Stolbova/Klimov out of Worlds | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Stolbova/Klimov out of Worlds

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Although their style is not my favorite, a win by D/R should not ever been seen as a win by default. The technical content in their programs has been a game-changer in pairs skating. Their influence on the future of the sport is, at this point, incredible.

As evidence, I suggest we refer to this thread. Essentially, D/R's main competition for the season has thrown in the towel, giving up any hope of defeating them, and has begun working on a more impressive technical arsenal so that they might have a chance next year.

That is not "winning by default." That is "dominance."

As much as I might prefer another pair in terms of style, I believe they deserve this world title, and I think they would be worthy champions.
We don't know how D/R will skate at Worlds. If they mess up and win, it'll indeed be a win by default (if everyone else messes up too) or by overscoring (more likely...).

S/K dropping out of Worlds doesn't prove anything about D/R or their "dominance." It just proves something's up in Team S/K. In fact, S/K's actions are bizarre precisely because Worlds is not a done deal, to most people anyway...

slider11

Medalist
Duhamel and Radford are the Worlds' favorite. Their performances all season and the judges' reactions make that real. BUT it still remains to be seen how this plays out. With Stoblova and Klimova out, this obviously narrows the top field even more. But I still rely on the Chinese teams and my personal favorite ,Kavaguti and Smirnov, to have a chance. No disrespect to the Canadians but I do think it would be a particularly special moment for the ever-dramatic and ever fragile (will her shoulder pop out of its socket!) Kavaguti and Smirnov to pull this off. Or will Pang and Tong bring forth a miraculous, "we're still alive" performance and rock the house? Or will some dark horse team emerge? At least this makes it a little more exciting to watch!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course, Sandpiper. My comments are in reference to the earlier post in which a D/R win without their main competitors would somehow be seen as "lesser."

I think that is grossly unfair to D/R.

I agree with your point on D/R having to deliver when it matters.

My point about their "dominance" this season... I don't back from that. Even setting aside their competitive results with some less-than-perfect programs...

I believe there is more to the story with S/K than has been revealed in these articles, but taking them on faith... D/R have run their main competitors off the ice before the competition even begins. That's not dominance?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I believe there is more to the story with S/K than has been revealed in these articles, but taking them on faith... D/R have run their main competitors off the ice before the competition even begins. That's not dominance?
No it's not. Because what S/K did says a lot more about S/K than it does about D/R. There are plenty of other teams who have faced a similar situation, and they did not withdraw from Worlds.

(I'm not saying this to be mean to S/K. We don't know the whole story, and they're not obligated to go to Worlds. Just saying, you cannot measure how dominant a team is by how their opponents react to them... because said opponents won't react the same way even when the situation is the same/worse).

Ilvskating

Final Flight
This year's pair is super exciting. Now it is a war of quads with high level performance. Rumor has it that the two top Chinese teams did not participate the Nationals to practice quad throws, so it is likely we could seem two Chinese teams having double quads in the LP, twist and throw. If P/T skate clean, they have a shot too. So it is really hard to say what's going to happen at World. I like K/S' programs better this year, just amazing! D/R has their edge technically, but if the Chinese teams take out double quads, then that edge will diminish. D/R have been supper consistent this season and I believe they will keep that stream at world. If everyone skate clean it would depend on the judges to say who win. I can't even make up my mind. I will know who to root after watching it live. I'm going to the World and I'm really excited about it!

Amei

Record Breaker
I'm still banking on that there is something going on behind the scenes and it's more than 'learning new elements for the upcoming season' - because the Fed's most likely signed off on the withdrawal.

If money was the issue, would they really risk upsetting the Fed (like if for instance Russia loses their 3rd spot) because then the Fed could pull more funding... That was what was threatened/mentioned whenever Lipnitskaia accidentally missed the medal ceremony at CoC this year that the Fed might cut off her stipend for a few months.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Over the course of this season, D/R are undefeated. They have defeated every major rival; no one has been dodged that I can tell. They have won every Short Program and every Long Program they have skated. These are their margins of victory for their competitive season thus far.

Skate Canada Autumn Classic - Margin 35.88
Skate Canada GP - Margin 26.1
NHK GP - Margin 16.18
Grand Prix Final - Margin 7.00
Canadian Nationals - 42.34
4CC - 18.03

The closest anyone has gotten to them is S/K at GP Final, and they still beat them by 7 points... and S/K are out for the World's.

While the final, most important competition of the year is a month away... and, yes, anything can happen... I don't see how you can look at these results and not see that they have been the dominant pair for the year. At least so far.

lefeury

Rinkside
I'm possibly a minority in that I never have cared for S/K. I admit it had to do with Ksenia and even though she is a great skater and worthy as an opponent something about her has always rubbed me the wrong way. Add in the European's "stare down" and now this news I imagine I will never be a fan. I would love for K/S to win the gold this year as I've always loved them. If D/R win I will be fine with it. Their programs have grown on me and they have upped the ante a great deal. I'm glad that S/K will not be there.

gmyers

Record Breaker
No it's not. Because what S/K did says a lot more about S/K than it does about D/R. There are plenty of other teams who have faced a similar situation, and they did not withdraw from Worlds.

(I'm not saying this to be mean to S/K. We don't know the whole story, and they're not obligated to go to Worlds. Just saying, you cannot measure how dominant a team is by how their opponents react to them... because said opponents won't react the same way even when the situation is the same/worse).

It's dominance because s/k have decided they can't compete at their present level until they can try to match d/r. D/r are setting the standards. Setting the pace. They are an extreme dominant team.