Why there were no Chinese women competing in singles this year at Worlds? | Golden Skate

Why there were no Chinese women competing in singles this year at Worlds?

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm out of touch, can someone explain me that? No skaters with minimums?! Or all got injured?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Shiryaeva would be the only other senior lady who could get them the minimum TES.
That's not true. Some of the Canadian senior women have either the SP or the LP minimums already. What they need is get out there and compete to get their scores. As seen at WC, there are quite a few women, weaker than the current Canadian women, who had their minimums. The difference, they managed to compete in quite a lot more events, smaller events. The TES minimums for the SP is the harder score to get... yet, Justine Miclette has them and she has no 3-3 combo... Fée Ann Landry, to name just one received close to 34 at Canada challenge for a clean program. Of course, it's a national event so it doesn't count, but at the same time, the Canadian tech panel and judges are known for being strict. All the Canadian women need is a bit of patience and support.

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
In regards to the Canadian Women - what they need is to get sent to more smaller yet scoring events where the judges seem to be easier with the calls and marks. Look at the SB list and you will see a lot of those were achieved at smaller events.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It is. Hongyi Chen has the short TES, she may have been able to get the free if she could have competed more internationally.
I would have thought the Chinese would have sent their kids out, though. I know the Canadian fed is cash-strapped, but China...? I hope it isn't a sign that they are losing interest in their own.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I would have thought the Chinese would have sent their kids out, though. I know the Canadian fed is cash-strapped, but China...? I hope it isn't a sign that they are losing interest in their own.
I think it has to be said that they have indeed, some kids, very talented, but too young for senior worlds. So it's not only a question of minimums for them but also age eligibility.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think it has to be said that they have indeed, some kids, very talented, but too young for senior worlds. So it's not only a question of minimums for them but also age eligibility.
I will look for them in juniors next year :)

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
The Chinese fed currently does not have a lot of money either, skaters requesting international events (Challengers, Senior Bs) are now required to fully cover their costs themselves (and even if willing and able to do that, the Chinese fed can (and will) still deny their requests).

JeanA

Rinkside
I'm surprised An Xiangyi didn't make her minimums. Her SP was exquisite and I saw her skate it cleanly several times. And her LP wasn't bad either. Or was she injured? Her skating belonged at Worlds, considering some of the wretched skating we had to endure at Worlds.

ETA: How many skaters at Worlds did not score the 'minimums' needed to actually have made Worlds this year?

JeanA

Rinkside
I did some checking, and the skaters at Worlds who didn't meet the 32 SP requirement to be at Worlds this year: Mona Chiba, Olga Mikutina, Madeline Schizas, Sarina Joos, Anastasiia Gubanova, Nella Pelkinen, Tzu-Han Ting, Mia Risa Gomez, Nataly Langerbaur, Nina Povey, Alexandra Feigin, Julia Sauter, Aliska Brezinova, Kristina Isaev, Vanessa Selmekova

Those who didn't meet the 53 LP requirements (only from the top 24 who advanced): Madeline Schizas, Niina Petrokina, Josefin Taljegard, Nataly Langerbaur, Tzu-Han Ting, Mia Risa Gomez, Nella Pelkinen (Leona Hendrixx was close with 54.87)

Last edited:

Okapia Wang

Spectator
I'm surprised An Xiangyi didn't make her minimums. Her SP was exquisite and I saw her skate it cleanly several times. And her LP wasn't bad either. Or was she injured? Her skating belonged at Worlds, considering some of the wretched skating we had to endure at Worlds.

ETA: How many skaters at Worlds did not score the 'minimums' needed to actually have made Worlds this year?
This season Xiangyi An is undergoing puberty and she doesn't and cannot complete a 3Lz or 3F in LP (even her other jumps were becoming unstable) so the mts for LP would be a tough thing...but for SP she had good 3-3 combinations and can easily get mts. She could clean SP but lacks the physical power for her grown body in LP, so there were StSq and spins with lower level and poor GOE. She is in much better condition in Chinese Winter Games at the end of the February, but there is no time and competition for her to get mts. Really looking forward to her next season.