Who is going to US Nationals? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who is going to US Nationals?

temadd

Final Flight
Definitely!

The main opportunities I think
* Brunch/lunch prior to Short Dance at 1 p.m.
* Breakfast prior to Pairs Free at 11:45 a.m. Saturday (Sunday probably would not work since the start time for FD is earlier and several people are going to probably attend the Friends of Figure Skating breakfast, including possibly me if I decide to join)
* Late dinner/happy hour (8 p.m. ish?) after Men's and Ladies' free skates on Friday or Saturday
* Dinner/meet-up Sunday between Free Dance and exhibition.

We can do what I did at 2016 Worlds which is arrange a few choices -- we did a pizza dinner one night and brunch another day. We also used the Slack app to set up informal gatherings, so I ended up meeting up with people several times.

I'm definitely up for Fri and all others are a possibility except sunday.

Bookworm

Rinkside
I just bought an all-event pass to Nationals -- it will be my very first time watching figure skating live and I am beyond excited! As a first-time attendee, I have a few basic questions for the more experienced masses: are there guidelines or restrictions on gifts we can bring to throw on the ice at the end of a performance? And what is the general protocol on posters/signs? Are we in a venue that allows signs supporting skaters to be hung for the entirety of the event, or do we have to keep them with us and raise them up once the skater actually skates?

Very much appreciate any insight!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Updated list!

Mrs. P
apgold
CoyoteChris
Tonichelle
mrrice
noskates
ruffledgrouse
temadd
nguyhm
Hyena
MFarone
mirai4life
Ravyn Rant
TanithandBenFan
b-man
Arriba627
KatGrace1625
Skating Gator
icejo
Ruffles78
SkateJuipter
Sjs5572
Bookworm
Liz1201
gravy (?)
ice coverage - maybe?

Thanks all for your feedback on the outings. I think I'll wait until I see a full schedule before finalizing anything..

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I just bought an all-event pass to Nationals -- it will be my very first time watching figure skating live and I am beyond excited! As a first-time attendee, I have a few basic questions for the more experienced masses: are there guidelines or restrictions on gifts we can bring to throw on the ice at the end of a performance? And what is the general protocol on posters/signs? Are we in a venue that allows signs supporting skaters to be hung for the entirety of the event, or do we have to keep them with us and raise them up once the skater actually skates?

Very much appreciate any insight!

Ah, the great mysteries of skating events...every event is different....you can contact the venue but at the end of the day, whatever they say at the arena is what goes. My personal opinion about throwing things on the ice is please put the items in zip lock bags. Those of us in the front rows have many times had to point out small items and pieces of costumes that the sweepers miss. There is a old Canadian lady who dresses up like a red clown who waits for all the sweepers to return to their roost before throwing an envelope onto the ice...for every Canadian Skater. We dont need any accidents because of items on the ice.
Looking back through my pics of San Jose 2012, there WERE banners allowed up high....
http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/C...irai san jose_zpseoz4gonv.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Bookworm

Rinkside
Thanks for the tips, CoyoteChris, much appreciated. The items that I am planning to throw for skaters are your traditional oversized stuffed animals, with no embellishments of any kind, so it shouldn't cause any accidental debris (I hope).

I hope we are allowed to hang banners a la San Jose 2012. I am planning to nerd out and make some pretty elaborate banners for my faves, but it would be great to just hang them up and have my hands-free at the events. I think I might go back an re-watch some 2012 performances to get a better sense of the arena and fan protocol.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I know that every US Nationals I've attended they've removed signs that were hung up and left there throughout the days of competition. Not sure if it was just the venue doing that, or if it's a USFSA thing?

Bookworm

Rinkside
Ah, the great mysteries of skating events...every event is different....you can contact the venue but at the end of the day, whatever they say at the arena is what goes. My personal opinion about throwing things on the ice is please put the items in zip lock bags. Those of us in the front rows have many times had to point out small items and pieces of costumes that the sweepers miss. There is a old Canadian lady who dresses up like a red clown who waits for all the sweepers to return to their roost before throwing an envelope onto the ice...for every Canadian Skater. We dont need any accidents because of items on the ice.
Looking back through my pics of San Jose 2012, there WERE banners allowed up high....
http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/C...irai san jose_zpseoz4gonv.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Since you've been in the San Jose venue before, do you mind answering another q for me? I initially purchased tickets in the 200-range, because I couldn't justify overspending right after the holidays, but now I'm wondering if those seats are too far away or elevated, given my desire to be in position to throw gifts / have signs visible to the skaters. Would you recommend that I upgrade the seats to ones in the 100-tiers? How exactly do the 200-tier seats stack up?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Since you've been in the San Jose venue before, do you mind answering another q for me? I initially purchased tickets in the 200-range, because I couldn't justify overspending right after the holidays, but now I'm wondering if those seats are too far away or elevated, given my desire to be in position to throw gifts / have signs visible to the skaters. Would you recommend that I upgrade the seats to ones in the 100-tiers? How exactly do the 200-tier seats stack up?

Bookworm, here is my take and only my take. If I had to go up in the nose bleeds, I wouldnt go. Over 10 nats, three worlds, and I dont know how many 4 Conts and Skate Americas and
Skate canadas, I have sat around the arenas of North America and tried different seating places. I am not sure about SJ but I doubt that unless you pitch for the Mets, you can hit the ice with a stuffed animal...and do you really want "fur" on the ice? Those stuffed animals go to the trunks of police cars to comfort kids during trama and to Hospital wards, which is fine....the skaters keep oh so few. Just keep that in mind. If I like a skater, I give to the New England Am. Skating foundation where the money, great and small, goes to THAT skater's expenses that you name and you get a thankyou card from the skater personnally.

You wont be sorry upgrading if you can go into hock and upgrade..maybe even move your nosebleeds to someone else. ..sometimes, you can buy cheep tickets right at the entrance before an event where someone couldnt make it and his/her friend is trying to dump the ticket before going in. For me, 13 rows back from the ice is about it, but everyone is different. I dont need to sit in the nose bleeds and watch the top of someone's head go around the ice. Arenas are different. And people are different, but that's my story and I am sticking to it! ;)
(I am going on a mission in two days so I would be glad to answer any other questions you have but we dont have much time....will be back on the 20th.....)

Take a gander at this pic and tell me you want to be this far away from the ice.....
http://hendriksvisitedstadiums.com/gallery/SJSDSC01631.jpg

waxel

Final Flight
I will be there Jan 2 - 7! Can. Not. Wait.

Plus I was just granted Media Credentials so this will add a new dimension to the experience this year!

Bookworm

Rinkside
Bookworm, here is my take and only my take. If I had to go up in the nose bleeds, I wouldnt go. Over 10 nats, three worlds, and I dont know how many 4 Conts and Skate Americas and
Skate canadas, I have sat around the arenas of North America and tried different seating places. I am not sure about SJ but I doubt that unless you pitch for the Mets, you can hit the ice with a stuffed animal...and do you really want "fur" on the ice? Those stuffed animals go to the trunks of police cars to comfort kids during trama and to Hospital wards, which is fine....the skaters keep oh so few. Just keep that in mind. If I like a skater, I give to the New England Am. Skating foundation where the money, great and small, goes to THAT skater's expenses that you name and you get a thankyou card from the skater personnally.

You wont be sorry upgrading if you can go into hock and upgrade..maybe even move your nosebleeds to someone else. ..sometimes, you can buy cheep tickets right at the entrance before an event where someone couldnt make it and his/her friend is trying to dump the ticket before going in. For me, 13 rows back from the ice is about it, but everyone is different. I dont need to sit in the nose bleeds and watch the top of someone's head go around the ice. Arenas are different. And people are different, but that's my story and I am sticking to it! ;)
(I am going on a mission in two days so I would be glad to answer any other questions you have but we dont have much time....will be back on the 20th.....)

Take a gander at this pic and tell me you want to be this far away from the ice.....
http://hendriksvisitedstadiums.com/gallery/SJSDSC01631.jpg

Many thanks for responding. I also like to donate to the New England Skating Foundation, but have been obsessed (since watching Michelle with the giant Elmo in the K&C as a kid) with the idea of throwing stuffed animals at the end of a skating performance. I know it's juvenile, but this is my first time attending a live competition, so I'm afraid I can't resist the idea of engaging in all of the fanfare to the fullest extent. Anyhow, I took your advice to heart and upgraded my seats to section 120. (I also played pitcher in a local lawyers' softball league, so should have pretty good aim :agree:)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Many thanks for responding. I also like to donate to the New England Skating Foundation, but have been obsessed (since watching Michelle with the giant Elmo in the K&C as a kid) with the idea of throwing stuffed animals at the end of a skating performance. I know it's juvenile, but this is my first time attending a live competition, so I'm afraid I can't resist the idea of engaging in all of the fanfare to the fullest extent. Anyhow, I took your advice to heart and upgraded my seats to section 120. (I also played pitcher in a local lawyers' softball league, so should have pretty good aim :agree:)

I'm in 124, so just a few sections over! :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

nothing wrong with the throwing of items. when I go, one of the friends I hang out with brings tons of goodies... and I get to be her throwing arm *sigh* one year I had to throw giant kissy lips for Johnny Weir. *facepalm*

nguyhm

On the Ice
Wow! That is way cool! I am gonna have to make a list of y'all and I hope to meet up with you and put a name and face to a handle.
Meanwhile, I want you all to work on pressuring ice coverage to show up! ;)
I know Mrs. P, b-man and MFarone and I think we need a Mirai fan club in this group so we can all get a pic with her together.....
Please add me to the Mirai fan club. Thank you

patines

Rinkside
I will definitely be there. It is 15 minutes from my house and Nationals in San Jose is how I got hooked on figure skating. Nationals came to San Jose in 1996 and it was my first time attending. Rudy's win was electric and it was Michelle's first National title. How can I not get hooked. I have missed three Nationals since. And I will be there again with bells on.

nguyhm

On the Ice
Is anyone walking to and from the arena to Hyatt Place? May be we can meet up and walk together especially from the arena late at night.