, she should choose dance music with a recognizable rhythm.

For freeskating, any kind of music would be fine.
The free dance was easier for them to choose, it was the prescribed rhythm one that has them baffled. This past season they didn't like the theme and couldn't find music they wanted to listen to repeatedly :drama:. So since they weren't going to compete and weren't confined to the rules, they made a program to the Dance at the Gym number from West Side Story, a mambo, and skated that at their club's show.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am probably being facetious, but it all depends on whether the theme means any music that people danced to in those decades (which means more of less open slather), or more specifically dances or dance moves that were popular, or at least well known, from those eras. Yes yes, I doubt the latter and am hoping and praying that I am right there... except a little part of me is dying for someone to do the Funky Chicken (or even the Funky Gibbon, does anyone except me even remember that? :laugh2:)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am probably being facetious, but it all depends on whether the theme means any music that people danced to in those decades (which means more of less open slather), or more specifically dances or dance moves that were popular, or at least well known, from those eras. Yes yes, I doubt the latter and am hoping and praying that I am right there... except a little part of me is dying for someone to do the Funky Chicken (or even the Funky Gibbon, does anyone except me even remember that? :laugh2:)

Goody Goody Yum Yum! :biggrin:

Of course you're not the only one that remembers the "Funky Gibbon"!

I knew the "Funky Gibbon" long before I knew the "Funky Chicken" even existed. And when I did hear "Do The Funky Chicken", I thought it was a blatent attempt to cash in on "The Funky Gibbon"! (Of course, it was the other way around, seeing as the Chicken hatched in 1969 and the Gibbon wasn't released into the wild until 1975).

But for the benefit of those that don't know what on Earth we are talking about, here they are:

Rufus Thomas - "Do The Funky Chicken"

The Goodies - "The Funky Gibbon"

And in case anybody is thinking that they guy in the Goodies wearing the yellow shirt looks familiar, yes that is Bill Oddie, the original presenter of "Springwatch" and numerous other nature programmes on the BBC, back in the days when he was a comedian.

Can't believe that next week it will be 4 years since we lost Tim Brooke-Taylor (the guy in the red shirt). Yes, he was one of the early victims of COVID-19. I remember telling my Mum, and her being upset. She really liked him. Despite the clowning around he does in this video, he was a real talent, and very intelligent.

So as not to end on a sad note, as an extra bonus, here is a hilarious video of a cover of "Do The Funky Chicken" from 1970:

Tom Jones - "Do The Funky Chicken"

CaroLiza_fan

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Can I have the Age of Aquarius with Madi & Evan dressed as hippies?
Even if only an exhibition
My pairs partner and I skated to that once. Kind of depressing to realize it wasn't retro then, in 1979, it was a new piece of music and a bit controversial for skaters. Even my mother, when I told her what our exhibition music was that year, asked cautiously what we were going to wear as costumes :eek:.