Shoma Uno retires from competitive skating | Golden Skate

News Shoma Uno retires from competitive skating

News

rabidline

Final Flight
I appreciate the quick revision @gsk8 !

If one had paid attention to everything he said in interviews in the last year, this should not be a surprise. It's time. He has done everything he can to prepare himself for retirement. So many memories, and so much happiness- thank you for the pleasure of sharing your career with us Shoma and wishing you all the best!

Last edited:

icewhite

Record Breaker
I will join the choir of voices saying this is not surprising but competitive figure skating loses something precious nonetheless.
He has given us great skating, great programs, perfect performances, great pictures, and if I ever open up a figure skating high fashion thread he will feature for sure.
All the best to Shoma.

🍹🍭💐

Ivana

On the Ice
While the news does not come as a surprise, it does make me sad. Competitive figure skating just lost an incredible skater, it was a joy to follow Shoma for years, watch him when he was at his best and root for him even more when he was struggling. He's had a great career and accomplished what many can only dream about, I wish him all the best in whatever he chooses to pursue in the future.
Thank you, Shoma! :thank:

Magill

Record Breaker
All the best to Shoma and thank you for all these years! :thank:
Nothing surprising but he will be dearly missed! Yet he can be proud of what he has achieved and even more of what he has shown whether it brought him an "achievement" in any given event or not. I am sure he will be fondly remembered.
On a more personal note, it is sad for me to see another guy from the golden era of men's skating retire from competitions. I really loved all the cohort of them as they made men's events both exciting and classy. I thought of him a bit as the "last musketeer" from those days... And now with his retirement (and Jason half retired for the last two seasons or so), they are all mostly gone.
Anyway, off to the shows ! :)

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is not every day that a person can make you travel around the world to see them perform. Shoma was just such a person for me during the latter half of his competitive career. There was something about his speed, his fluidity of motion, and how he always performed with maximum intensity which kept me going to competition after competition. He has been such a champion both on and off of the ice and I wish him the best of luck moving forward with whatever he decides to do in life. 💕

If any of you wish to see his retirement press conference in a few days' time, it will be found at the video link below. ⬇️

Rikku

Just enjoying the skating
Final Flight
I'm always glad when an athlete gets to retire on their own conditions and timeline, and is not forced into it by injury or other reasons beyond their control, but I'm still really sad to see Shoma leave. All the best for him for the future and a huge Thank You for all he's done and shown.

I bow to thee, Shomajesty.

readernick

Medalist
It's not surprising but it is saddening. He was my favorite skater of his generation and one of my top 5 favorites of all time. The first time I saw him skate, I became a fan. He's tiny but he can fill a rink with one movement. Shoma's skating always moved me. He performed to music that others couldn't. I will miss his skating so much. But, I hope he finds satisfaction and happiness in his future endeavors!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Mom just called me with the news. I feel so fortunate that I was able to see him skate life twice. Uno always will be my most special skater, because along with Zagitova he completely blew my mind when I glanced at 2018 Olympics! He is wonderful and I will always measure everyone's musicality and expression versus him ❤️ ♥️ 💖

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am gutted. For me, there will never be another skater like Shoma. I knew this was coming sooner or later, but I was hoping at least a little bit later. When I feel a little better, I will count my blessings and be happy knowing that I saw him 13 times live and made every effort to see him whenever I could. It is so satisfying that he is retiring on his own terms and not due to injury or mental health issues. I will never forget his extraordinary skating. Our tiny magician -- Shomajesty, Shomachka, Shomalino, Shomita.

Adding -- I opened my closet this morning and what did I see but my favorite sign to take to competitions. Such good times! Thank you Shoma!
20240509_090054.jpg

Last edited: