TMC's report on Finlandia Trophy 2014 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

TMC's report on Finlandia Trophy 2014

Alex D

Record Breaker
Great report ;)

Henna Lindholm & Ossi Kanervo are the current Finnish national champions, so the pressure was on for them. Unfortunately they let the pressure get the better of them and looked nervous and tentative throughout their short dance. Both seemed very hesitant, Henna was a lot slower than Ossi, and they were both struggling to keep their edges. For a moment I thought that they were just out of practice because Ossi is going through the compulsory national service at the moment and because of that they do not have as much time to practice, but then I remembered that all three men of the Finnish ice dancing teams are doing their service at the same time. It may be that Ossi needs the regular practice more than the other two in order to feel confident in competition, or they just happened to have a bad day. Their successful free dance the next day would suggest the latter.

They tend to get better and better as a season progresses, I sadly didn't had the chance yet to see them this season but hope to be able to during Bavarian :( How is their FD compared to the one last season? Is it as emotional?

I can't remember who said that Fleur Maxwell was lowballed in PCS? Whoever it was, I totally agree with you. I really, really - really - enjoyed her skating. I don't understand how so many of her scores remain below 6? She has a maturity to her style that some of the young 'uns that are getting close to sevens or even over don't yet possess. I liked both her and Artemieva, but to me it looked like Fleur was steadier on her skates and speedier when going into jumps. She used her arms expressively, but unlike some of the others, the movements she made within the choreo flowed into each other quite seamlessly. So how Fleur gets 5.75s and Maria gets 7s I don't get, but then I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

She is indeed gorgeous.

Unfortunately does she suffer under wrong marking by the judges since years, she doesn't do the big jumps and many judges rate her down in PCs because of that. :( Its so silly as she has so much more than others, grace and maturity but she isn't rewarded for that sadly.

I have a soft spot for Jenni Saarinen because I used to have the same surname. Oh and also because her skating skills are gorgeous and she does a cracking 2A. So good in fact that I believe she could very well get a 3A. And when she does and becomes super famous, I'll have to find out if we're really related so that I can start name dropping :D I do like her program and packaging. If the ethereal princess look is your thing, this is a pretty good representative of that genre. Jenni is not only light on her skates; she has beautiful, lyrical arm movements from her shoulders to her fingertips. I liked how she lived in the moment and left those falls behind her as though nothing out of the ordinary had happened. Out of the current crop of Finnladies I think she has the most potential to make something great happen.

Jenni is great, I love her style as well!

Its great to see that someone else has a soft spot for her (I tend to have many for the ladies :laugh:)

I believe she could be someone for the future if jus the finish federation lets her grow slowly and doesn't put too much pressure onto her shoulders like with Juulia.

A very enjoyable read ;)

TMC

Record Breaker
Thanks for your inspired report. It was me (or maybe someone else did it too) who pointed out the Fleur Maxwell PCS mystery. I didn't see her LP live but I'm glad she landed so many jumps.

Happy you liked it!

TMC - I've just read some more of what you wrote (I cannot read all at once, as it is very taxing on my eyes - but, I promise you, I will be going back again and again - I'm just saving up some treats in store, and looking forward to it), and I wanted to say that I loved what you said about Liza - and loved, loved, loved what you said about Petrov! So many of the feelings that I could not have put into words - you did! Thank you! You're the best! :love:

No problem, I'm just glad so many people have enjoyed my ramblings :D

Great report ;)

They tend to get better and better as a season progresses, I sadly didn't had the chance yet to see them this season but hope to be able to during Bavarian :( How is their FD compared to the one last season? Is it as emotional?

A very enjoyable read ;)

Thank you Alex - I love your reports, they're an inspiration to me!

Henna & Ossi's free is not as emotional this season. It doesn't have the "dark" part in the middle that made their FD last season so special to me at least. This dance is very light and happy :)

Thank you for the update. I very much did enjoy the rest of the report. :)

You're welcome, hope you enjoy what I've just added as well!

Are you going to write about the FDS please ? TMC :)

Here you are! :)

I have to go and heat my house now - would you believe it's 2014 and our house in freaking Finland is wood-heated, meaning that at least once a week in winter I spend a day tending a fire in the basement boiler room... Between trips to the basement to add fuel to the fire, I have a half an hour or so to watch fs or write reports ;-) So I'll be finishing my report on the Men's Free today!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thanks do much for covering the FD.

I am surprised the swan farts in Z&G's program were actually made by a musical instrument!

Sofia

Lil sweetheart has big ideas
On the Ice
Thank you, TMC! Your report is very enjoyable. It fuels the desire to watch a competition LIVE!:)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Thank you for taking the time out from your latest military campaign ;) to update this! Very enjoyable reading!

TMC

Record Breaker
Thanks do much for covering the FD.

I am surprised the swan farts in Z&G's program were actually made by a musical instrument!

I was too! And kind of disappointed, too :laugh:

It certainly sounded familiar, like I was sure I had played something like that in primary school music ed. I did a little research and I'm pretty sure the instrument in question is the güiro, but I'm sure there are people here with better musical education than me (*nudging AnnaTheMusician*) who may be able to confirm?

Thank you, TMC! Your report is very enjoyable. It fuels the desire to watch a competition LIVE!:)

Thank you! It's just so amazing live!

Great lunchtime reading over here. Thanks TMC!

You're welcome, I'm happy you liked it!