Worlds Coming to Boston 2025 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Worlds Coming to Boston 2025

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Y'all are kind of missing the most salient point. The city has to WANT the event, provide adequate lodging and transportation, and have a site that probably already has ice laid down. I don't think it's a matter of west coast/east coast/midwest. The Boston skating club has been very active in promoting TD Garden and Boston. Same with the groups in San Jose. It really isn't a matter of "gee, why don't they ever have it (fill in the blank!)" And it's going to be costly pretty much wherever it is unless you live in or near that city.
Absolutely. There has to be adequate hotel space, practice rink availability options that aren't too far away from the main rink. And some cities may prefer to host other big sports events rather than niche figure skating. There are a ton of logistics involved. I'm fully aware of that. I'm also aware that some of the cities that used to host a bit more or at least every seven to eight years aren't on the radar anymore for U.S. Nationals even, much less ever hosting a World championships, tho' they may have once or twice in the olden days before figure skating was even televised. Worlds is larger and more complicated to host than in the days of outdoor rinks and fewer competitors.

Plus, newer state-of-the-art venues in hip places like Portland, et al., are favored.Since Salt Lake City hosted an Olympics, maybe they could do a Worlds event there.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Although people may say "No more Vegas, please!", they have the T-Mobile Arena (20,000 capacity), along with the close-by Cox Pavilion where the UNLV hockey team plays which could be used for practice. Perhaps the Orleans rink could be used for practice? Nearby Sumerlin has rinks (Team Japan arrived early to Skate America and practiced there). Weather in Vegas in March is fantastic! Seems like a great possibility!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Absolutely. There has to be adequate hotel space, practice rink availability options that aren't too far away from the main rink. And some cities may prefer to host other big sports events rather than niche figure skating. There are a ton of logistics involved. I'm fully aware of that. I'm also aware that some of the cities that used to host a bit more or at least every seven to eight years aren't on the radar anymore for U.S. Nationals even, much less ever hosting a World championships, tho' they may have once or twice in the olden days before figure skating was even televised. Worlds is larger and more complicated to host than in the days of outdoor rinks and fewer competitors.

Plus, newer state-of-the-art venues in hip places like Portland, et al., are favored.Since Salt Lake City hosted an Olympics, maybe they could do a Worlds event there.
I had heard that Detroit was going to put in a bid. Clearly I heard wrong. The facility there is quite new, stunning and they seemed very glad to have us there (for Nationals)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, it was different in earlier times. These days, there's a lot of logistics and transportation issues involved, along with availability of arenas, complicated by competing sports events.
But they have every freaking thing on earth in Lake Placid, which is really inconvenient to access unless you live close.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I have my private jet and limo, which can tow a porta potty, I would like to go back to Boston and see the history there....walk the old streets.....eat at outside cafes.....the biggest problem with big cities is that they are full of people! :scratch2:
They are really people-y. Fortunately I don’t mind it I’m there to watch skating.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Love your plugs for high-speed rail. I would add the Northeast Megalopolis - Boston to Washington DC. And I'd add Philadelphia to Pittsburgh - possibly connecting to your Cleveland - Columbus connection. And connect that to Cincinnati as well.

But getting back to other cities to host Worlds, I'm happy with Boston just knowing that their hosting of Worlds in 2016 was very successful, and the whole area is a great area to visit. I'm grateful that the US is hosting a Worlds! But I can certainly understand why it would be nice to explore other options, like Minneapolis / St. Paul again or possibly somewhere like Detroit, knowing there are several skating clubs up there who would be a good pool of potential volunteers.

Or for something totally out of the box, I wonder about venues in Florida. Ice hockey is actually pretty popular in Florida, and Tampa's Amelie Arena, which hosts the Tampa Bay Lightning, would work. The Tampa airport is a decent size and a very nice one, and it's right next to downtown, and the Orlando airport is about 1 1./2 to 2 hours away. A crazy idea I'm sure but fun to think about.
Pittsburgh has like 2 Amtrak trains a day, maybe 3. Tiniest station I’ve been in.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope it's not too expensive. I lived near Boston for a few years so it would be nice to take a trip back.
If it’s like it was last time the nosebleeds will be cheapish. If you want good seats, it will not be cheap.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
They are really people-y. Fortunately I don’t mind it I’m there to watch skating.
I am glad I went there for nats and for worlds...dont miss playing frogger in the traffic....hope y'all can have some more great get togethers for GSers like we had pre-pandemic....Hopefully in the last few years they got rid of the rodent problem...they had to cover the condiment nozzels at night so they wouldnt feed...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
But they have every freaking thing on earth in Lake Placid, which is really inconvenient to access unless you live close.
Which is a shame cause I love Lake Placid...but unlike Europe where trains run everywhere, you either rent a car and drive a long while to get there from an airport, or you fly at great expense to a little regional airport and then find some way to get from there to Lake Placid.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Which is a shame cause I love Lake Placid...but unlike Europe where trains run everywhere, you either rent a car and drive a long while to get there from an airport, or you fly at great expense to a little regional airport and then find some way to get from there to Lake Placid.

They do, but let's not glorify the experience. Sometimes you spend hours on the train, too, especially if you transfer and if there are delays and diversions. Two locations being near each other on the map doesn't necessarily mean the journey will be short. The Nebelhorn thread here in the Edge is a good example of that. That said, I enjoy traveling by train, no matter how long it takes, and I definitely support having more local trains all over the world to offer an alternative to cars. Lake Placid sure sounds like a nightmarish location for a non-driver like me.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
They do, but let's not glorify the experience. Sometimes you spend hours on the train, too, especially if you transfer and if there are delays and diversions. Two locations being near each other on the map doesn't necessarily mean the journey will be short. The Nebelhorn thread here in the Edge is a good example of that. That said, I enjoy traveling by train, no matter how long it takes, and I definitely support having more local trains all over the world to offer an alternative to cars. Lake Placid sure sounds like a nightmarish location for a non-driver like me.
At Christmas time, I meet two Americans who are married and who moved to Berlin for her work. They dont have a car but when they want to travel at their speed, they rent one. They rave about the bus/commuter train/ inter city and behond rail system in Germany. My best friend Joe is a retired USAF Col. and he was stationed in Germany. Last fall, he took his girl friend to Bavaria and they took public transportation everywhere. I see pics and stories about the Japanese inter city rail system and my jaw drops....new , clean and safe with even first class trains. In the US, trains and buses are filthy and full of "interesting" people and they have been that way for quite awhile.....if the timing works, you can find sleeper cars with individual rooms but they are not cheep.....Interestingly, while driving to Seattle from Spokane will cost the planet .4 pounds of carbon into the air per person mile with one person in the car, planes are about .35 pounds of carbon, and trains are about .3 lbs, so there isnt a huge difference, but there are lots of unintended consiquences with anyway you travel.....
America is pretty much addicted to the car /SUV and they dont care how much gas costs.....ditto motorhomes and trailers...and jet skis and off road quad vehicles and ski boats that get gallons per mile.....and they vote down school bonds and buy out a "Foo Fighter" rock concert in a day. I weep for my country...and planet earth.....

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
*peeks into thread*

Just checking to see if there have been any updates. Yes, I know it's early. I'm watching this thread to stay up to date regarding tickets and hotels.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I only been in Boston once some time ago, but there definitely wasn’t any traffic. Quite the opposite. (Matter of fact, I missed a bombing by mere hours. I would have been in the airport or in the air while it was happening.) I do remember my cabbie telling me that I’m lucky because all roads are soon to be blocked because of a run so maybe that’s why.

Anyways, last year I had a conference in Maine. It was recommended that I fly out of Manchester instead of Boston, which I almost didn’t do because I didn’t understand the geography. I can’t even remember the state Manchester was in but I definitely remember it wasn’t even in Maine or Massachusetts but managed to be close enough to Boston airport anyway. I remember being the only one at the conference that didn’t have issues with leaving the airport or traffic. I switched hotels the day the conference was over so I can be closer to the airport and traffic was fine on the way to the second hotel.

If I were to go to Worlds in Boston, I’m thinking I would fly out of this Manchester airport and lodge close by and just drive the ways to the rink. The second hotel I was at is about an hour away from the rink. From what I’ve heard at the conference and from this thread, am I to understand that I will experience craziness on the way to the rink?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I only been in Boston once some time ago, but there definitely wasn’t any traffic. Quite the opposite. (Matter of fact, I missed a bombing by mere hours. I would have been in the airport or in the air while it was happening.) I do remember my cabbie telling me that I’m lucky because all roads are soon to be blocked because of a run so maybe that’s why.

Anyways, last year I had a conference in Maine. It was recommended that I fly out of Manchester instead of Boston, which I almost didn’t do because I didn’t understand the geography. I can’t even remember the state Manchester was in but I definitely remember it wasn’t even in Maine or Massachusetts but managed to be close enough to Boston airport anyway. I remember being the only one at the conference that didn’t have issues with leaving the airport or traffic. I switched hotels the day the conference was over so I can be closer to the airport and traffic was fine on the way to the second hotel.

If I were to go to Worlds in Boston, I’m thinking I would fly out of this Manchester airport and lodge close by and just drive the ways to the rink. The second hotel I was at is about an hour away from the rink. From what I’ve heard at the conference and from this thread, am I to understand that I will experience craziness on the way to the rink?

If you were not running or watching the Marathon, you would have been nowhere near the bombing, although I am glad you cleared Boston before the tragedy and the manhunt. One does not simply stroll to the finish line at the Boston Marathon <insert GIF here>

Manchester is in New Hampshire, about an hour from Boston. I can see where, given where Logan is located and how busy it can be, that could be a good suggestion for a flight. Then again, I have traveled to Boston only for work and only three times in my life, (one additional time as a tourist on a cruise, but I don't think cruise ship is a reliable way to travel to Worlds ;) ) so I am not an expert. That and the fact that the "Big Dig" was ongoing all three times I was there, and bookered traffic even more than usual.:biggrin:

noskates

Record Breaker
The last time I was in Boston for Worlds we stayed at a hotel (Wyndam I think) which was across the street from an MTA station. Two of us shared the room and it cost me $85/night. We walked across the street, got on the train (which was spotless and nice-smelling - which if you're from the SF Bay Area and have ever taken BART it was a blessing) and got to TD Gardens quite quickly. IIRC we bought a pass the first day and were able to use it for the duration. Going back to the hotel at night was not scary at all. I think if you do some homework you can "do" Boston without spending an arm and a leg. I don't recall what we spent on tickets but we had good seats center ice about half way up. No figure skating competition is going to be cheap unless you live around the corner from the arena. You just have to know that going in and decide if it's worth what you have to pay. I've always thought it was well worth the cost - especially seeing international figure skaters in person. The MTA is a great way to get around Boston - it's clean, safe and convenient. Start saving now! :biggrin:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

We stayed in Peabody, which I don’t recommend. We were out of the radius of the hotels courtesy van, so had to drive to the subway station. We did not experience much traffic. It did take awhile (and a train change) to get to the arena. I really will miss having a car this time. I love going to Salem.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I stayed at the Double Tree when I went to 2016 Worlds. The subway stop was about 30 steps from the hotel door. SO easy. The Double tree was pricey and didn't include breakfast. For 2014 Nats I stayed at the Long Wharf Marriott which I loved. We took a water taxi to and from the airport. It was great. There is a Legal Seafood nearby, and you are just a short walk from Fanueil Hall.

nguyhm

On the Ice
I went to Boston for World Championship in 2016 and loved it. The hotels are pricey but I was fortunate to have my son treat me to stay at the Ritz Carlton (in China town). I got a pass for the MTA and transportation to/from TD Garden went smoothly - coming from the boon dock (a suburb outside of Dallas) I was still able to navigate. I took a shuttle (for free) from Logan airport to the hotel and it was great. I would love to go back to Boston and hopefully be able to spend more time exploring the town either before or after the competition.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We stayed in a hotel near Copley Square for 2016 Worlds. It was a pleasure to take the train to get to the Garden. There's no way on earth we would drive from Philly to Boston!