State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17 | Page 90 | Golden Skate

State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Based on her NHK long program performance, I see Karen is a fighter. But she doesn't have that wow factor. If judges wanted to, they could have scored her PCs higher, as some folks have said she didn't score that high.

As for Karen ... I was really impressed by her LP at NHK, she looks like genuine senior skater right now and very strong one already. Those huge jumps (triple lutz!), fast spins, speed & cool interpretation of music :) From now I am really keeping my eye on her. I think she was bit underscored & underappreciated. That 3 Lo < call I do not agree with too but oh well.

Last edited:

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
As for Karen ... I was really impressed by her LP at NHK, she looks like genuine senior skater right now and very strong one already. Those huge jumps (triple lutz!), fast spins, speed & cool interpretation of music :) From now I am really keeping my eye on her. I think she was bit underscored & underappreciated. That 3 Lo < call I do not agree with too but oh well.

haha, I actually liked her short program more, despite a missed jump, and I think she may have choreographed that herself.
As for the scoring, I think overall she was in 6th place. Then who got 4th and 5th? I want to watch the 4th and 5th place finishers to compare with Karen's performance.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty

I just rewatched her short program....in my opinion, she was lowballed in her short program in PCS. 7th after the short program? When I compare her short to her long, it's just how I feel from watching her, but I find I enjoy her performance more when she performs to softer music. Well, this was a tough field of girls, you know. I don't even know who got 4th and 5th, but I thought Miyahara was overscored in the short.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I just rewatched her short program....in my opinion, she was lowballed in her short program in PCS. 7th after the short program? When I compare her short to her long, it's just how I feel from watching her, but I find I enjoy her performance more when she performs to softer music. Well, this was a tough field of girls, you know. I don't even know who got 4th and 5th, but I thought Miyahara was overscored in the short.

Well I did not watch her SP yet as I did not follow NHK live due to time difference :)

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Very nice (and shocking to me) to see Amber as one of the lady skaters going to Golden Spin later this week along with Gracie/Ashley.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=84032&menu=TeamUSA

Amber is such a strong skater yet so inconsistent (mental weakness seems to overtake her). She is one who can truly compete and, IMO, would have probably benefited from a coach change many years ago (and may still despite her recent change). Nevertheless, she is a talented skater and GS will be a good run thru for all 3 of the girls before Nationals.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Maybe Kostner's participation boosted the significance of the event.

Very nice (and shocking to me) to see Amber as one of the lady skaters going to Golden Spin later this week along with Gracie/Ashley.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=84032&menu=TeamUSA

Amber is such a strong skater yet so inconsistent (mental weakness seems to overtake her). She is one who can truly compete and, IMO, would have probably benefited from a coach change many years ago (and may still despite her recent change). Nevertheless, she is a talented skater and GS will be a good run thru for all 3 of the girls before Nationals.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
What boosted the significance of the event is that it is the last big non-GPF international prior to Nationals. (And during the year prior to the Olympic season).

What boosted its significance for Gracie & Ashley is that neither qualified for the GPF.

USFSA often sends its strongest non-GPF qualifiers to Golden Spin. (Last year, they sent Adam Rippon, Kayne & O'Shea, and Hawayek & Baker).

I'm still surprised Ashley is going, since she doesn't usually participate in Challengers (or 4CCs). But she is used to having a competition at this time so apparently she wished to do so as part of her preparation for Nationals, etc. And it is a great field at Golden Spin. Especially in the ladies field. Liza, Carolina, Ashley, & Gracie.

Last edited:

jrice314

Rinkside
I know it's early but this is my perhaps wishful predictions for Nationals:

1. Ashley Wagner
2. Mariah Bell
3. Karen Chen

But really, with Gracie not doing well and Polina injured, this year is anyone's game. I really hope the commentators and judges go in with the mindset that whoever skates best on those nights gets to be on the team, and not do the thing where they care about reputation / past achievements. Based on the skating I have seen this season, I think Mirai Nagasu and Bradie Tennell could also do well. Tessa Hong and Courtney Hicks also have an outside chance at the podium--Courtney was great at her first grand prix but she never seems to do well at Nationals. Polina, if not injured / distracted by college, is always a contender. If Gracie gets it together she could also impress. I guess I just don't want to see Gracie skate terribly in the short and skate well in the long and win anyway. If she wins, she needs to do it with two clean skates. Otherwise, it's really unfair to others who skate clean. But if Gracie doesn't skate very well and others do better, they should let others be on the team. It's not fair to always send the same girls in hopes that they'll do better. Whoever skates best should go! And who knows? Maybe that's what Gracie needs to get angry for 2018. But I think it's possible she has already peaked. Anyway, we should be more like Russia in terms of rewarding who is skating well RIGHT NOW and not always counting on the same people.

It should be an exciting competition and I'm so excited!!!

stella luna

Final Flight
I agree with you, but credibility and reputation with international judges are factors that can't be ignored, unfortunately.

1. Ashley Wagner
2. Mariah Bell
3. Karen Chen

But really, with Gracie not doing well and Polina injured, this year is anyone's game. I really hope the commentators and judges go in with the mindset that whoever skates best on those nights gets to be on the team, and not do the thing where they care about reputation / past achievements. Based on the skating I have seen this season, I think Mirai Nagasu and Bradie Tennell could also do well. Tessa Hong and Courtney Hicks also have an outside chance at the podium--Courtney was great at her first grand prix but she never seems to do well at Nationals. Polina, if not injured / distracted by college, is always a contender. If Gracie gets it together she could also impress. I guess I just don't want to see Gracie skate terribly in the short and skate well in the long and win anyway. If she wins, she needs to do it with two clean skates. Otherwise, it's really unfair to others who skate clean. But if Gracie doesn't skate very well and others do better, they should let others be on the team. It's not fair to always send the same girls in hopes that they'll do better. Whoever skates best should go! And who knows? Maybe that's what Gracie needs to get angry for 2018. But I think it's possible she has already peaked. Anyway, we should be more like Russia in terms of rewarding who is skating well RIGHT NOW and not always counting on the same people.

Last edited:

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I think everyone counting Gracie out because of a late start and rough beginning need to look a bit closer. Gracie is a fantastic skater who has said she still desires world and olympic success. This weekend will be telling but even if she crashes I still think she'll fight for the nationals podium if not the title. I said it before the most dangerous athletes are the ones watching their dreams slip away.

stella luna

Final Flight
I'd love for Gracie to prove everyone wrong! She can do it.

I think everyone counting Gracie out because of a late start and rough beginning need to look a bit closer. Gracie is a fantastic skater who has said she still desires world and olympic success. This weekend will be telling but even if she crashes I still think she'll fight for the nationals podium if not the title. I said it before the most dangerous athletes are the ones watching their dreams slip away.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Unfortunately, I don't think Mariah can go much beyond her 3rd place at Skate America. I feel it is pretty much the same situation when Christina Gao grabbed a SA Silver in 2012. Gao was a better skater though.
Mariah's jumps are unstable, and her skating skills are pretty average. Very few female skaters can improve their jumps after they reached 20. Ashely Wagner is a rare case. But considering she is 20, and she is still seriously competing, chances might pop up again for her in the future. Lots of U.S. ladies are in a semi retirement mode or retire completely around the time they should go to college. Hope Karen Chen can be more consistent and don't retire to go to college, because she has so much more potential.

Huh? Mariah Bell actually changed my perception of what American skaters are capable of with her SA skate. Frankly I don't think Wagner or Gold has ever reached that kind of level ever.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice

So true, just like the baseball player who can't hit a watermelon when in a slump or like a hockey player who can't hit the side of a barn with a slap shot when in a funk, Gracie may very well need some time to get her head straight and the best way to have this happen is just keep plugging away, keep her head in the game and after 1 or 2 good performances, start believing in herself again and she will be back (hopefully, fingers crossed).

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice

1. Ashley Wagner
2. Mariah Bell
3. Karen Chen

You make some really nice points and I always get frustrated with this sport for the simple reason that I cannot understand some of the decisions made by the USFS regarding certain skaters. Anyhow, I hope Mirai can podium as she has always been one of my favorites, going back to her Nationals championship at age 14, I remember watching her when she was only 11 saying that this girl is going places in this sport. It has been one heck of a ride since then, but she is a wonderful young lady. Unfortunately, I can only say that about 2-3 other youngsters at this point - time will tell.