Ted Barton and Mark Hanretty: A Coach's Life | Golden Skate

Ted Barton and Mark Hanretty: A Coach's Life

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thinking about becoming a figure skating coach?

Join us as Ted Barton and Mark Hanretty discuss the challenges and rewards of being a figure skating coach. Hear their personal experiences and thoughts on teaching "tots" to "high-level" skaters, as well as planning for the future and finding balance in life. They also shed light on issues of pressure, coach-to-student connection, and more!

Being a Figure skating coach is a complex and multifaceted role that goes beyond technical expertise. It requires a combination of teaching skills, interpersonal abilities, and a genuine passion for helping skaters achieve their potential. The demands can vary based on the level of skaters they work with, their coaching style, and the specific goals of their students.

Have you coached? Share your experiences!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another fascinating interview. I am not a skater and I am not a coach, but I still learned so much. I think even "just fans" can appreciate this interview.

Ted asks such thoughtful questions, and Mark was so honest about his own approaches and his desire to maintain a healthy balance and not wake up in middle age going "where is my life" because he spent all his time on coaching.

And that he was asked by a student to be, essentially, less nice, but that he is at a stage now where he is confident with who he is and his coaching style.(y)

Looking forward to the next episode.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Lively discussion and great q & a’s
The segment about age of students was interesting.. Mark said he started coaching little skaters.. I think he called them Snow Tots😁 and enjoyed this a lot; later moving to teenagers was challenging and elite skaters even more. Ted said he enjoyed coaching young teens and his wife was superlative coaching the small children.. interesting! They also talked about coaches’ mindfulness regarding the best teaching for a particular student.. stepping back and suggesting another coaching situation if needed which reminded me of Jason Brown and his coach Kori Ade who trained him from a youngster then stepped back so Jason could pursue other options with Brian Orser.. all in all
enlightening laced with good humor..
Thumbs up!🥰

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
That cracked me up! I had never heard that phrase before! It's fun listening to his vocabulary!

I wish I could get him to say a few lines from Jamie on Outlander.... like maybe call Ted "Sassenach" which is Gaelic for "foreigner" :)
I am sure Ted would have a good comeback 🤗