Your favorite sport(s) besides figure skating? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Your favorite sport(s) besides figure skating?

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I voted for ballet, since I don’t really watch other sports regularly (but I very much go to the ballet!) That being said, I know just enough about curling to enjoy watching it sometimes, and I like trying to watch different sports that aren’t usually covered on TV during the Olympics when I have the opportunity to do so.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
There is nothing which inspires me and gives me joy like figure skating does. I do not watch anything else any more.

Foremost it used to be mma which I watched and trained incessantly for too long. Bodybuilding and various strength sports also were probably what I held interest in the longest (many years).

However these all came to bore me as I began to find them vapid and unfulfilling.

I do maintain an intellectual respect for bodybuilding - it is inarticulably hard mentally and physically (particularly in regards to dieting). Still there is no active interest left with it to me.

I do on occasion watch rhythmic gymnastics but my knowledge isn't sophisticated at all in that sport as it is with (ladies') skating. Also I do appreciate old school ladies' beam + uneven bars routines.

I'll mention also that I am gaining an interesting in pairs/ice dance and will watch both events at the upcoming Rus Nats.

Last edited:

Ivana

On the Ice
Athletics, biathlon and gymnastics...if I really had to pick just 3.

Some others include ice hockey, alpine skiing, ski jumping, nordic skiing from the winter sports and swimming, diving, judo, rock climbing, handball, volleyball, snooker from the summer sports.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Three sports are not enough, I follow a lot of sports.
1. Ice hockey
2. Soccer (proper stuff, not Olympics)
3. winter sports in general

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Some of those options are pretty random- missing my faves which are some of the most popular sports in the world- athletics(track and field) and football (soccer).

I also follow gymnastics too (acrobatic is my favourite but i also watch artistic). Some of the combat sports like boxing or judo.

I absolutely despise tennis though and you couldn't pay me to watch swimming or netball.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I need to go research what is a Skeleton

Here is how I describe Skeleton and it's related sport, Luge:

Skeleton is going down a bobsleigh course head first lying belly down on a tray.

Luge is going down a bobsleigh course feet first lying back down on a tray.

Either way, it's madness! :eek:

CaroLiza_fan

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If the question is about olympic sports, why is ballet included? It isn't a sport (although it does require huge amounts of athletic fitness) and isn't part of the olympics.
Good pointe!! Scuze' the pun :)

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Here is how I describe Skeleton and it's related sport, Luge:

Skeleton is going down a bobsleigh course head first lying belly down on a tray.

Luge is going down a bobsleigh course feet first lying back down on a tray.

Either way, it's madness! :eek:

CaroLiza_fan
Thank you very much for your explanation. Yes, I've seen this sport and also have seen that teams ride together to compete.
I had no idea it's called Skeleton/Luge in English!

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Not in order of relevance
1. Football (FIFA world cup, UEFA, etc)
2. Skiing (freestyle)
3. Ballet
4. Gymnastics

Skeleton is a sliding sport, similar to luge and bobsleigh. They slide down an ice track. In skeleton the athletes slide face down on a small sled. Luge, they lie on their back on the sled. Bobsleigh has larger sleighs which they sit in.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Not in order of relevance
1. Football (FIFA world cup, UEFA, etc)
2. Skiing (freestyle)
3. Ballet
4. Gymnastics

Skeleton is the one for the deranged, where the slider hurtles down the slope headfirst and face-down. A friend whose son does that one says the son tells him "skeleton" refers to the famework of the light sled. He thinks personally it means "a sport where the purpose is to try and break every bone in a human skeleton". Luge is the peculiar one when it's the event for two sliders, one stacked on top of the other. I'm told the top one can get thrown off, and the bottom one gets routinely squashed when the top one jumps on him. Two sports the point of which eludes me (although as a pairs girl, I admit I came in for a lot of the same comments :jaw::palmf:)

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
I'd add reading books, but the amount of words per minute you read and how many pages you finish unfortunately doesn't count as a sport. Well, perhaps spelling contests come a bit close.

I used to follow gymnastics a lot on Eurosport, especially in the 90s. Nowadays, with less time, it's mostly figure skating and when the Netherlands are doing well in something, I will follow them in the news (darts champion for example, didn't even know there was a world darts championship!, Max Verstappen with his races, of course speed skating which I sometimes watch, etc.)

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Skeleton is the one for the deranged, where the slider hurtles down the slope headfirst and face-down. A friend whose son does that one says the son tells him "skeleton" refers to the famework of the light sled. He thinks personally it means "a sport where the purpose is to try and break every bone in a human skeleton". Luge is the peculiar one when it's the event for two sliders, one stacked on top of the other. I'm told the top one can get thrown off, and the bottom one gets routinely squashed when the top one jumps on him. Two sports the point of which eludes me (although as a pairs girl, I admit I came in for a lot of the same comments :jaw::palmf:)
Luge is also a solo event with just one slider