Sota Yamamoto | Page 91 | Golden Skate

Sota Yamamoto

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Sota on his bronze medal. I really like his "Muse" program. I think tomorrow his face will hurt from smiling so much! :love:

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Interview with Sota after FS: Video is geoblocked. This is for those outside Japan: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16bI58c_kNAYliNMFh7kD2Wc9K75JWGB9/view?usp=sharing

Translation:
–This is Sota Yamamoto senshu, the 3rd place winner of the All-Japan competition. Congratulations.

S: Thank you very much.

–First of all, please tell us how you feel now after the award ceremony.

S: I feel very happy. My goal for this season was to stand on the podium at All-Japan, but I had many challenging competitions and hard training days during the season, but I am really glad that I worked so hard and I am really happy that all my hard work paid off today. I want to continue to strive for higher and higher goals without being satisfied.

–After the free skate, you gave a big, big fist clench and a big smile. First of all, how did you feel during the free program?

S: Well, everyone did really well, and the high scores kept coming, and the tension was building for me in the order of competition, but I was able to come out and do what I had to do without worrying about my ranking, and I am glad that it worked out for me. I wanted to give everything I had practiced with a normal mind, and I think I was able to show it all in this competition.

–You clenched your fist while you were skating.

S: Yes, I did. I already did it in the first half after landing a jump, not the last jump, and I already did a fist clench in the middle of the program to inspire myself, to raise my spirits, as if to tell myself, "I can't make any mistakes after this.

–Did that come out unintentionally?

S: Well, of course I was happy, but I was also trying to lift my own spirits, so yes, it was half and half.

–I heard the audience applauding very loudly. It was very enthusiastic.

S: Yes, I am very happy to finally finish with a good performance and a good result in the All-Japan competition for the 10th time, although I have not been able to finish with a good result in the past. I could also feel the support of so many people at the venue, so I was more than happy to be able to respond to everyone's support.

–It was really a wonderful performance. How do you feel about this 10th All-Japan, where you challenged yourself to show your strong and improved self?

S: Well, I was really disappointed in the last Grand Prix series, the Cup of China, and there were days when I was really depressed, but I am glad that I did not give up and I am glad that I worked so hard. I think I put that disappointment behind me and that is the reason why I have come this far. I am really happy that I worked hard every day.

–Finally, please show us your medal in front of the camera.
S: Yes.

Note: I added a link to the video of his interview after the SP in my previous post.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Thank you for the interview and its translation, Rainbow! I like Sota's fist pump explanation. I know there are folk who are bothered by them, but I find them funny in Sota's case. :] Belated congrats to Sota on his 4CC assignment! 👏 It was the competition I was hoping for him to get, although not entirely the company I hoped he'd have there.

Sota's gala: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10FW8iCEkjgMkP7zilYojbq7aXnHP1Ruq/view (big thanks for uploading, @tsuyoboogie !)
And for those who'd rather see just his dark eyeshadows than the entire gala: https://ameblo.jp/ching-shenlong/image-12833957463-15381450573.html Interesting look! At least he had fun. He also has his Unlim talkshow coming up soon. That should be a merry meeting! 🍀

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Partially cross-posted from Kazuki's thread.

As for the selection process of the WC and 4CC, correct me if I'm wrong, but based on the selection criteria that JSF had announced in July, I think this is how the WC spots were selected and the 4CC spots were determined.

Selection Criteria for the Worlds:
(1) The winner of the All Japan Championships will be selected.
Shoma

(2) One skater will be selected from those who meet either of the following criteria, based on overall judgment.
(A) The 2nd and 3rd place finishers of the All Japan Championships
2nd - Yuma 3rd - Sota
(B) The top two finishers in the ISU Grand Prix Final
3rd - Yuma 5th - Kao
(C) Top 3 ISU season's best scorers at the end of the All-Japan Championships
4th - Yuma 6th - Kao 7th - Shun

(3) The number of competitors will be selected from those who meet any of the following criteria until a total of three (3) competitors are selected, including those selected under 1) and 2) above.
(A) A) B) C) of (2) above, but not selected in (2).
Kao & Sota
(B) Top 3 in ISU World Standings at the end of the All-Japan Championships
5th - Kao 8th - Kazuki 10th - Shun
(C) Top 3 in ISU Season World Ranking at the end of Japan Championships
4th - Kao 9th - Shun 12th Sota
(D) The top three scorers of the average of the highest two competitions of the total points in the international competitions and the domestic competitions designated by the Department of Reinforcement.
Shun, Kao, Kazuki

Based on the above criteria, it seems a reasonable decision to send Shoma, Yuma, Kao to the WC. Shortly before the JNats, JSF released the names of the skaters who qualified for the WC selection at that time. Before the JNats, Sota was not even on the list of qualifiers to be selected for the WC. His only chance to be considered for the WC or 4CC was to win a medal at the JNats. I'm glad he did that and that he's going to the 4CC.

Last edited:

KiraraChin

Medalist
I'm really late to the party, but just want to say congratulations to Sota for his very well deserved Japanese Nationals medal :clap:
I'm so impressed by his mental strength, I hope this fuels him with confidence for the rest of the season - I'll be definitely cheering for him at 4CC 🔥

surimi

Record Breaker
Partially cross-posted from Kazuki's thread.

As for the selection process of the WC and 4CC, correct me if I'm wrong, but based on the selection criteria that JSF had announced in July, I think this is how the WC spots were selected and the 4CC spots were determined.

Selection Criteria for the Worlds:
(1) The winner of the All Japan Championships will be selected.
Shoma

(2) One skater will be selected from those who meet either of the following criteria, based on overall judgment.
(A) The 2nd and 3rd place finishers of the All Japan Championships
2nd - Yuma 3rd - Sota
(B) The top two finishers in the ISU Grand Prix Final
3rd - Yuma 5th - Kao
(C) Top 3 ISU season's best scorers at the end of the All-Japan Championships
4th - Yuma 6th - Kao 7th - Shun

(3) The number of competitors will be selected from those who meet any of the following criteria until a total of three (3) competitors are selected, including those selected under 1) and 2) above.
(A) A) B) C) of (2) above, but not selected in (2).
Kao & Sota
(B) Top 3 in ISU World Standings at the end of the All-Japan Championships
5th - Kao 8th - Kazuki 10th - Shun
(C) Top 3 in ISU Season World Ranking at the end of Japan Championships
4th - Kao 9th - Shun 12th Sota
(D) The top three scorers of the average of the highest two competitions of the total points in the international competitions and the domestic competitions designated by the Department of Reinforcement.
Shun, Kao, Kazuki

Based on the above criteria, it seems a reasonable decision to send Shoma, Yuma, Kao to the WC. Shortly before the JNats, JSF released the names of the skaters who qualified for the WC selection at that time. Before the JNats, Sota was not even on the list of qualifiers to be selected for the WC. His only chance to be considered for the WC or 4CC was to win a medal at the JNats. I'm glad he did that and that he's going to the 4CC.

I guess I'm hopeless at these combinations :laugh: Sota was on one of the lists of those being considered, right? But it depended on his Nationals result.

Anyhow, Sota has had his Unlim meeting with fans recently, and here's a photo from it of Sota and his bronze medal:

Also, Sota backstage in his Teeth costume with the makeup on:

I found all of that on Sota's Twitter after a long-ish Christmas break :)

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I guess I'm hopeless at these combinations :laugh: Sota was on one of the lists of those being considered, right? But it depended on his Nationals result.
No, he was not on the list of the qualifiers JSF released shortly before the JNats. The list on my previous post was after the JNats results. Here's the official list released on Dec. 18, before the JNats.
SpotSelection CriteriaEligible SkatersPossible to Move Up
1stThe Winner of All Japan--
2nd2nd & 3rd at All Japan--
Top 2 at GPFShoma, YumaKao
Top 3 SBShoma, Yuma, KaoShun
3rdSkaters left out of the 2nd selection
Top 3 WSShoma, Kao, KazukiShun, Yuma
Top 3 SWRYuma, Kao, ShomaShun, Sota
Top 3 Overall average scoreShoma, Yuma, ShunKao, Kazuki
As you can see, Sota was not on the list of qualifiers as of December 18th. This season, for the first time, the JSF announced the list of skaters eligible for the World Championships before and depending on the results of All Japan, so that skaters and coaches know the chances of winning a ticket to the World Championships.

surimi

Record Breaker
No, he was not on the list of the qualifiers JSF released shortly before the JNats. The list on my previous post was after the JNats results. Here's the official list released on Dec. 18, before the JNats.
SpotSelection CriteriaEligible SkatersPossible to Move Up
1stThe Winner of All Japan--
2nd2nd & 3rd at All Japan--
Top 2 at GPFShoma, YumaKao
Top 3 SBShoma, Yuma, KaoShun
3rdSkaters left out of the 2nd selection
Top 3 WSShoma, Kao, KazukiShun, Yuma
Top 3 SWRYuma, Kao, ShomaShun, Sota
Top 3 Overall average scoreShoma, Yuma, ShunKao, Kazuki
As you can see, Sota was not on the list of qualifiers as of December 18th. This season, for the first time, the JSF announced the list of skaters eligible for the World Championships before and depending on the results of All Japan, so that skaters and coaches know the chances of winning a ticket to the World Championships.

Actually, this list is just what I meant. He was in the 'possible to move up' list, meaning he was considered, depending on his Nationals performance, and that was enough to give me optimism.
Anyways, I'm glad he's shown JSF he's capable of putting together a 280+ performance. I know he can replicate that result, and perhaps hit 290, if he goes clean more times, which usually leads to a PCS rise.

BTW, a Fuji Network(?) video with Sota's FS has garnered 60k views so far! :clap: (I'm pretty sure at least 20 of those are mine :D )

And here's a simple Happy New Year wish from Sota to his fans:

surimi

Record Breaker
That's a cool photo of Sota, good find! I really should check out X more often ;)

There's no Nagoya Festival this year (no idea why?), so the next setting we'll see Sota in, is 4 Continents in less than a month.

Now, it's already January 10 in Japan - Happy Birthday, Sota! 🎂 🎊 💐 May your 24th year be filled with good health and joy! 🍀

surimi

Record Breaker
^ The Fuji TV Sota cut was awesome! I'd really like to see the medal ceremony, but haven't seen it around.
Here's Sota's tweet, thanking fans for their wishes:

He looks so happy, and it makes me glad. He deserves success so much. He's waited for several years to climb back on top, and these last two seasons, his wish has finally come true. ☺️

surimi

Record Breaker
Sota's Unlim fan meeting took place yesterday. Per the tweet below, the topics he covered included his birthday, how he spent the New Year holiday, his preparation for 4CC, and the makeup he wore for his Teeth gala at Medalists On Ice. That must have been fun! :]

Some interesting points from the previous meeting:
- he thinks he worked super hard at all elements, and he's glad his efforts paid off. He wasn't focusing on results, placements and points, he just wanted to show all he can do, and he was happy he succeeded in doing just that.
- he had some depressing days after China when practice wasn't going well at all, and had to try hard to motivate himself for Nationals
- he rewarded himself with cake for his skating at Nationals when he came back to the hotel
- he used aroma therapy to help him relax and rest during Nationals
- his cats are elderly now (he got them as a child, so it makes sense) :]
- his little sway in the opening pose reminded him of GPF 2022, where the same thing happened to him. It probably improved his already good & focused mindset even more.
- he tried not to see others' scores before his FS, but he noticed them by accident, and knew he had to deliver no matter what

What's on Sota's to-do list at the moment: 4CC in 14 days, then a day or so after he returns to Japan, he's scheduled for Daisuke's show, Kassouya. I hope he enjoys both!

surimi

Record Breaker
So, I hear that Sota said in his latest Unlim that 4CC is going to be his last competition for the season. I'm really sad about it. I kept hoping he'd be sent to a B event to rack up some points, but apparently, he's not in JSF's special 'strategy group', just like Kazuki. Kao can get Tallinn and its easy points eventhough he'd be in top 6 for WC anyway, but Sota can't get another scoring opportunity. All season long, he's been hurled against super strong opponents, and 4CC will not be different, with two top Japanese, Cha, Shaidorov and Boyang. Nice. Double standards much, JSF?

I really hate how no B events take place in Asia, so JSF have a very convenient excuse not to assign (those they don't want to assign). (n)

I'm happy for Sota's results this season, but JSF treatment of some of their skaters when it comes to assignments - particularly Sota, Nozomu and Tatsuya, and partly Kazuki (regarding 4CC) - has been subpar. I can have a hope yet for Kazuki and the other two to get a B, but my hope of seeing Sota live again, is just diminishing after this season. If they assign him that North America-Japan-China triangle again next season, I'll be very disappointed indeed.

Hoping that Sota uses the long off-season after 4CC to earn money in shows, and hopefully a sponsor for him comes by.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Can skaters in such situation offer their federation to go to a competition at their expense, and do a GoFundMe or the like?
Please excuse me if my question is stupid, furthermore the answer would vary depending on the federations.
Because there IS a question of funds: Japanese Skating Federation seems to have overspent on Speed Skating and not spared enough for when their most popular skater would leave competition.