The Season in Review - Up Until Now... | Golden Skate

The Season in Review - Up Until Now...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I know posters on her love to discuss skating and I thought this thread might be interesting and encapsulate a lot of different stuff. So here is my take as we are just over half way with the Grand Prix.

Generally, there is a huge push for technical advancements (TES) and so far though it is early the programs/music are not stellar and what makes them stellar is if they are clean but most of the music is meh is what I am getting - there are a few ubers might like certain programs but most have been well PC performed it well but no real outstanding programs - yet at least. And certainly not musically.

The Pairs well injuries, pregnancies, and newly formed teams has made a clear path for the chosen ones S and M looking pretty good for World and maybe olympic gold. Duhamel and Radford refuse to give up and Sui and Han are hopeful they can recover along with the two newly formed Chinese teams. The Americans well there is hope but no team really stands out but they do have some big tricks and could be spoilers to teams getting three teams next year - mainly China and Russia in trouble. Speaking of Russia well without their special teams who have magic or great tenacity V and T, S and K and K and S (at least the latter two are question marks) this leaves the door open to two or three unknown relative teams and Tarasova and Morosov who seem to be part of the very good Russian pedigree skaters but not special or outstanding - look how they got beaten in the FS by the French recently in France. The judges really like S and M and they have amazing tricks. D and R - I feel kind of sorry how they are picked on all the time but they are still two time world champs. S and B could be the spoilers but they too have looked vulnerable - and to be fair one of the Russian up and comers could surprise teams as well.

Dance well P and C look like the Crown is there. V and M are good but really seem to be battling it out with Chock and Bates and the Shibs where the real battle is - who is the top American team. Those four teams are fighting for the podium. Then you have the mess in Russia against the two Italians and the Americans and Canadians in a huge dog fight where Weaver and Poje and C and L look vulnerable to an ice down smack down ala the German team or Israeli teams which one bronze and then fell down the top ten list into oblivion. However, no team has show great innovation,style or charm that was or is extraoridnary - yet.

Men - arguably the two constants are Hanyu and Fernandez the only two really guaranteed a spot at the GP finals. The huge push for tech skills seems to suggest we will not see a lot of cleanskates. Skaters who have good to even great pcs seem to be scoring higher if they do well technically ie Umo, Chen, Fernandez. Umo and Chen and Boyang who struggled in his first competition seem to be winning the battle against Chan, Brown, Rippon and Ten though all four have had good results so far. the Russian men who seem to switch around like the seasons have not been overly impressive. Because of the push technically it seems to mean there are bound to be inconsistent skates and results so look for a rollercoaster other than probably Hanyu.

Ladies well the three world medallists look solid, getting consistent and confident. Bravo to Evgenia, Anna and Ashley. However, contenders and really perhaps the two top skaters who have not put it together recently are probably Gracie Gold and Mao Asada. Neither has skated well and both have been slipping down the ladder faster than there is another complaint or protestor at the front of Trump Tower. I can't bare to see both stylish, big jumpers struggle so horribly for whatever reason - injury with Mao - though it is probably more than that and mental games with Gracie. It is too painful.

The Japanese ladies have so many fine skaters that it may be good bye Mao come world's Miyahara, Marin, Higuchi, Nagai and the list goes on and on. The Russians seem to have three solid ladies in Med, Pogo and Rad and another potential consistent beautiful skater in Maria S with another one wiating int he wings next year Polina T and that doesn't count three real threats who are having problems Sot,Lip and Tut and then, sadly you have the new Fumi Suguri - Leonova who one can only hope at this point as she is not as old as Fumie at the end of Suguri's career that she pulls a Maria B - but then again Maria was hovering around the world podium for a while and it has been a long time for Leonova which is kind of sad.

USA is still looking good but they Ashley and one would think Gold but with Gold's issue who is next. Nagasu has not even managed with Polina E's injury to claim solidly no. 3. You have Courtney and Bell and we still haven't see Chen. i think it is important to see what happens in each of these skaters next GP because it is hard to know if Hicks and Bell were flukes or what

The surprise is probably the Canadians and it doesn't look like at least Daleman and Osmond are flukes . These two have stepped it up and Chartrand looks to be out of it if she doesn't pull a rabbit out of the hat. Even if Chartrand beats these two ladies Canada would be wise to send Gabby and Kaetlyn because they both have something - a bit surprising but if they got consistent I think judges could put them ahead of gulp Wagner.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I know posters on her love to discuss skating and I thought this thread might be interesting and encapsulate a lot of different stuff. So here is my take as we are just over half way with the Grand Prix.

Generally, there is a huge push for technical advancements (TES) and so far though it is early the programs/music are not stellar and what makes them stellar is if they are clean but most of the music is meh is what I am getting - there are a few ubers might like certain programs but most have been well PC performed it well but no real outstanding programs - yet at least. And certainly not musically.

The Pairs well injuries, pregnancies, and newly formed teams has made a clear path for the chosen ones S and M looking pretty good for World and maybe olympic gold. Duhamel and Radford refuse to give up and Sui and Han are hopeful they can recover along with the two newly formed Chinese teams. The Americans well there is hope but no team really stands out but they do have some big tricks and could be spoilers to teams getting three teams next year - mainly China and Russia in trouble. Speaking of Russia well without their special teams who have magic or great tenacity V and T, S and K and K and S (at least the latter two are question marks) this leaves the door open to two or three unknown relative teams and Tarasova and Morosov who seem to be part of the very good Russian pedigree skaters but not special or outstanding - look how they got beaten in the FS by the French recently in France. The judges really like S and M and they have amazing tricks. D and R - I feel kind of sorry how they are picked on all the time but they are still two time world champs. S and B could be the spoilers but they too have looked vulnerable - and to be fair one of the Russian up and comers could surprise teams as well.

Dance well P and C look like the Crown is there. V and M are good but really seem to be battling it out with Chock and Bates and the Shibs where the real battle is - who is the top American team. Those four teams are fighting for the podium. Then you have the mess in Russia against the two Italians and the Americans and Canadians in a huge dog fight where Weaver and Poje and C and L look vulnerable to an ice down smack down ala the German team or Israeli teams which one bronze and then fell down the top ten list into oblivion. However, no team has show great innovation,style or charm that was or is extraoridnary - yet.

Men - arguably the two constants are Hanyu and Fernandez the only two really guaranteed a spot at the GP finals. The huge push for tech skills seems to suggest we will not see a lot of cleanskates. Skaters who have good to even great pcs seem to be scoring higher if they do well technically ie Umo, Chen, Fernandez. Umo and Chen and Boyang who struggled in his first competition seem to be winning the battle against Chan, Brown, Rippon and Ten though all four have had good results so far. the Russian men who seem to switch around like the seasons have not been overly impressive. Because of the push technically it seems to mean there are bound to be inconsistent skates and results so look for a rollercoaster other than probably Hanyu.

Ladies well the three world medallists look solid, getting consistent and confident. Bravo to Evgenia, Anna and Ashley. However, contenders and really perhaps the two top skaters who have not put it together recently are probably Gracie Gold and Mao Asada. Neither has skated well and both have been slipping down the ladder faster than there is another complaint or protestor at the front of Trump Tower. I can't bare to see both stylish, big jumpers struggle so horribly for whatever reason - injury with Mao - though it is probably more than that and mental games with Gracie. It is too painful.

The Japanese ladies have so many fine skaters that it may be good bye Mao come world's Miyahara, Marin, Higuchi, Nagai and the list goes on and on. The Russians seem to have three solid ladies in Med, Pogo and Rad and another potential consistent beautiful skater in Maria S with another one wiating int he wings next year Polina T and that doesn't count three real threats who are having problems Sot,Lip and Tut and then, sadly you have the new Fumi Suguri - Leonova who one can only hope at this point as she is not as old as Fumie at the end of Suguri's career that she pulls a Maria B - but then again Maria was hovering around the world podium for a while and it has been a long time for Leonova which is kind of sad.

USA is still looking good but they Ashley and one would think Gold but with Gold's issue who is next. Nagasu has not even managed with Polina E's injury to claim solidly no. 3. You have Courtney and Bell and we still haven't see Chen. i think it is important to see what happens in each of these skaters next GP because it is hard to know if Hicks and Bell were flukes or what

The surprise is probably the Canadians and it doesn't look like at least Daleman and Osmond are flukes . These two have stepped it up and Chartrand looks to be out of it if she doesn't pull a rabbit out of the hat. Even if Chartrand beats these two ladies Canada would be wise to send Gabby and Kaetlyn because they both have something - a bit surprising but if they got consistent I think judges could put them ahead of gulp Wagner.

Shoma and Javi have both qualified to the GPF; as of now, Hanyu has not, though I'm sure he probably will. I'm not sure how you conclude that Boyang, Nathan and Shoma are beating D10, Patrick, Jason and Adam. Shoma beat Jason and Adam, but he has good presentation skills as well as tech. Jason and Adam both beat Boyang at SA and Adam and Denis just beat Nathan in France. Things may change at COC and NHK.

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
None of the skaters seem to be motivated to want to do better. Pogorilaya is the only one from whom I've seen large improvements from, everyone else is either tired, injured, depressed, or just not in it anymore.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Umo and Chen and Boyang who struggled in his first competition seem to be winning the battle against Chan, Brown, Rippon and Ten though all four have had good results so far.

Um, you know Rippon beat Chen at TdF, right? Beat him fair and square. Ten also bean Chen.

*perplexed expression*

By the way, it's UNO.

qwerty

On the Ice
None of the skaters seem to be motivated to want to do better. Pogorilaya is the only one from whom I've seen large improvements from, everyone else is either tired, injured, depressed, or just not in it anymore.

Heavily disagree.

I see improvements and inspired skating from... Adam Rippon, Jason Brown, Nathan Chen, Mariah Bell, Denis Ten, Shoma Uno, Duhamel/Radford, Savchenko/Massot, Kaetlyn Osmond, Bobrova/Soloviev, Hubbell/Donahue, Virtue/Moir, Papadakis/Cizeron.

Not an exhaustive list at all, just some that are fresh and came to mind.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

This is total balderdash.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Heavily disagree.

I see improvements and inspired skating from... Adam Rippon, Jason Brown, Nathan Chen, Mariah Bell, Denis Ten, Shoma Uno, Duhamel/Radford, Savchenko/Massot, Kaetlyn Osmond, Bobrova/Soloviev, Hubbell/Donahue, Virtue/Moir, Papadakis/Cizeron.

Not an exhaustive list at all, just some that are fresh and came to mind.

Add Gaby Daleman to Mariah Bell to the much-improved/inspired list.

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty
S)

Skaters who have good to even great pcs seem to be scoring higher if they do well technically ie Umo, Chen, Fernandez. Umo and Chen and Boyang who struggled in his first competition seem to be winning the battle against Chan, Brown, Rippon and Ten though all four have had good results so far. the Russian men who seem to s

Who's that skater "Umo"? Ò,o

TGee

Record Breaker
Unpredictable

Predictably unpredictable perhaps.

Shouldn't we expect skaters, coaches and federations to be focused this year before the Olympic season on whatever they feel they need to do with their strategy and goals....

For some it's using the tech and taking the risks of that now, for others it's deriving for consistency and higher GOE, yet others want to show they are contenders, and others refine the steel of competive psychology.

And so results are all over the place.

What we have NOT seen for the most part are big risk artistically innovative and challenging programs, with a couple of exceptions (Chock and Bates FD, Kostner's newly unveiled FS). Which is rather too bad, as it suggests most folks are already going for a low risk approach on that...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Um, you know Rippon beat Chen at TdF, right? Beat him fair and square. Ten also bean Chen.

*perplexed expression*

By the way, it's UNO.
Sorry I meant well the judges seem to be rewarding the tech skaters more so if they are on and itis more important to get the quads than anything else.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The Americans look to be maybe favoured for team OGM right now well maybe an overrstatement but realistically they could have a representative or more in every event and I don't think anyone else is in that position unless Canada's Osmond flukes out. and that ain't likely.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well i have news for you...

easier quad or not... it's just a couple points less than a harder quad...so what matters is that he lands it... in practice he does and it's a nice one.... when he lands them, they will be as nice as his toes and will have + GOEs... and that will just mean that he can get even with iffy quad flips we sometimes see around...

other news : rippon and ten just beat Nathan with ONE quad... so those quads need 1) to be landed 2) to be nice 3) to let room for a program...

and final news : right now, USA should be fearing Canada if we think about the Olympic team event...
Kaetlyn has a higher score than Ashley so far this year if I am not mistaken... (go for it : homecooking... but that would work for both of them) and Daleman is quite competitive as well... where is Gracie? Mirai? Poilina? assuming USA and Canada are using 2 ladies...

Pairs... well Americans would be far behind Canadians

Dance... that one is tight... shibs or voir???

Men : Patrick Chan, even with flawed programs was ahead of Rippon at home worlds last year... so I am not too worried...

In rankings right now, Canada would probably edge out USA... especially since if there can be some toss up in ice dance pairs would go WAY down for USA with chinese, germans, russians, even italians could get in between...

this is all speculation and it is way too soon to mention the team event in my opinion... but i thought i'd take some time to address your comment which i find to be far from reality...

Ah he hasn't even landed it yet and it is a "easier" quad compared to the flip or lutz. How can he compete with boyang, hanyu, nathan...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Ah he hasn't even landed it yet and it is a "easier" quad compared to the flip or lutz. How can he compete with boyang, hanyu, nathan...

How can Chan compete with Boyang, Hanyu, and Nathan? First they have to earn the privilege of competing against him. Boyang and Nathan likely will not even make it to GPF which Chan is almost assured to qualify, being the only Man who has a chance of matching Fernandez' 30 points. Hanyu and Chan will meet up at major events but so far Chan beat Hanyu at SC.

As well, Chan is a sure bet to be competing at Worlds while it's still an uncertainty for Nathan. Boyang is really off this season though he will likely represent China at Worlds. These youngsters with their quad filled programs need to land them when it counts.

I think you are basing your judgements solely on BV on paper rather than performances on slippery or watery ice.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Shoma and Javi have both qualified to the GPF; as of now, Hanyu has not, though I'm sure he probably will. I'm not sure how you conclude that Boyang, Nathan and Shoma are beating D10, Patrick, Jason and Adam. Shoma beat Jason and Adam, but he has good presentation skills as well as tech. Jason and Adam both beat Boyang at SA and Adam and Denis just beat Nathan in France. Things may change at COC and NHK.

And Denis just beat Rippon in France, too. Rippon has two bronze medals and is rather unlikely to qualify for GPF? Sad, that Denis Ten has only one GP-event...

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I haven't read the entire thread but wanted to add 2 cents.

There are skaters being set up for Olympic gold medals. They are getting PCS and GOEs that are top level, regardless of what they put on the ice. It's become more apparent as the GP season has progressed, though if you saw Euros and Worlds last year you would have known too. So far the list is as follows:

Ice dance - Papadakis/Cizeron
Pairs - Savchenko/Massot
Ladies - Evgenia Medvedeva

Men there is no clear favourite for gold because the nature of the elements and how common falls are. But know that if next season Shoma Uno and Nathan Chen show up doing all their quads and triple Axels and go clean their PCS will skyrocket. For now, Hanyu and Fernandez will continue to be the top contenders, with Shoma close behind.

For the record I have no horses in this race. The judges have already made it clear any horses I would have bet on are to be put down.

Last edited: