Short Dance: 2013 Skate Canada International | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Short Dance: 2013 Skate Canada International

emdee

Final Flight
S/B SD
underscored especially in PCS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5ax0R8MMfY&feature=player_embedded

and screwed over by their own federation, their programs have more mileage
lost another GP instead gave it to the similar height dancers M/K :disagree: who recent just scored a 52+ and beaten by P/C by more than 7 points at Cup of Nice
I gave particular attention to SB today because you are such a fan and I was seeing them in person for the first time. I felt their marks were generous. They were fun and had a quirky lift but felt they were still junior ish.
I am sure they will develop nicely.

riceplate

On the Ice
Two competitions into the Grand Prix and its frustrating to watch the Finnstep section stick out like a thorn. Either the lower tier teams look sluggish with the quick movements, or maybe these coaches/choreographers don't seem to integrate the compulsory pattern very well into the program. They need to find better music cuts to suit that portion.

Uploaded the top two SDs (no commentary) --

Weaver/Poje: http://youtu.be/C_6U5NZOlLU
Virtue Moir: http://youtu.be/tKRuDvj-Lpg

I enjoyed the SDs from the top CDN teams! I'm with Tracy Wilson - that midline step from Tessa and Scott was exquisite.

While well-performed at Skate America, Meryl and Charlie's My Fair Lady feels plain-Jane compared to W/P and V/M's programs. I wish D/W would switch up the music some.

apple123

On the Ice
This thread has become the show of blackswanphoto and sweetskates1, aka BS, aka ********. I had so much fun reading, haha

Mao88

Record Breaker
SHORT DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR (CAN) - 73.15 Short Dance
2. Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE (CAN) - 70.35
3. Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE (USA) - 60.92
4. Ekaterina RIAZANOVA / Ilia TKACHENKO (RUS) - 59.79
5. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA / Alexander GAZSI (GER) - 55.91
6. Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN (RUS) - 55.63
7. Alexandra PAUL / Mitchell ISLAM (CAN) - 53.74
8. Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI (ITA) - 52.03

Mao88

Record Breaker
SHORT DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS

2. Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE (CAN) - 70.35 Short Dance
3. Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE (USA) - 60.92 Short Dance
4. Ekaterina RIAZANOVA / Ilia TKACHENKO (RUS) - 59.79

Ice Diva

On the Ice
S/B were okay. They have interesting choreography but they're not equals. Ivan surpasses her and it shows. Their edges are shallow and maybe it was nerves but Alexandra was stiff. Their slow step sequence had no character, it was stiff. They do have decent twizzles and you see beginnings of a good pair but to say they were great. Not yet, no way the scores were fair. I just wonder how R/T got their marks. They were painfully slow and they lack personality on ice.

Agree with everything you've said. Ivan is a lovely, lyrical dancer but Alexandra more a pairs skater with often awkward body position with stiff shoulders & arms. She is athletic but needs more time at the bar (;)ballet, that is).

herios

Medalist
Agree with everything you've said. Ivan is a lovely, lyrical dancer but Alexandra more a pairs skater with often awkward body position with stiff shoulders & arms. She is athletic but needs more time at the bar (;)ballet, that is).

I also agree with you both. In the long run, Stepanova will hold back Bukin, she is not graceful, with her long limbs, rather awkward in many instances. That lift position, where she tries to wrap around him looked ugly.
Andrei also slipped in his sbs footwork, bending, they got hit with a level 2 there. They will make progress in the future, no question, but they are not soup yet for the Olympic team.

herios

Medalist
^^ Agreed. My concern is why do the judges seem to low ball P/I. Carmelengo, looked livid.

These guys keep making costly errors. I watched the program carefully, and while there is no visible error for the non expert eye, I was sure they screwed up some levels on the finnstep. And they knew it, because in the K&C Alexandra was saying something to Camerlengo about their edges.
On the second key point they got 1. Also their step seq. got level 2.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I also agree with you both. In the long run, Stepanova will hold back Bukin, she is not graceful, with her long limbs, rather awkward in many instances. That lift position, where she tries to wrap around him looked ugly.
Andrei also slipped in his sbs footwork, bending, they got hit with a level 2 there. They will make progress in the future, no question, but they are not soup yet for the Olympic team.

I think because she is soo statuesque she looks a bit clumsy in her upper body movement but doesn't mean she can't control it in the future
Oksana Domnina did and she was tall too. she doesn't need ballet because she already does it and is very flexible

S/B are Not Olympic Team ready but R/T are ? they are slow as a pair of sloth with the same repetitive program every season
I'd take this two over R/T or M/K

rain

Record Breaker
I enjoyed the SDs from the top CDN teams! I'm with Tracy Wilson - that midline step from Tessa and Scott was exquisite.

I absolutely loved both programs. Excellent vehicles for both teams. I thought the way V/M flew through the Finnstep portion was also just stunning. This is clearly a great program for them to take into the Olympics. Clean up the obvious error on the twizzle and it's sensational (I'm almost kinda glad they have something to work on still...). I genuinely feel sorry for those who can't see how great and special V/M are, much like I feel sorry for those who don't appreciate Patrick Chan. It's genius on ice, these are rare and special skaters.

And that is hands down the best I've seen W/P skate. I had a smile on my face the entire time. I've never really loved this team, but with this program they've really stepped it up. I hope their LP is equally good.

rain

Record Breaker

Re: Stepanova and Bukin, I was distracted by the horrible mish-mash of strange music cuts they used.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^ Agreed. My concern is why do the judges seem to low ball P/I. Carmelengo, looked livid.

Look at the protocol. They got L4 for their twizzles, but only +1 GOE from the judges. Their step sequence got only L2 again with +1 GOE. Then came the Finnstep. After getting only level3 on the first pattern of the FinnStep, they totally blew the second pattern. I had UniversalSports on and Tanith Belbin was commenting. She noted that they got off on the wrong beat right at start of the second pattern and took that level down to L1. They got all 0 and -1 GOE for both patterns of the Finnstep. They did get some +2 GOE for their L4 rotational lift, but overall neither the tech team nor the judges were impressed with Paul/Islam's SD. They had the lowest PCS scores in the competition.

Mao88

Record Breaker
SHORT DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

2. Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE (CAN) - 70.35 Short Dance
3. Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE (USA) - 60.92 Short Dance
4. Ekaterina RIAZANOVA / Ilia TKACHENKO (RUS) - 59.79 Short Dance

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Who cares how they feel. Their sports didn't measure that.

Ask a syncro diver.

Absolutely. Because being in perfect synch during continuous movement with another human being is one of the hardest things to do. It's one of the reasons why ID couples who've been together longer tend to look more polished--it takes a long time to make that kind of synchronicity look "easy" and effortless.

elif

Medalist
Why Stephanova/Bukin's twizzles getting same or less GOE than Weaver/Poje or Riazanova/Tkachenko? They are holding their blades, arms over the shoulders and jumping entrance last one. They are very sure and fast while twizzles fitting the music. :slink:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Why Stephanova/Bukin's twizzles getting same or less GOE than Weaver/Poje or Riazanova/Tkachenko? They are holding their blades, arms over the shoulders and jumping entrance last one. They are very sure and fast while twizzles fitting the music. :slink:

yep getting lower GOE than R/T is a joke
S/B have the second best twizzles after D/W, those twizzles are level 4 worth +2 GOEs

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
This thread has become the show of blackswanphoto and sweetskates1, aka BS, aka ********. I had so much fun reading, haha

for me too, I guess it must be hard to put together all of these alter egos...