Writing this novella for a contest, might be of interest to someone. | Golden Skate

Writing this novella for a contest, might be of interest to someone.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Hi guys, in my quest to be a writer, I participate in this fun Open Novella contest annually, but this year I am writing something that might be of interest for some folks here. I think. Anyway… the info:

> Title: The Tetrachromat
> Genre: Historical
> Subgenre: Paranormal
> Audience: NA, A
> Prompts: 37
> Important Tags: anti-war, paranormal, time-travel, mystery
> Warning: it’s frank and has some gory descriptions
> Summary:

In 2023, eighteen-year-old Grisha is upset over missing his admission to a prestigious Art Academy. Worse, he's drafted to fight in an unjust war he hates. In a fit of rage, Grisha rips his second-hand text-book and hurls it at his hardliner father. He fervently wishes he could fix Russia's violent history just like that. To erase the shadow of Ivan the Terrible, as it looms larger and larger over Grisha's world, driving him to the brink of self-destruction.

In response, the world crumbles around Grisha until all that is left of him is his soul, which travels through time to find Besson in the year 1591.

Also eighteen, Besson is a suspect in the killing of a child Prince-Ivan the Terrible's son-when his only desire is to paint icons in a quiet monastery. Together, Grisha and Besson hunt for a mythical assassin and an answer to the question of who you should kill so there is always peace.

> Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/333544769

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Very interesting and timely concept. Best wishes with this endeavor.
Thank you. The prompt in the competition immediately gave me this concept, even though I am pretty sure they were looking for something along the lines of Bill and Ted’s charming adventures. Some folks said it has a resemblance to Umbrella Academy, but I feel my focus is way, way different tbh.

It’s been going well so far, though I have another month to decide if I can stay under 40K to continue participating in the contest (if it passes Round 1 judging) or skip entering Round 2 and just admit it’s a novel I can work on for Creators’ word counts… heh, life of an underdog writer.

Last edited:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thank you. The prompt in the competition immediately gave me this concept, even though I am pretty sure they were looking for something along the lines of Bill and Ted’s charming adventures. Some folks said it has a resemblance to Umbrella Academy, but I feel my focus is way, way different tbh.

It’s been going well so far, though I have another month to decide if I can stay under 40K to continue participating in the contest (if it passes Round 1 judging) or skip entering Round 2 and just admit it’s a novel I can work on for Creators’ word counts… heh, life of an underdog writer.
Cheering you on, whatever you decide. Best of luck! :cheer:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I advanced to Round 2, but i don’t want to butcher the rest of the story to stick to 40K word count to be eligible as a novella. So I won’t be entering round 2, opening the way for other guys who are competing this year. I plan to complete it by August to enter as novel into the year-end novel competition instead. 😇

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Still working on a novel version and will be for a while, but my other novella made an Ambassador picks list for Round 2. That's the best I've done in this contest so far in 4 years of participation. Yay!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
And, wow, made the shortlist, which is, again, my first in this contest.

That's aside, I put The Tetrachromat on the monthly schedule for now, until I prep two other books for the novel contest in August (yeah, that's my life) and the June update is out. :popcorn: