What Figure Skater Should Taylor Swift Date? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What Figure Skater Should Taylor Swift Date?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
First of all - the film El was referring to was about his brother - Jason Kelce.

Oops. Sorry about that. :slink:

That's the second time in recent weeks that I thought that a set of siblings were the same person :palmf:

I would be curious to know how many American football players are actually well-known outside of this country. I believe - especially at this point in time - Ireland is the top seed in the Rugby World Cup, but I couldn't possibly name one single player on that roster. But I can name Niall Horan, Michael Flatley, Sinead O'Connor and other celebrities who hailed from Ireland. I honestly don't think you can compare sports to concert performers as it's more country-centric. I know that anybody who follows pro football in the US definitely knows who Travis Kelce is but many of them (as evidenced by posts on social media) couldn't name one song that Taylor sings. Travis is also in quite a plethora or commercials and has many sponsors. I'm including State Farm and Nike among others. His celebrity star is quite bright - especially after winning his second Super Bowl. I do think that anyone who presumes these two are together for publicity is living just uninformed.

To be fair, I couldn't name any player in the Irish rugby team either. Or any rugby player, for that matter. Because I don't follow the sport. And the same with cricket. In fact, I'm notorious for frequently getting cricketers and rugby players mixed up. I might have a vague recognition of the name (usually because of who they are married to, or because they have appeared on a TV show I watch), but I couldn't tell you which sport they do!

And that is the point I am making. Unless you are talking about somebody like Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal or the Williams sisters, sportspeople are usually only known to people who actively follow their sport.

As for Taylor Swift, I am amazed that there are people who couldn't name any of her songs. That said, I can only name two ("Love Story" and "Shake It Off"). But, they were both big hits that were never off the radio at the time.

You know, although it can raise their profile amongst people who do not follow their sport, I don't like it when sportspeople start behaving like they are celebrities rather than sportspeople. I liked Lewis Hamilton when he first came into Formula 1. Here was a guy who was born the same year as me, and who came from a very humble background, but who made it to the top because of his sheer talent. But then he started dating Nicole Scherzinger, and started thinking of himself as a celebrity. It went to his head. And that put me off him.

I strongly believe that while sportspeople are still actively competing, they should concentrate on their sport and not be letting themselves get drawn in by the bright lights of the celebrity lifestyle. Sporting careers are relatively short, and they should make the most of theit talent while they can. There is plenty of time to persue these other things once they are retired.

CaroLiza_fan

icewhite

Record Breaker

That's the second time in recent weeks that I thought that a set of siblings were the same person :palmf:

To be fair, I couldn't name any player in the Irish rugby team either. Or any rugby player, for that matter. Because I don't follow the sport. And the same with cricket. In fact, I'm notorious for frequently getting cricketers and rugby players mixed up. I might have a vague recognition of the name (usually because of who they are married to, or because they have appeared on a TV show I watch), but I couldn't tell you which sport they do!

And that is the point I am making. Unless you are talking about somebody like Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal or the Williams sisters, sportspeople are usually only known to people who actively follow their sport.

As for Taylor Swift, I am amazed that there are people who couldn't name any of her songs. That said, I can only name two ("Love Story" and "Shake It Off"). But, they were both big hits that were never off the radio at the time.

You know, although it can raise their profile amongst people who do not follow their sport, I don't like it when sportspeople start behaving like they are celebrities rather than sportspeople. I liked Lewis Hamilton when he first came into Formula 1. Here was a guy who was born the same year as me, and who came from a very humble background, but who made it to the top because of his sheer talent. But then he started dating Nicole Scherzinger, and started thinking of himself as a celebrity. It went to his head. And that put me off him.

I strongly believe that while sportspeople are still actively competing, they should concentrate on their sport and not be letting themselves get drawn in by the bright lights of the celebrity lifestyle. Sporting careers are relatively short, and they should make the most of theit talent while they can. There is plenty of time to persue these other things once they are retired.

CaroLiza_fan

Oh that's a harsh view on love... :)

I mean let's just for a moment imagine they actually date someone because they have deeply fallen in love... and not just as some form of entertainment when they could easily do something else...

I'm sure there are some that could easily do the dating later, and some that actually fall in love and (that) love might mean more to them than everything else. :)

To stay totally off topic I don't know any football players except for Tom Brady - and I only know him by name, wouldn't identify him if I saw him, never saw him play - and no rugby or cricket players at all. I do know quite a few Taylor Swift songs. I don't know what that says about me. 😬
But I sure know that I would not be opposed to her dating someone younger and/or smaller than her. Figure skater or not. ❤️
😃

CaroLiza_fan said:

But you could also turn that around and say, since sports careers are so short you have to make hay while the sun shines. Tomorrow you can't say, "Now that I'm retired treat me like a celebrity, give me lots of money, sponsorships, public appearances, publicity about who I am dating, etc. -- did I mention money? And if anyone asks, who's he? I'll just respond, ask your grandpa!"

(Exception: Barry Sanders, age 55, former running back for the Detroit Lions, is still the toast of the town in Detroit. :) Sanders retried in 1999 juat a few yards short of the all-time NFLcareer rushing yardage record. In the decade 2001-2010 the Lions went 2-14, 3-13, 5-11, 6-10, 5-11, 3-13, 7-9, 0-16, 2-14 and 6-10.)

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would be curious to know how many American football players are actually well-known outside of this country.
I feel fairly confident in saying that most Aussies and the other non-Americans I know couldn't name a single American football player (or baseball, or more than a single basketball) star if you paid them. But then, the stars don't need us do they? Just as Indian cricket players and Brazilian soccer stars don't need to be known in the US. Domestic fame can still be massive and lucrative.

Lot of people never listen to the radio any more...

The lifestyle can be a career killer, yes but it's like musicians, actors, pretty much anyone who becomes famous for their talent in a competitive field, being A Star is pretty heady for anyone, especially the young, and they're out to enjoy it while they have it. There might not be plenty, or in fact any, time when they're replaced in the media and people's attention.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I feel fairly confident in saying that most Aussies and the other non-Americans I know couldn't name a single American football player (or baseball, or more than a single basketball) star if you paid them. But then, the stars don't need us do they? Just as Indian cricket players and Brazilian soccer stars don't need to be known in the US. Domestic fame can still be massive and lucrative.
I'm going for the all-round Ignorance title here. I couldn't name any American sports stars, certainly not for team sports. Maybe some hockey players, but they'd probably be Canadians playing there. Come to think of it, I look at the gymnastics forum here but don't recognize any of the names. They don't make the sports news here.

As for performers in the popular music field, while I'm familiar with the name "Taylor Swift", I don't think I could pick her face out of a group, and if I've ever heard her sing I wasn't aware who it was. Time-traveller from another century, I guess that's me:scratch2::shrug:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

CaroLiza_fan
I hear Taylor Swift songs at every arena when I'm watching skating. US, Korea, Thailand, doesn't matter.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I hear Taylor Swift songs at every arena when I'm watching skating. US, Korea, Thailand, doesn't matter.
They probably play her songs at the arena(s) where I skate in Vancouver. I just don't know it's her because I don't know what her voice sounds like or what she sings. When it's just my partner and me skating, we turn off the rink sound and play our own choices that we bring with us.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Much of this just supports @noskates original post:

1. Sports are soooo country centric. As I never tire of reminding people, to everyone's dismay:biggrin:, I am a huge football fan. Bleed green, Fly Eagles Fly, love them almost as much as Jason Brown, but for far longer (of necessity)

I could not name one men's soccer player (I do know some women), not one. Some guy is playing in Miami who I think is a big name, but I couldn't tell you what that name is. I am not saying this to be rude, or to shock, or to revel in some kind of ignorance, but to show how country centric it is. (even playing in the US, I don't know his name.) But I can tell you the names of players on the practice squad for the Eagles. Just depends where your fandom lies🤷‍♀️

2. Travis Kelce is a big big big name in football here. I don't think he's crying himself to sleep that he is not a name outside the US, or that he particularly cares. As @TallyT said, there is enough money to be made being a big star in the US, and for other sports stars in the country where they are famous. I don't think sports stars elsewhere are crying themselves to sleep that Americans don't know them.

3. Travis and Taylor have a real relationship. Is it true love, is it a fling, somewhere in between? Who knows. But claiming that the relationship is faked for publicity gives off "the moon landing was staged" energy.

You can be sick of the hullabaloo and accept that they are really dating. Both things can be true. :)

4. Except for people kindly supplying me with songs, I couldn't name a Taylor Swift tune to save my soul. If you played one for me, I could not say "That's Taylor Swift". But I know who she is. That alone means she is a big star, to dent my little world. ;)

To come back to skating: this is a real relationship. If Taylor and Trav break up, and Taylor chooses to engage in a real relationship with a figure skater down the road, more power to her.

And the figure skating fed involved would be committing malpractice if they chose not to publicize the heck out of it. :biggrin:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
As for performers in the popular music field, while I'm familiar with the name "Taylor Swift", I don't think I could pick her face out of a group, and if I've ever heard her sing I wasn't aware who it was. Time-traveller from another century, I guess that's me:scratch2::shrug:
Fame isn't what it was, and it always was weird. Younger folk I talk to online know who Anne Boleyn was (The Tudors! but they still want spoilers wth???) but I've had "who's that?" for Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd.

Not into celebrity culture but presumably this pop star would go for an American or at least NA skater? Can't think of one that would fit...

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Fame isn't what it was, and it always was weird. Younger folk I talk to online know who Anne Boleyn was (The Tudors! but they still want spoilers wth???) but I've had "who's that?" for Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd.

Not into celebrity culture but presumably this pop star would go for an American or at least NA skater? Can't think of one that would fit...
Anne Boleyn lived longer than Jimi Hendrix, that's why. (I actually checked, and was surprised.)

If any male Figure Skater hires baseball star Shohei Ohtani's agency, they may suggest that their client is considering proposing Taylor Swift? (They did claim that Shohei Ohtani was considering proposing Beyonce, just for the clickbait, which inspired a funny Tweet when tabloid pretended to have found who's Yuzuru Hanyu's wife; not Taylor Swift anyway.) But would Taylor Swift have the least opportunity of meeting an athlete from such a niche sport as Figure Skating? I mean, they fly coach, sleep in business hotels...

Here's the funny Tweet:

icewhite

Record Breaker
How they are going to meet? Isn't it obvious?
Her private plane has to do an emergency landing on a small airfield near a small town because of terrible weather. She just broke up with her boyfriend (this football player or whoever) and is tired of her busy schedule, the fame and all, everybody wants something from her, she needs some time off. So while everyone is waiting for better weather and checking the plane and stuff that they do, in her high heels and way too summerly dress she walks alone through the path on which heavy snow is falling and is already regretting her decision when she suddenly sees this person doing something truely amazing on the frozen lake before her. She's struck, she's smitten. She can't even see his face but the beauty of his movements makes her heart stop. She's quietly standing there for a while until that person realizes she's there and skates towards her (stopping very suddenly right in front of her with an elegant use of his toe pick) and asks her if she wants to try it, too.
She says she has no skates (with her), and that's the truth. He (or she, but based on her former dates very likely a he) just grabs her carefully by the waist, and carries her over the ice with him. It's the most beautiful thing she has ever done and she feels so safe and comfortable, yet excited in his arms. After a while he recognizes she's freezing although she hasn't felt it herself because it was so wonderful, and he gives her his sponsored by Nike training jacket and walks her through the snow up to her plane. He's quite astonished she has a private jet because he had no idea who she was.

(Have to admit, he's likely a pairs' skater.)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Her private plane has to do an emergency landing on a small airfield near a small town because of terrible weather. She just broke up with her boyfriend (this football player or whoever) and is tired of her busy schedule, the fame and all, everybody wants something from her, she needs some time off. So while everyone is waiting for better weather and checking the plane and stuff that they do, in her high heels and way too summerly dress she walks alone through the path on which heavy snow is falling and is already regretting her decision when she suddenly sees this person doing something truely amazing on the frozen lake before her. She's struck, she's smitten. She can't even see his face but the beauty of his movements makes her heart stop. She's quietly standing there for a while until that person realizes she's there and skates towards her (stopping very suddenly right in front of her with an elegant use of his toe pick) and asks her if she wants to try it, too.
She says she has no skates (with her), and that's the truth. He (or she, but based on her former dates very likely a he) just grabs her carefully by the waist, and carries her over the ice with him. It's the most beautiful thing she has ever done and she feels so safe and comfortable, yet excited in his arms. After a while he recognizes she's freezing although she hasn't felt it herself because it was so wonderful, and he gives her his sponsored by Nike training jacket and walks her through the snow up to her plane. He's quite astonished she has a private jet because he had no idea who she was.

:clap::laugh::clap::laugh::clap::laugh::clap:

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker

Then it must be Carolina Kostner because Keegan Messing is already married! But then, if her plane is forced to an emergency landing in the Alps, she's more likely to land on Sion Airport which has always nice weather, and it's near Stéphane Lambiel's home, not Carolina Kostner's; but he doesn't skate on frozen lakes, does he? Yet he's so handsome that it would make a beautiful photo, affair or not.

stargazer1

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
I think that the most likely candidate would be Brandon Frazier (Pairs man, suitable age and height, American and Olympian). Although I would not wish the inevitable media circus on him, or on any other figure skater.