(The Ever-Changing) Entry List Worlds 2014 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

(The Ever-Changing) Entry List Worlds 2014

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
I thought there were quite quite few OWG medallist competing at this worlds, but looking back it seems rather average for the recent years. Back in 1998 only 4 medals opted to compete at Worlds.

2014: Hanyu, Kostner, Stolbova/Klimov, Savchenko/Szolkowy, Ilinykh/Katsalapov = 6 (1 gold, 1 silver, 3 bronze)
2010: Takahashi, Kim, Asada, Pang/Tong, Savchenko/Szolkowy, Virtue/Moir, Davis/White = 7 (2 gold, 3 silver, 2 bronze)
2006: Lambiel, Buttle, Cohen, Zhang/Zhang, Belbin/Agosto = 5 (0 gold, 4 silver, 1 bronze)
2002: Yagudin, Goebel, Slutskaya, Kwan, Shen/Zhao, Lobacheva/Averbukh = 6 (1 gold, 2 silver, 3 bronze)
1998: Kwan, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze, Krylova/Ovsyannikov, Anissina/Peizerat = 4 (0 gold, 3 silver, 1 bronze)

2010 was quite an unusual year with 2 gold medallist opting to compete

alexeifan

On the Ice
You can add Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat who medaled in 1998 with the bronze and then went on to get the silver at 1998 worlds.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Hubbell had surgery just a few days ago. Has been posting cheerful tweets and Instagrams about her rehab.

From the USFS press release almost two weeks ago re Worlds assignments:
Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue, who are the 2014 Four Continents champions, were the first alternates for the World Team. They will not compete due to a torn labrum in Hubbell’s left hip. She is expected to have it surgically repaired this week.
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=49941&type=media (Mar 3)​

This will be the 2nd Worlds in a row that H&D miss. This year they are missing it because of injury, and last year they missed out on making the World Team. I'm sure they'll want to get back to work later this Spring as soon as Madison is healed so they don't lose ground.

The positive for Aldridge & Eaton is that this is giving them a chance to get international exposure faster than expected. This year they had a good 4 Continents result and were on the podium with H&D and G&P, and now they'll be able to follow that up by going to their first Worlds.

rosacotton

Final Flight
Patrick Chan (replaced by Nam Nguyen)

Wow, Nam won Junior Worlds and will also take part in Senior Worlds. Has that always been allowed, to be able to compete in both Worlds if the skater is old/young enough?

RUKen

Rinkside
Wow, Nam won Junior Worlds and will also take part in Senior Worlds. Has that always been allowed, to be able to compete in both Worlds if the skater is old/young enough?

It has been common for young skaters from federations with few elite skaters to attend both Junior Worlds and "Senior" Worlds. It is unusual for a large federation (such as Canada, Russia, USA, Japan) to send the same skater to both.

Nirti

Medalist
Alena Leonova entered the World championship just after winning the Junior world title, in 2009. Andrei Griazev was the last guy to do it, in 2004.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
It has been common for young skaters from federations with few elite skaters to attend both Junior Worlds and "Senior" Worlds. It is unusual for a large federation (such as Canada, Russia, USA, Japan) to send the same skater to both.

I think Canada is doing it because they don't have that many strong alternatives to replace Chan right now, and Nam is one of the best options they have. Liam Firus doesn't have the minimum ISU score required and had a bad Olympics, and I don't think Jeremy Ten has the minimum ISU TES score, either. So after Kevin Reynolds and Elladj Balde, the options in Senior Men begin to get thin, other than perhaps Andrei Rogozine, and I'm not too sure about his scores.

emdee

Final Flight
I think Canada is doing it because they don't have that many strong alternatives to replace Chan right now, and Nam is one of the best options they have. Liam Firus doesn't have the minimum ISU score required and had a bad Olympics, and I don't think Jeremy Ten has the minimum ISU TES score, either. So after Kevin Reynolds and Elladj Balde, the options in Senior Men begin to get thin, other than perhaps Andrei Rogozine, and I'm not too sure about his scores.

Its a great opportunity for Nam to 'enjoy' his first worlds without too much pressure.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

No, Jeremy Ten doesn't, as per his Twitter a few weeks ago. :no:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Rogozine achieved the TES minimums last season and this season, but he doesn't perform well at Nationals. He was 7th this year, behind Nguyen and Ten and just ahead of Sadovsky.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
No, Jeremy Ten doesn't, as per his Twitter a few weeks ago. :no:

I think after 4 Continents there was a Tweet by Jeremy Ten in which he said he just missed out on the TES minimum for Worlds and that he was considering it might be a sign for him to retire. Don't think he's decided anything for sure yet, though.

marcolee925

Rinkside
Does anyone know why Spain isn't sending another man along with Fernandez?

Frankly I am surprised Abbott hasn't called it a career already. He bombed both short programs in Sochi and somehow salvaged a bronze medal (on the strength of others) and ended the competition with a rather dignified free skate. It would have been a perfect way to end. Perhaps he is still chasing that elusive world medal but I don't think it's very likely. I am so sad that this means Brown has to sit it out. Per country rules sucks.

Yes, only three Ladies (Yuna KIM, So Youn PARK, Hae Jin KIM) who are age eligible and have technical minimum for Worlds.

It's a shame, because if Yuna Kim is really retiring, Korea is not going to have 3 spots (or even 2) in quite some time. Hate to see that 3rd post go to waste. (and another reason why I think per country rules is ridiculous)

TMC

Record Breaker
Does anyone know why Spain isn't sending another man along with Fernandez?

Frankly I am surprised Abbott hasn't called it a career already. He bombed both short programs in Sochi and somehow salvaged a bronze medal (on the strength of others) and ended the competition with a rather dignified free skate. It would have been a perfect way to end. Perhaps he is still chasing that elusive world medal but I don't think it's very likely. I am so sad that this means Brown has to sit it out. Per country rules sucks.

It's a shame, because if Yuna Kim is really retiring, Korea is not going to have 3 spots (or even 2) in quite some time. Hate to see that 3rd post go to waste. (and another reason why I think per country rules is ridiculous)

I'm inclined to agree, but what other ways could there be for determining spots? I'd be interested to hearing suggestions :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Spain isn't sending another man because Javier Raya couldn't make the TES minimums.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Good for Zhang/Bartholomay, though their base value is low and they have to rely heavily on two clean programs to climb up the ranking.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Darn that is bad news. Wishing Caydee a speedy recovery.

How exciting for Z/B to experience their first Sr. Worlds in Japan.