Skateable, Never-Before-Used Music | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Skateable, Never-Before-Used Music

mrrice

Record Breaker
LOL Now that you mentioned it, I wouldn't mind some lady does a routine with Seven of Nine caracter. ;D TNG opening is not bad either, but it screams 'Star Trek' whereas Voyager could go unnoticed. :p

YES....On Seven Of Nine. One of the most popular Non- Original Characters in series history. She basically took over Voyager when her character burst on the scene.

Last edited:

leafytoes

Spectator
With the Olympics in South Korea next season I'd love to see someone skate to either 'Reminiscent' or 'When the Love Falls'; both by Yiruma.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am currently working on a project for somebody, and while doing it I have been taking the opportunity to catch up on listening to a local radio programme that I had got behind with, due to all the winter sports that have been on recently.

Listening to so many editions in a row just emphasised to me that the mid-morning show isn't anywhere near as good as it was when it was presented by my favourite radio presenter, the late Gerry Anderson.

This put me into a bit of a nostalgic mood so, once I did get caught up, I went onto YouTube and started listening to clips of Gerry's show that had been uploaded. And it made me so happy hearing him and his unique style again.

Anyway, Gerry always used the main theme from "The Big Country" as his show's signature tune (even after the BBC brought in standard jingles to be used by all the shows on Radio Ulster, Gerry still continued to play "The Big Country" at the start of his show every day to make a point).

And it started me wondering if anybody had ever skated to it.

So, I did a Google site search to see if it was listed in any of the Programmes threads on GS, and there was no joy. BUT, it did come up with this conversation in a thread called "Music Ideas for All Skaters":

Evan may also consider the theme score from "the Big Country", should be a perfect choice for 2009 LA Worlds :rock:

Big Country is very apt as you suggest for Worlds in LA.

Evan seems to prefer and does best, IMO, with character driven pieces. Not being familiar with the stories behind either, I'll be interested to check out the sources further.

Looking at his Wikipedia page, it seems Mr. Lysacek did not take up the suggestion.

But, did anybody else? Or, does it belong here in the "never-before-used music" category?

As it is, "The Big Country" is too long for the SP, and too short for the FS. But, if it was edited well, I could imagine it making a good skating programme.

In fact, because of the way the tune is constructed (a dramatic part at the start, then a mellow bit in the middle, and then back to the dramatic part at the end), I think it would be perfect for an Ice Dance routine.

Wouldn't suit the SD's Latin American theme for next season, though! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

Eeyora

Final Flight
I know it's been mentioned but I'm all for Anna Pogorilaya skating to a Dr. Who themed program.

"locomotive Breath" by Jethro Tull. I'd love to see Plushy pull this off! Quad combination as the music transitions Andover the top footwork sequence!

blowout1981

Spectator
Don't know if it's been used but Quincy Jones' jazzy take on " On the Street Where You Live" would be a great SP for Max Aaron or Nathan Chen

bwayrose7

On the Ice
It's pretty new, so I don't think any top-tier competitors have used it yet, but I think "She Used To Be Mine" from Waitress would make a really powerful program for a lady. It's more mature as far as emotional content, so I wouldn't suggest it for a younger skater, but a lady like Ashley, Carolina, Mirai, etc.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDDqIxGk9pg

From the same musical, I think "Bad Idea" might be a very funny song for certain ice dance teams :laugh: (again, probably only at the senior level): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyFmHDCiHdw

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's pretty new, so I don't think any top-tier competitors have used it yet, but I think "She Used To Be Mine" from Waitress would make a really powerful program for a lady. It's more mature as far as emotional content, so I wouldn't suggest it for a younger skater, but a lady like Ashley, Carolina, Mirai, etc.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDDqIxGk9pg

From the same musical, I think "Bad Idea" might be a very funny song for certain ice dance teams :laugh: (again, probably only at the senior level): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyFmHDCiHdw

Can't watch the video right now. What teams were you thinking of?

bwayrose7

On the Ice
Can't watch the video right now. What teams were you thinking of?

I was joking about any number of teams that inevitably get mentioned in the "chemistry" debates, because the song is basically about the two leads saying "it's a bad idea, me and you" and going for it anyway. It would probably be a fun tongue-in-cheek exhibition more than a competitive program, but it's got a pretty good pop-rock beat to it and a change of tempo in the midsection.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Has anyone skated to Star Trek Voyager theme song? I think this is quite adventurous, triumphant, somewhat nostalgic, overall great. As is, it is too short so it needs to be meshed with something else though.

Speaking on Sci-Fi themes ... I'd like to see someone skating to Lord Vader theme from Star Wars even if just for exhibition - I think that Anissina / Peizerat had epic one in the past but not sure about specific music selection. We have one great Star Wars program from Satoko so let it inspire someone!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Since Ed Sheeran's new album just came out, we could see at least a couple programs using stuff from it next season.

I'd love it if V/M did something with Ed Sheeran's new song Perfect. I'm listening to the album right now and I can totally picture them skating to it. I know some people want to see something more different, and I love dramatic programs from them, but I feel like this could work really well and I'm loving the song.

How Would You Feel could also work for skating.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And my beloved Orford/Hill also skated to its for their FD

That's my beloved Orford/Hill too:sad21::sad21::sad21: That and the Etta James/Johnny Mathis SD were great music; they didn't need over come it, they just complemented it.:sad4:

Last edited:

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
Another vote for Game of Thrones here. It's mindboggling that no top skaters have touched this music yet. It's almost criminal.

I'd love for someone to skate to the Moonlight soundtrack as well.

Choreographers, coaches, and skaters need to drag themselves into the 21st century and explore some new music already.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
A Lovely Night from La La Land came on on my Spotify playlist and I could see a few different teams with different takes on it, but I really think a team like Piper and Paul could have a lot of fun with it.

gourry

Final Flight
Has anyone skated to Satie-Je te veux?
I have to confess that I got to know this piece from a dog food commercial first...:eek:: Really surprised to find out it was Satie's.
Anyway it's a very lovely piece and I think maybe it will work well for a junior skater.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I would love to see a dance or pair team use "That's What Is All About" by Michael Bolton. It's beautiful.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdCNib-vWHg

Has a Lady ever used songs from Alanis Morissette? Her "Jagged Little Pill" Album was so popular during the 90 and has sold more than 15,000,000 copies to date.

"ironic"

"You Oughta Know"

"Hand In Pocket"

and several others were huge hits.

Last edited: