Skaters that you feel would be great in the future and have never reach their full potential | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Skaters that you feel would be great in the future and have never reach their full potential

sarahanne

Spectator
I'd beg to differ on Abbott.
Brilliant skater for sure, but didn't quite reach it at the international level at worlds/olympics. But he was a challenger, so in that sense. I have Weiss listed too, and he did medal at worlds twice, but always thought he would reach higher and challenge at the Olympics for a medal.

Weathergal

Medalist
Mirai Nagasu

And who was the young girl that Tom Z was coaching? She had one bad FS at nationals and then she retired (injuries?). She was a young Asian girl, but she was lovely to watch.
Do you mean Ting Cui? Her nationals experience wasn't exactly as you're describing but it sort of sounds like her? She was so promising but had so many injuries. She switched coaches though to Natalia Linichuk and to my knowledge hasn't retired.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Who was the small Canadian girl who wore helmet at practice? Mira something? Maybe not WC but could have reached more than she did. She was on ice about at those days when Joannie Rochette was.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Who was the small Canadian girl who wore helmet at practice? Mira something? Maybe not WC but could have reached more than she did. She was on ice about at those days when Joannie Rochette was.
I didn't know about the helmet, but think you must mean Mira Leung. Her bio says she is 5'6" tall, which I don't believe for a minute!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Donovan is still competing, so he may yet improve, although of course I think he has already achieved a great deal, given his background :hap10:

Julian Yee and his cat-like jumps! it is a shame he did not get to compete more. :(

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Growing up yes but not sprouting like these Canadian boys. Shish poor Nam and GOGO really sprouted up quickl; too quickly, hard to adjust.
It's also quite frequent to sprout up... I grew about 5 inches in one summer. I think my brothers did too. I don't think it's quite uncommon really.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I didn't know about the helmet, but think you must mean Mira Leung. Her bio says she is 5'6" tall, which I don't believe for a minute!
Yes, she. I found from forum's archive this what a forum member had written: "When Mira was young, her mother insisted on her wearing a helmet, which unfortunately caused some troublesome habits, like a tendency to lower her head when jumping (from the weight of the helmet).". Also I remember commentators saying the same those days. I tought she was smaller, but I found this photo, Mira on the left:
60gzv8ZAeLeF-X_EtYI7v6Nio3IM5_b_VNNBz-7VevVFKlGGFhqYNdOdhzMQS-dRzhr5H8HH1C4LaA8H0l1ds1fmiEi54kh4Hd995BJ9-1j5c8gcebGKRAEq-jbSydYArqPDWy9pyMndVfU1lOtWgwo

Joannie Rochette is 160 cm but she does not look so much taller, maybe a couple little bit taller than Joannie in the middle. But she is one skater who definetely belongs to mention in this thread. Lesley Hawker is the lady on the right and Wikipedia says she is exactly as tall as Joannie.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Gosh I forgot about her! Canada’s Mira-cle! She at least went for content but was also coached by Eman’s coach so well, not surprised it didn’t work out for her.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Also, not sure she has been mentioned but I was totally rooting for Krisztina Czako. Athleticism galore and had a soft side too. Apparently she only skated an hour or two a day on public ice. If I had the money back then I would have sponsored her.

RobinA

On the Ice
Johnny Weir. I first saw Weir skate at a local competition and I looooved his Umbrellas of Cherbourg program. Pretty soon he showed up at Nationals and I was hoping for great things. He did do well, three National titles is nothing to sneeze at, but I really thought he was going to be one of the ones. Then he went Russian and it was never the same. I loved his pre-Zmievskaya skating. Probably one of my fave US men since 1968 when I started watching skating.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Johnny Weir. I first saw Weir skate at a local competition and I looooved his Umbrellas of Cherbourg program. Pretty soon he showed up at Nationals and I was hoping for great things. He did do well, three National titles is nothing to sneeze at, but I really thought he was going to be one of the ones. Then he went Russian and it was never the same. I loved his pre-Zmievskaya skating. Probably one of my fave US men since 1968 when I started watching skating.
I saw Johnny at his first Nationals in 2000 and my friend was raving about him and how he just started skating two or so years ago. He led after the sp and bombed the long, giving guess who the gold. I was waiting for him to set the world on fire, but it wasn’t meant to be.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Do you mean Ting Cui? Her nationals experience wasn't exactly as you're describing but it sort of sounds like her? She was so promising but had so many injuries. She switched coaches though to Natalia Linichuk and to my knowledge hasn't retired.
I think they mean Tessa Hong she was with Frank Carroll, then switched to Tom Z, got injured went back to Frank and then just retired.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Andrei Lazukin :( He like came out of nowhere it seemed and was in the top 10 at Worlds in 2019. I was so excited about his future! But alas...injuries kept him from ever reaching such heights again.

I wasn't here at the time, but wasn't Artur Gachinski once touted at a probable/possible Olympic medallist (after his OBM in 2011, maybe) and rising superstar?
Artur is a sad tale of expectations being too much :( When he had trouble at his second Worlds (which really could happen to anyone!) and his final standing meant Russia didn't get its second spot back, the Russian Figure Skating Fed lost their minds and piled on him. He was never the same after that. On his retirement the Head of the Fed basically said "Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

Ironically a couple of years later Maxim Kovtun had the same experience at Worlds and the Russian Figure Skating Fed did the exact opposite and pretty much coddled him, which wasn't the best idea either.

The lesson here: The Russian Figure Skating Fed is super bad at this sort of thing!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Dmitri Aliev

He was in the middle of his best season ever (making GPF and winning Euros and Russian Nationals) when Covid hit. I am not sure we will ever see him contest for the biggest prizes at this point as he is in his mid 20s already and has been competing forever. But yeah, I had high hopes for him as he was my favourite Russia skater (With Kolyada who did do slightly better in terms of Russian nationals and gold medals on the circuit though he, unlike Aliev, never won Euros, but also could be a case examined in this thread).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yep I mentioned her earlier. If I remember correctly she was another Joanne MacLeod hopeful She seemed to get great skaters that never seemed to manage their full potential - I think she had Mira, Kevin Reynolds, Emanuel Sandu and Jeremy Ten. I would probably add a tonne of Russian lady skaters in the last say 8 years.