struggling with blades for advanced skaters | Golden Skate

struggling with blades for advanced skaters

donttrusttherabbit

Spectator
A friendly hello to all :)

At the moment I am unsure about the choice of the next blades for my daughter.

Briefly about the current situation: Daughter, 10 years old, just under 30 kg, is currently running a Risport RF3Pro in 210 with a MK Professional Lite. She is already doing double axel and triple salchow in training. Working on more triples and difficult pirouettes with edge changes / level 4.

The fitter recommends Gold Seal (traditionell one) or Matrix Nova. The head coach is keen on Pattern 99 (traditionell one). For me I am not sure which one to choose / what's the difference about them and furthermore if the revolution style would fit better because she is used to the Lite. Any experiences or recommendations from your side about this?

Does anyone have experience with the Phoenix Gold and can report back? Would this blade be a real alternative for us?
Many thanks for any help and opinions. I feel more and more doubtful the more I think about it.

Many greeetings
donttrusttherabbit

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
A friendly hello to all :)

At the moment I am unsure about the choice of the next blades for my daughter.

Briefly about the current situation: Daughter, 10 years old, just under 30 kg, is currently running a Risport RF3Pro in 210 with a MK Professional Lite. She is already doing double axel and triple salchow in training. Working on more triples and difficult pirouettes with edge changes / level 4.

The fitter recommends Gold Seal (traditionell one) or Matrix Nova. The head coach is keen on Pattern 99 (traditionell one). For me I am not sure which one to choose / what's the difference about them and furthermore if the revolution style would fit better because she is used to the Lite. Any experiences or recommendations from your side about this?

Does anyone have experience with the Phoenix Gold and can report back? Would this blade be a real alternative for us?
Many thanks for any help and opinions. I feel more and more doubtful the more I think about it.

Many greeetings
donttrusttherabbit
Hello and welcome! You can trust this Rabbit btw. ;)

I would not do the Matrix Nova. Pattern 99 sits lower to the ice, has a bigger toepick compared to Gold Seal which has the higher stanchions. Do you have to stay with John Wilson blades or would MK be a possibility? I would tell you to consider MK Phantom. As far as Lites/Revolution blades, since she is doing higher level skills and is used to them I would say it would be ok to go with lite/rev or traditional.

donttrusttherabbit

Spectator
Hello ic3Rabbit,

please don't be angry with me: I realized afterwards that my nickname could be interpreted as an attack on you. But it isn't in any way: it's a bad pun on my surname, which a schoolmate made up at some point (and which I like to use for nick names). I much prefer when we bunnies stick together🐰

Back to topic. We have no preferences regarding manufacturers. I simply relied on the advice of those around me (I am no figure skater, I have no glue). But thanks to your advice, I'll forget about the Matrix very quickly. I suppose that makes life a little easier for us too. At least according to the catalog, the Matrix Nova doesn't seem to be available in such short lengths.

I hadn't considered the MK Phantom yet, but it seems to be an alternative (precisely because she is currently using the MK Professional Lite). I'm not sure how she would cope with the higher stanchions of the gold seal- she's never had any before. but that's probably how it is for all children who change :)

perhaps it will ultimately also depend on how quickly the runners are available in short lengths.
thank you very much for your help! we will of course be happy to receive further tips from you and other users

Many greetings
donttrusttherabbit

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'd second the recommendation for MK Phantoms. Lovely blades. I went to them from Coronation Ace and was very happy indeed.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
My skater seems to be at a similar level and has been in MK Phantom for years (switched to REV version 2 years ago). Absolutely loves them, but I don't see a lot of other skaters in this blade. I think it has a more curved rocker (7ft) so my skater likes it for that reason (although others do not like this). Unfortunately, you cannot "test drive" blades the way you can test drive a car. Might be worth also discussing with fitter and coach so that you can understand the differences between all of the options.

donttrusttherabbit

Spectator
Thanks a lot 🫶. Of course I intend to talk to fitter and trainer. But for me it was important to get a little bit of experience around. Seems to me as blade recommendations are a "local thing".

And for me: I really have no glue - I am no figure skater and I had nothing to due with business until my child started to skate :)