Samantha Cesario retires | Golden Skate

Samantha Cesario retires

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Shame about Samantha, but...
I will finally say it: loads of people looved her Carmen... but she has had 4 years!!! of Carmens in her career. 2 LP and 2 SP. Why?

caitie

Medalist
Was she really that good in "feeling and performing" to the music? I really don´t recall any of her programs.

I think she was. Her Carmen LP the last two years was really genuinely fantastic and totally memorable to me. If she had more speed and power in her skating, I think she would have received much better PCS.

Poice

Final Flight
I really liked her Carmen's program. Too bad that she had problems with URs. I whis her luck in her future activities!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Was she really that good in "feeling and performing" to the music? I really don´t recall any of her programs.

Maybe I´m in a very bad mood today, but all the skaters compete in the same system, so to heard someone complain about it sounds a little like sour grapes to me.

Anyway, best wishes to her in her future plans.

The exact quote regarding her scores was: "Unfortunately, at times, the new system didn't lend itself to my strong suits and that is something that wasn't always easy to deal with."

The subhead ("Skater cites recurring injures, restrictive judging system in decision") sounded more sour grapes then what was actually said, IMO. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that what judges prefer didn't mesh with one's strengths. Had she competed in 6.0, her clean skates and performance ability probably would have fared better.

Her performance ability couldn't overcome the struggles of injuries that kept her from getting level 4 spins or improving in areas that receive greater reward, i.e. speed, ice coverage.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think Sam has potential to make a great coach. I suspect we will see her behind the boards with her own skaters very soon.

She does have an ability to capture attention, I suspect she will be able to translate that to keeping the attention of young skaters as a coach and inspiring them to want to keep skating.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Really, Sammi? The "new system"? You mean the "new system" that's been in place since you were 10 years old? Maybe even younger than that?

That just struck me as a really weird phrasing and made me think the accusation people loved to throw at Scott Hamilton of not understanding the IJS was symptomatic of a deeper issue. When you've got a young skater complaining about the "new system" when that system was in place probably since said skater was a Juvenile...that's an issue.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Yeah, I'm not sure I buy the whole 'it's the new systems fault' excuse since im pretty sure something ~ 10 years old ceases to be new.

That said I can't begin to imagine how frustrating it must be for skaters like Cesario who get so close to the top only to fall just short of national and international success. To know you are so close but know logically you can't make up the difference. It isn't the kindest sport in that regard.

I hope she finds sucess and happiness as a coach.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
NOOOOOOOOOOOO! :cry:

Ah, well. I liked her sassy faces, but I guess her technical problems were too much to overcome at this age and with her injuries. Good luck to her with her next steps.

Though, uh...

"I'm a skater who has always prided myself on my ability to perform for an audience and bring music to life. Unfortunately, at times, the new system didn't lend itself to my strong suits and that is something that wasn't always easy to deal with. Even though I have often felt the frustration all skaters feel at one time or another regarding scores not mirroring the performances they put out on the ice, I'm very proud of what I contributed to the sport and I feel ready to move on to the next chapter."

bb, I love you, but I don't think the judging system was the main problem here.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
OMG NO

Somebody find her a pairs partner or something

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
The exact quote regarding her scores was: "Unfortunately, at times, the new system didn't lend itself to my strong suits and that is something that wasn't always easy to deal with."

The subhead ("Skater cites recurring injures, restrictive judging system in decision") sounded more sour grapes then what was actually said, IMO. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that what judges prefer didn't mesh with one's strengths. Had she competed in 6.0, her clean skates and performance ability probably would have fared better.

Her performance ability couldn't overcome the struggles of injuries that kept her from getting level 4 spins or improving in areas that receive greater reward, i.e. speed, ice coverage.

I don´t know the entire article sounds very bad.

And as some have pointed out, is a system that have been in place for a long time now, since she was like 11 years old, maybe she should have get use to it by know.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I am not sure it is really "blaming the new system". I think what she says is quite accurate actually.
She says the new system didn't lend itself to her strengths and that is true. Under the 6.0 system she probably would have had a lot more success since it rewarded consistency and artistic impression, which she has.
The new system rewards technical accuracy and skating skills the most, which are not her strengths. I don't think saying the new system didn't reward her strengths but other things is false or out of place.
And I understand that sometimes coming to terms with that must have been hard.

Anyways, good luck to her!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am not sure it is really "blaming the new system". I think what she says is quite accurate actually.
She says the new system didn't lend itself to her strengths and that is true. Under the 6.0 system she probably would have had a lot more success since it rewarded consistency and artistic impression, which she has.
The new system rewards technical accuracy and skating skills the most, which are not her strengths. I don't think saying the new system didn't reward her strengths but other things is false or out of place.
And I understand that sometimes coming to terms with that must have been hard.

Anyways, good luck to her!

Yeah, she didn't sound like sour grapes to me personally. It sounds like she was coming to terms of her own personal limitations that she believe would keep her from succeeding under the current competitive environment, including the scoring system. She didn't trash other competitors nor did she call for reform or change, simply noting her own limitations for success.

As the old saying says, insanity is trying the same thing hoping for a different result. She's choosing the opposite -- going in a different path.