Successful International Competitors From The Southeastern United States | Golden Skate

Successful International Competitors From The Southeastern United States

MsJanaMajerova

Spectator
Hi, has there ever been a successful competitor, at the international level, who was born, raised, and trained in the southeastern United States (excluding Texas or Virginia)?

Isadora Williams was born in the Atlanta area, but was raised/trained in Washington DC. Other than her, I haven’t come across anyone. I know this region is not a skating hub, but I’m just curious.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do not believe you will find anyone at an international level who has trained in the Southern US (also excluding Florida) because other than Scott Hamilton’s facility in Nashville, the training centers are/were Dallas. NoVa is in no way the South, so I am not including that. :)

Timothy Dolensky was born in Alabama and trained in the Atlanta area, where his family lived, for some time, but eventually “outgrew” his coaching and needed to move to Texas.

The Peals train In Nashville, but they were born and raised in Chicagoland.

MsJanaMajerova

Spectator
Thank you! I figured this was the case. Seems that very few are born in this region (obviously not much access to ice time and coaching) and those with talent relocate. Didn’t realize Dolensky was born in Alabama, interesting!

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
I am not sure what means by Se USA, but
What about Nicole Bobek she was from Florida.
If mention Nashville TN what about the skaters from Maryland

Kimmie Meissner and think dance teams . I think Punslon and Swallow .
I think there were juniors back in the 1990s but I don't know under IJS

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am not sure what means by Se USA, but
What about Nicole Bobek she was from Florida.
If mention Nashville TN what about the skaters from Maryland

Kimmie Meissner and think dance teams . I think Punslon and Swallow .
I think there were juniors back in the 1990s but I don't know under IJS
Kimmie Meissner is from Maryland which isn't SE USA, and Nicole Bobek is from Chicago.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The OP specifically excluded Virginia and Texas. I am taking her query to read "cultural Southeast" and not "geographical Southeast". But that is me speaking for her, which is always dangerous. :)

I took that to mean NoVa was excluded, and that any skaters from Appalachian Virginia could be included. I then took it upon myself to exclude NoVa and Florida in my reply.

Although the Florida panhandle may still be culturally part of the Southeast, Coral Springs is not. ;) Maryland is south of the Mason Dixon line (having driven past that sign more times than I care to count), but part of the mid-Atlantic today.

I think:biggrin:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I think Punslon and Swallow
Elizabeth Punsalan was born in Syracuse, New York, but I believe she grew up in Cleveland or Detroit area. Jerod Swallow was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan. An interesting side note: Jerod competed in both pairs (with Shelley Propson) and in ice dance (with Jodie Balogh) at the 1985 World Junior Championships, placing 4th in both disciplines. 😍 He ultimately focused solely on ice dance, partnering with Elizabeth in 1989. They married in 1993.

P/S were a very good ice dance team, often underscored, especially toward the end of their career. Igor Shpilband began working with P/S in 1992, leading them to great form and excellence. They still never received their due competitively until they skated in pro competitions. Jerod is currently managing director at the Detroit Skating Club.

Last edited: