The latest on Gracie Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wow, again I am amazed at the crap that people say about such a beautiful, talented skater who has never been anything but full of class towards others. Totally disgusted with so called skating fans, I guess what you approve of is a robot that can skate to one end of the rink and do a jump, then repeat. Oh, and put your arms in the air.

:sarcasm:

Complains posters are being crass towards Gracie.

In response is crass to Evgenia.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Oh, please. Other than a few posters, here people are full of empathy for her struggles. They also feel she needs to DO something about them. Saying that someone needs to get off social media and stop worrying about others' perceptions; needs a coach / environment change and/or needs to shake up her programme lay outs is not hatred or nastiness. It is tough love. There thereing over someone doing the same thing seemingly over and over again is not kind. It is cruel. Empathy can be practical, not sentimental.

pjskater

Rinkside
I guess you all are the experts then, sorry to put out some support of someone. Time for this to stop, sorry I ever posted anything, just human 😢😢

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Hmmm... and what's wrong if Gracie does not fight for her jumps and popping them? For me it seems safer, because when you fight - you easily can end with fall and/or injury and when you're popping - you just exit without fall and injury risk...

Отправлено с моего Lenovo A2010-a через Tapatalk

1) Popping a jump is very costly.

2) That's also a test of character: at least you tried the jump and it didn't worked; you can't pretend to have the best position in the air, the best landing every single time.

3) Sometimes if you fight for those jumps, you'll save them.

I'm not against popping a jump, especially in the free skate, but singles the axel in the short program, after you already made other mistakes, it's untenable at this level.

Last edited:

centerpt1

On the Ice
When all is said and done, I bet we look back and find out there is something physical going on with Gracie. She's either skating through pain, injury, boot issues, illness or something more than just "not wanting it".

Maybe she's not forthright due to commercial/endorsement issues.

I still think she needs to get away from California and go to someone used to dealing with physical issues.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
FWIW, some key quotes from Gracie in this IN article on the competition.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/12/09/210803784/errors-haunt-gold-once-again-at-golden-spin
Gold said she had skated a clean run-through of both her short program and free skate back home Monday before leaving for Croatia. But after she arrived in Zagreb, she said she experienced an upper-back pain that she hadn't dealt with before, a discomfort that required attention from physical therapists and doctors.
She was able to skate "pain free," she said, but her practice time on the ice was severely inhibited because of the upper-back issue.
"Things went a little haywire here," she said. "Having 12 acupuncture needles in my back didn't really help (the overall result)."

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
That she can attribute her Zagreb result to health issues is probably somewhat encouraging. If there is a silver lining in her struggles, it is that there is almost no external pressure on her to deliver results at this point. With Polina out, I think it would be unlikely that she doesn't capture a medal.

Amei

Record Breaker
Hmmm... and what's wrong if Gracie does not fight for her jumps and popping them? For me it seems safer, because when you fight - you easily can end with fall and/or injury and when you're popping - you just exit without fall and injury risk...

Someone that's a points master correct me if I'm wrong on this but rotating and falling on a jump is better for you points-wise vs. popping a jump and turning a triple to a double or double to a single.

To me it seems Gracie needs to change something whether it be her mindset, training style, skating style, or coach. She's clearly struggling, she needs to take a page from Lipnitskaia's book, Lipnitskaia needed a change and she made it as a result she's skating infinitely better and looks like she's enjoying what she's doing vs. going out and doing a job.

Selene

On the Ice
She chose the wrong coach. She hasn't improved at all under Carroll. He has no idea what do do with her. The fact that he's keeping her worst jump, the flip, in her short program illustrates the poor direction she's getting from him.

Her last coach gave her a strong technical foundation. Her jumps were amazing when she debuted on the senior scene. But Carroll has ruined her jumps. They are smaller and less consistent and she now has poorer technique (especially on the flip, which he has made much worse.)

She has now regressed to the point where she is getting beaten by second and third tier skaters who she used to consistently beat. She is scoring less than 160 points for an entire competition. The evidence shows that she won't achieve anything in her current training environment. She needs to find a strong technical coach who can help her get her jumps back. And someone who can give her some emotional support. Carroll looks over it. In her last GP event, he didn't even greet her at the boards after her skate and said nothing to her in the Kiss and Cry.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I haven't given up on Gracie. Her being injured explains a few things. Gracie is still the USA's best hope. She has the talent to be a World Champion, but it has been a struggle. I don't know if changing coaches is the answer. I would rather she changed choreographers first. Or at least used a different choreographer for one of her two programs, like Satoko Miyahara. I just don't see Gracie as a Lori Nichol type skater. And Lori will probably save her best work for her returning muse, Carolina Kostner. But Gracie has to decide for herself. I think she will find a way back.

moriel

Record Breaker

Well, I see two issues.

1. Points. For example, popping in SP is a nono because doubles that are not axels count as 0 in SP: if you rotate your triple and fall from it, you will get something, if you pop, you will get nothing. In general, you get more points for falling from a fully rotated triple than for a popped jump:

For example, Anna Pogo (NHK 2015) fell from 3Lz+3T and 3Lo in her SP, and still got 8.20-1.0=7.2 and 3-1.0=2.0 for them.
In France this year, Gracie popped a 2F* in SP, getting 0. In FP, she jumped a 1Lz, getting 0.65 for it. In Zagreb free, she jumped a 2Lz, getting 2.43 for it and 1F getting 0.51 for it.

There may be some small advantage if you jump a double instead but it is small, and also there is a point #2.

2. When you pop a jump, you don't even try: when a skater goes for a triple, there is usually some chance to land it (see Radionova). A 2 footed landing or a hand down also are worth more than a popped jump.

PS: As for clean practice skates, Gracie has done 100500 of them. I call for a 3 triples short and a 7 triples long in competition or it doesn't count.

moriel

Record Breaker
Also, random thought: Gracie should change coaches and go to Eteri. Most of her ladies are real fighters and have few nerves issues so she must be doing something right in that regard ;)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Isn't this one third or fourth thread on Gracie's status? I like Gracie a lot but this is getting too much.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
She chose the wrong coach. She hasn't improved at all under Carroll. He has no idea what do do with her. The fact that he's keeping her worst jump, the flip, in her short program illustrates the poor direction she's getting from him.

Her last coach gave her a strong technical foundation. Her jumps were amazing when she debuted on the senior scene. But Carroll has ruined her jumps. They are smaller and less consistent and she now has poorer technique (especially on the flip, which he has made much worse.)

She has now regressed to the point where she is getting beaten by second and third tier skaters who she used to consistently beat. She is scoring less than 160 points for an entire competition. The evidence shows that she won't achieve anything in her current training environment. She needs to find a strong technical coach who can help her get her jumps back. And someone who can give her some emotional support. Carroll looks over it. In her last GP event, he didn't even greet her at the boards after her skate and said nothing to her in the Kiss and Cry.

Do you think that Gracie gets some signals that people want her to change coach? I am not sure whether she considers that at all. Or is she too much in her own bubble at this point? This is more like speculation but maybe there are some here who have some contact with her environment or even Gracie in person.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Also, random thought: Gracie should change coaches and go to Eteri. Most of her ladies are real fighters and have few nerves issues so she must be doing something right in that regard ;)

I think she needs a coach interested in competition rather than "ditching what he thinks it's not aesthetically pleasing": Eteri is fine but Orser or Rafael are good too.

She needs to restore the 3F-3T to have a plan b, so important in ladies figure skating nowadays.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

As if that could ever happen. :)

moriel

Record Breaker
As if that could ever happen. :)

Pity because could work maybe. A new coach, a new training enviroment where even the juniors can score more than Gracie, so she just cannot afford not doing her best, and so on.

Icey

Record Breaker
Didn't realize Carly was no longer competing. Did she move back to Illinois?

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

With Eteri based in Russia & coaching Evgenia - very unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.