Stolbova/Klimov vs. Volosozhar/Trankov | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Stolbova/Klimov vs. Volosozhar/Trankov

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The Bollywood still needs more polish imo. I love their big elements, especially that gorgeous twist, but that not-so-mirrored step sequence was kinda bad and messy. Now I don't expect pairs skaters to have the level of complexity and details in footwork, but the step sequence's choreo is not crisp/intricate enough for me.

I feel Fedor needs a different FS costume. Whatever he ha now looks like something he threw on quickly to pick up some snacks at a nearby convenient store. :laugh:

That said, I still give V/T the edge. They have more of that "traditional Russian" pairs look that I don't see in S/K. Hopefully we can avoid the 1994 Olys FS senario, and have it all come down to which team execute their programs better.
Ah but didn't ARtur and Natalyia execute better but G and G had more passion and elegance? Or did you men to say that. I really hope S and K can skate but I am wondering about he injury.

lucyagogo

On the Ice
S/K program is amazing and I found their personalities better suited for this kind of programs that seem more contemporary, not the usual romantic/fluff/drama skating. They've made major improvement this season and are so innovative.

Is Fyodor a good match to Ksenia? Can he upgrade their lifts? It seems like she is better than him by a mile, how can he match her level?

Ksenia has a very catchy aura that makes all heads turn but I found Fedor to be a very elegant and technically strong skater as well. Ksenia has stated before that his personality is strong as hers but in a more reserved way, and also that his calm temper helps her to balance her own explosiveness. I believe they're good for each other.

On the other hand I've admired V/T for some years now and their performances always seem good for me, they have natural chemistry (imagine that's why they got married) but right now, my favorite programs are the ones of S/K. It'll be interesting to watch them in competition although I'm not expecting much as Fedor is injured (and their participation is still in doubt until last minute decision) so... let's hope for the best I'll support them both.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Ah can I ask who is Sophie? Is that the French ice dancer I think I heard about from years ago?

No, the phrase is from a famous film regarding WW2 in which Meryl Streep starred. A mother forcefully had to choose one of her two children to save one's life, while the other child had to be sent to a camp and eventually to die.

Last edited:

yqs100

On the Ice
If S and K want to be more competitive besides quads yes they can work on their lifts. if they max out there they can be more competitive. I do think Sui and Han are a bit generic. I find that with the Chinese pairs - the top teams in the last year look similar and their other good teams have that creepy old guy young gir look. I do think V and T need to improve - technically or do something really artistic that they can shine - they are a bit stagnant - beautiful but you have to grow as they are no G and G - that is a rarity. You must grow and develop if you are around for a while:)

well if you define Chinese pairs in that way, I would say the Russians are dirty guy + old women with some mental problem.:palmf:

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
My prediction is no gold for the second time since 1968 for Russia at 2018 OG but let's see.

I do prefer V/T as a pair but without technical improvement I don't see the bright future even they have the quality.
S/K -this LP is probably the best one they ever had, but when I watch them everything seems so mechanical, like two singles are skating on the same arena. Not that much as Canadians tho :drama: but still...

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I find that with the Chinese pairs - the top teams in the last year look similar and their other good teams have that creepy old guy young gir look.
I agree that there are some similarities in the Chinese teams style, but I see also differences. As for the "old guy young girl" look, there is just one team with that look, which is Peng/Zhang, of course. Both Yu and Jin are young and look like it, and so are the Wangs. Sui and Han are close in their age too.

lost3iron

More Rock & Roll please!
On the Ice
If S/K are healthy and can perform like they did in the gpf I believe it's theirs to win. I find their LP pretty amazing. But this year many pairs suffer from injuries so nothing is certain. At the beginning of this season I was sure that no one could catch up with Sui/Han.

ginsengtea

Rinkside
I agree that there are some similarities in the Chinese teams style, but I see also differences. As for the "old guy young girl" look, there is just one team with that look, which is Peng/Zhang, of course. Both Yu and Jin are young and look like it, and so are the Wangs. Sui and Han are close in their age too.
I would never think that Sui/Han skate like Peng/Zhang, but I get it since this year their Lori programs are pretty much the same thematically (Latin SP, French opera FS). The Wangs actually have a ten year age difference, but he looks younger than his age so it's really not noticeable when they're out there together.

Stolbova/Klimov have the tech and the rep, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised at all if they withdrew right before they're about to go on. It's been so long since they've competed. Are they still planning to go for the quad throw? V/T have so much quality as well and I wouldn't mind if they won either, but with S/H consistently doing the two quads I wonder if their PCS will be substantial enough to pull them ahead. Between now and then there's still a lot that can happen though. The amount of injuries this season is bumming me out.

Last edited:

Big Deal

Final Flight
I m slightly losing my real interest on V/T. When we have seen them to make a flawless program? Nevertheless they have "something" you have to pay attention on them whenever they perform. Nowdays they live out of this "magic".
Stolbova/Klimov is unique, unpredictable, but unfortunately also having some mistakes here and there as well. WHEN theey pull theemselves together it is difficult to beat them.
They will have a very bright close future, but in the longer run, pay attention on Tarasova/Morozov and Yu/Jin. They already have the technical side and every important talent to shine.
I also like Savchenko/Massot more than I expected.

Last edited by a moderator:

TatiMax

On the Ice
The day is getting closer I cant wait to see the two teams skating for the Gold. It will be the highlight of the competition. Tatiana and Maxim World record holders while Ksenia and Fyodor the season record holder. I cant really tell who will win.

This is the world record in free skate from Tatiana and Maxim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxxLXHL7rcA

This is their latest free routine, their level has dropped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YJj2ZKQ27E

If Ksenia and Fyodor skate the way they skated in GPF I think we will see for the first time Tatiana and Maxim losing to a Russian team, a team who happens to train with the same coach too! A team 2 years ago consisted of a little girl with a pony and a school boy cheering for Tatiana and Maxim to take gold, but things have changed and Ksenia no more the pony girl, she is challenging the royal team in their arena, she is not bowing to the royal team anymore ;). We need a good fluff here because this competition will be so exciting. :yes2: :dance2:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
The day is getting closer I cant wait to see the two teams skating for the Gold. It will be the highlight of the competition. Tatiana and Maxim World record holders while Ksenia and Fyodor the season record holder. I cant really tell who will win.

If Ksenia and Fyodor skate the way they skated in GPF I think we will see for the first time Tatiana and Maxim losing to a Russian team, a team who happens to train with the same coach too! A team 2 years ago consisted of a little girl with a pony and a school boy cheering for Tatiana and Maxim to take gold, but things have changed and Ksenia no more the pony girl, she is challenging the royal team in their arena, she is not bowing to the royal team anymore ;). We need a good fluff here because this competition will be so exciting. :yes2: :dance2:

While this two teams will be battling each other, Sui/Han will jump in with throw quad and take the title :party2:

TatiMax

On the Ice
While this two teams will be battling each other, Sui/Han will jump in with throw quad and take the title :party2:

Even if this happens, V/T and S/K competition against each others for the higher score is worth a historic fluff.

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty

The level has not dropped much. Plus the Dracula program is a much more difficult and substantive program. The choreographic content and transitions are infinitely higher.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I am still more of a V/T supporter, but S/K are great too. Say both skated perfectly, I would prefer V/T to win, but I'll be good with S/K surpassing them as well. I guess somehow I just tend to lean more towards V/T for totally subjective reasons. :laugh:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i watched both out of curiosity and I have to agree with both of you ;)

1) the level of ease dropped a lot IMHO. in 2013, they skated with so much comfort, it looks effortless. their skating is BIG there...

2) the dracula program does have creative choreographic content and is harder by a tad but the elements, especially the throws, aren't as big... the lifts aren't as smooth and easy looking compared to 2013.... and they looked like they were thinking hard for the SBS

The level has not dropped much. Plus the Dracula program is a much more difficult and substantive program. The choreographic content and transitions are infinitely higher.

sses1

On the Ice
Dracula is a much better program than JCS. Yes, the technical quality is suffering a bit this year but that's because theyre coming back from a big injury and they've struggled with injuries and illness through out the season. I have a feeling they've also planned their training so that they peak for worlds and perhaps that's why we haven't seen their best, yet.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I think while this is exciting two very good Russian teams the real faves are Sui/hAN. mind you all the teams have sufferend injury this season though I think at this point the most injured or affected by injury is S and K. I think it would be nice to see maybe Duhamel and Radford the real underdogs now it seems. i can see the judges really insulting the world champs and with it being in the us push S and k from the us ahead of the Canadians. When really S and k should be fighting with the now injured second Canadians Seguin and Bilodeau or the second tier Chinese and Russians. also looking at the amazing scores you would think the Germans are in the mix for a medal too.