Yuzuru announces a New Solo Show | Golden Skate

Yuzuru announces a New Solo Show

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Called RE_PRAY, with four shows planned atm: 2 at Saitama Super Arena in November, and one each in Saga (SAGA Sunrise Arena) in January next year, and in Yokohama (Pia Arena MM) in February. It will again be a collaboration with Mikiko who was the art director of GIFT. As it's only just been announced, the details of the lottery and whether the rest of us will get a good livestream are not available, but TV Asahi have been confirmed as an official organiser so fingers crossed :clap::biggrin:

Magill

Record Breaker
Called RE_PRAY, with four shows planned atm: 2 at Saitama Super Arena in November, and one each in Saga (SAGA Sunrise Arena) in January next year, and in Yokohama (Pia Arena MM) in February. It will again be a collaboration with Mikiko who was the art director of GIFT. As it's only just been announced, the details of the lottery and whether the rest of us will get a good livestream are not available, but TV Asahi have been confirmed as an official organiser so fingers crossed :clap::biggrin:

Here comes the translation of Yuruzu Hanyu's message regarding the new show Re-Pray (the message is posted on the show's website in Japanese, translation by Marika). "A life that can only be lived once, and a game that can be played over and over again - I believe there are many important things that can only be found in each of these contradictions" - he says. It announces the show will "weave" together its message "with words and skating", as I understand, much like the GIFT did.

Magill

Record Breaker
Yuzuru's 2nd solo show "Re-Pray" will be streamed from Saitama on Day 1 globally and subtitled live in several languages, English, French, Spanish and Portuguese included, alongside with Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese and some others. Next Saturday, November 4, at 5pm JST (Japanaese time).
For those interested, paid access is USD 35 or USD 33 depending on the option selected (with or without the archive recording access until Nov 21).

To buy, go to:

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I bought my streaming ticket, the simplicity of the process (and multi-languages! it is apparently a big Korean company used to streaming big concerts) puts officialdom to shame.

Magill

Record Breaker
I bought my streaming ticket, the simplicity of the process (and multi-languages! it is apparently a big Korean company used to streaming big concerts) puts officialdom to shame.
I bet they know their target audiences pretty well by now so the selection of languages speaks volumes of how multinational and geographically dispersed his international fandom is. And we're speaking only of fans ready to pay for the streaming (and allowed to do so, as there are still some places where it will not be available)....

Last edited:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Good to hear Yuzuru is making it easy for international fans to engage. I wish the Japanese agencies took notice how it's done, especially those that sell merchandize. I'm still hoping he leaves Japan one day to do a world tour so that more fans would be able to see him live: I hope he hasn't ruled that possibility out yet?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Given the continuous over-demand for tickets (even with the lottery! which might not be used elsewhere, helllooooooo bloodbath), the success of the livestreams and the TV stations' shows, and live showing in cinemas through Asia... okay, it has never been done before. But it would be fantastic...

The livestream can't be shown in Russia and China (ahh, politics), but the fans are as I understand working on accessing the live TV.

Magill

Record Breaker
Yuzuru's Re_Pray shown over the weekend is the Zen-like Yuzu at his best, using the game-styled environment he knows so well to ask fundamental questions about life and death, winning and losing, killing to survive and dying when refusing, about playing and being played, as a pawn or a protagonist, and about trying to find meaning in the world with no rules. Simple game-like narration was heavy with metaphors and underlined with episodes of well-designed silence allowing the audience to stop and drink-in the meanings. There was a sort of a dark and deep vibe to it, but there was irony and compassion as well, and the whole show was extremely beautiful, and really flowing, giving an impression of one single unit and not many separate programs just crowded together. Some programs change from show to show, as Yuzuru makes different choices on the game’s display board presented on the screen. The flow was tremendous, as was the message, the narration and the skating itself, of course, with several new and amazing programs and several old and beloved ones (12 altogether).
Saying he received standing ovations at the end of the show is a huge understatement. In spite of the dark and serious vibe, Yuzuru himself coming out onto the ice after the show for thank-yous and good-byes appeared happy, smiling, confident and very, very relaxed. For encore, he skated parts of his iconic LMEY and Seimei programs in a T-shirt, with the vibe of casually entertaining friends at a private get-together.
The archive viewing will be available between 14 and 21 November and can still be bought at beyondlive.com if anyone is interested.
Fun fact: more than 230,000 hearts were left for Yuzu in the paid international stream’s special feature by the Day 1 audience 😊

Last edited:

Wynter

On the Ice
RE_PRAY is amazing. I initially thought it would be hard to top GIFT, but I was wrong. There are some snippets uploaded by fans and I keep rewatching those pieces.

My favorite performance from the first part of the show is perhaps (although it is hard to choose) Gate of Living. I just love it so much.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Someone needs to take the part where he is both playing and in the video game and turn it into an actual game, I'm sure it would be hugely popular.

Magill

Record Breaker
RE_PRAY is amazing. I initially thought it would be hard to top GIFT, but I was wrong. There are some snippets uploaded by fans and I keep rewatching those pieces.

My favorite performance from the first part of the show is perhaps (although it is hard to choose) Gate of Living. I just love it so much.

Same here! Gate of Living is truly amazing as is the clip with the falling blocks. As is the "hear my blades and see me crushing the ice" bit (I have no idea about the proper title). As is.... So many of them. Thank you so much for linking the clips!
Exactly same thoughts here! If anyone imagined GIFT was his peak and his last word, they should see Re_Pray :)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The performance began with a dramatic entrance—darkness, a controller, a loading screen, and electronic music. This set the stage for an extraordinary experience. Yuzuru Hanyu, donning the role of a pixelated video game hero, introduced the audience to his RE_PLAY-themed show, a groundbreaking fusion of figure skating and video game aesthetics.

More...

Wynter

On the Ice

The performance began with a dramatic entrance—darkness, a controller, a loading screen, and electronic music. This set the stage for an extraordinary experience. Yuzuru Hanyu, donning the role of a pixelated video game hero, introduced the audience to his RE_PLAY-themed show, a groundbreaking fusion of figure skating and video game aesthetics.

More...

Thank you for the article. I used to play video games years ago, that's why I was so interested when I heard Yuzu uses games as background for this show.

Tried for Saitama tickets but I lost the lottery. Now I have to try even harder for Yokohama tickets.

Magill

Record Breaker
For those interested, Yuzuru Hanyu Re_Pray Ice Story 3 will be again streamed globally on Sunday January 14, 2024, from Saga this time. The show will be available on Beyond Live website, same as before, with real live English (and other) subtitles, with or without Archive viewing (rewatching available unlimited number of times for limited time only), for USD 33 or 35, depending on the option selected, otherwise with conditions similar to what they were on November 4 for the Saitama stream. Ticket sales have just opened on the Beyond website.. One ticket allows to watch simultaneously on two devices. There are several ways to log in to set up an account ( a must) and a variety of international cards are accepted, as well as, I think, PayPal. Last time the procedure was really easy and the quality of the stream was just great!

ansalda

Spectator
Those who have purchased a Himawari Plus subscription for Japanese Nationals can also use it to watch the replay of Re_Pray Saitama Day 2 (without subtitles) in the archive.
It was broadcast on 7 December 17:00 JST on TV Asahi 2.
TV Asahi 2 is channel no. 57 on my device, channels may differ on other devices, search for channel テレ朝チャンネル2 .