Pang and Tong Making a Comeback?!? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pang and Tong Making a Comeback?!?

BounceAround

On the Ice
They are training for 4CC and WC. Chinese Fed has already assigned their Y/J to the World Universary and remain the 4CC position for P/T,
I think to a larger degree, it's a decision by themselves instead of Chinese fed. Before they decide to come back, Chinese team try their best to push W/W and Y/J onto the stage. They had a complete plan for 2018 based on the four teams. Now this plan has to be changed.
I believe they published their come back because they have handle well.

Thanks for providing this information! Did you find this on their Weibo?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Maybe Tong really wants a super grandiose romantic wedding occasion to match or outdo Zhao's marriage proposal to Shen. ;) He wanted one for his proposal but had to settle for a staged event during a show.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
When I saw the title of the thread I wanted to say no; they appeared worn out and should retire. But after watching the clip posted above, I changed my mind, since they are trying something new and would bring something new.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
They are training for 4CC and WC. Chinese Fed has already assigned their Y/J to the World Universary and remain the 4CC position for P/T,
I think to a larger degree, it's a decision by themselves instead of Chinese fed. Before they decide to come back, Chinese team try their best to push W/W and Y/J onto the stage. They had a complete plan for 2018 based on the four teams. Now this plan has to be changed.
I believe they published their come back because they have handle well.
So if I'm understanding this correctly... :scratch:

4CC team: Peng/Zhang, Sui/Han, Pang/Tong
Worlds team: Peng/Zhang, Sui/Han, Pang/Tong
Universiade: Yu/Jin, Wang/Wang (he's not too old for it, is he?)

If Pang/Tong are healthy and want to go to Worlds in Shanghai, more power to them. Maybe they want a third World title to match Shen/Zhao. But continuing 'til 2018 just seems :shocked: But hey, I defended Aliona, so who I am to tell athletes when to retire... (even though Pang/Tong continuing makes Aliona look realistic in comparison).

micnow

Rinkside
the come back plan of Pang/Tong is the worst case for Wang Xuehan/Wang Lei (for which international competitions they will be assigned?). That would mean the (international) season is already over for W/W.

yqs100

On the Ice
the come back plan of Pang/Tong is the worst case for Wang Xuehan/Wang Lei (for which international competitions they will be assigned?). That would mean the (international) season is already over for W/W.

W/W won't go to WC anyway.

looks like

IF P/T come back

4CC: P/T, S/H, W/W
WC: P/T, S/H, P/Z

IF P/T STAY AWAY

4CC: S/H, W/W, W/Z
WC: S/H, P/Z, Y/J

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have mixed feelings. In some ways I believe in the adage the more competition the better. The athletes should decide when they retire. It's a free world; do as you want. And I suppose I can live by that but for a gutteral feeling, totally poticially improper, I hope they don't come back or don't succeed. It isn't nice or fair, but P and T seem to have been around on the competitive scene for a long long time andthere are somany other Chinese teams that are wonderful. Yes, we can use the adage let the best team win but we all know in skating their are other alleged issues in judging and such. I wonder if the problem or challenge with skaters letting their yes be yes and their no mean no in respect to retiring is that there isn't nearly the skating shows and pro competitions to make a living? Perhaps the lure of another world title or olympic gold? I do think they could medal maybe even gold at world's but they easily could be off the podium. And finishing fourth is probably the most painful position other than not making the freeskate.

BlackPack

Medalist
I wonder what else would they do if they didn't compete. After all, they aren't the most popular pairs skaters and probably don't get invited to the most lucrative shows internationally, despite their many accomplishments. They should have won the bronze in Sochi with only one small error in their LP. It seems they don't have the support from the judges.

ChristineChew

Rinkside
I wonder what else would they do if they didn't compete. After all, they aren't the most popular pairs skaters and probably don't get invited to the most lucrative shows internationally, despite their many accomplishments. They should have won the bronze in Sochi with only one small error in their LP. It seems they don't have the support from the judges.

It's not how things work in China.
Making a living is in no ways a problem for them in China. They can be national team coaches any time they want, and they can have a skating club in China any time they want. It seems that Artistry on Ice (Chinese ice show) has invited them many times but things go interesting here that two sides never reach an agreement with reasons that we don't know.
At least for figure skating athletes, finance is not a problem for Chinese skaters possibly due to their really poor resources. It's nice for Chinese skaters.
Totally agree that athletes should decide when they retire, but the fault is from the select mechanism for Chinese team. They never need competitions to decide their qualifications.Just like now, they even don't need a test to get 4CC and WC positions. As long as P/T are there, they are the no.1 for Chinese team, and younger teams will never get a chance. Clearly they are the best now, but how will younger teams feel?They are denied even without a try.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not so sure P and T are the best right now. There are two other teams that may have surpassed P and T - a lot depends on whether P and T can land their individual jumps and or how healthy they are.

BlackPack

Medalist
It's not how things work in China.
Making a living is in no ways a problem for them in China. They can be national team coaches any time they want, and they can have a skating club in China any time they want. It seems that Artistry on Ice (Chinese ice show) has invited them many times but things go interesting here that two sides never reach an agreement with reasons that we don't know.
At least for figure skating athletes, finance is not a problem for Chinese skaters possibly due to their really poor resources. It's nice for Chinese skaters.
Totally agree that athletes should decide when they retire, but the fault is from the select mechanism for Chinese team. They never need competitions to decide their qualifications.Just like now, they even don't need a test to get 4CC and WC positions. As long as P/T are there, they are the no.1 for Chinese team, and younger teams will never get a chance. Clearly they are the best now, but how will younger teams feel?They are denied even without a try.

Except coaching isn't every skater's calling. Some skaters simply love the adrenaline of competing.

I don't think P&T have want for anything, but I'm simply talking about how they would want to spend their time. It doesn't seem that skating in shows or coaching is their highest calling right now.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I seem to get the sense that Pang/Tong are quite popular and could make a living doing shows should they want to? :think:

They've only been gone a year. At last year's GPF, they were beaten by only V/T and S/S--one team that may not go to Worlds due to injury, and another team that have split/retired. I agree that having everyone (not just P/T, but also S/H and P/Z) at Nationals is probably the best idea--not just in terms of placements, but just to see what condition they're all in. But it's reasonable, in this particular year/situation, to let P/T come back if they want to.

If they want to continue another four years :)drama:), yes, they should show up at more than 4CC and Worlds. But the Fed isn't completely stupid (I hope). If P/T end up behind S/H and P/Z at the big events, surely they'll give Y/J and W/W a chance in the future? But if none of the teams can get past an aging P/T... well, they sadly have no one to blame but themselves.

yqs100

On the Ice
Confirmed. P/T will be in 4CC in Feb and WC in Mar

SP -Tango
LP - Lo Ci Saro

s_parks

Record Breaker
I hate to say this, since skaters should decide their own careers, but... how selfish. I feel bad for Y/J and W/W.

yqs100

On the Ice
I hate to say this, since skaters should decide their own careers, but... how selfish. I feel bad for Y/J and W/W.

Dunno understand how it relates to SELFISH....

they decided to compete for the WC, mainly because their body condition can take it, and it is the FIRST time WC held in China.

Im sure China Fed would be happy too, at least looks like they can guarantee a medal at home

bluebell0710

Rinkside
As a P/T fan, so excited to see this confirmation. At first when Trankov said this, we don't believe it. All of us would say "don't think of coming back. Have a baby soon!"
But when we see the report http://mp.weixin.qq.com/s?__biz=MzA...&idx=1&sn=4b0109c3e84904396d2c54b0f53a7523#rd, we can't help of crying for their come back.
They just want to end their career in Shanghai, in China, in the hometown. It is a rare opportunity for the atheletes to compete in the hometown. And from the report above, they just made the decision to compete on Jan, 11.
From our fans perspective, we just want to have two more great programs from P/T. And we can see them in gala of the worlds anyway. no matter what the final result is, we always love them:love:

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
So if I'm understanding this correctly... :scratch:

4CC team: Peng/Zhang, Sui/Han, Pang/Tong
Worlds team: Peng/Zhang, Sui/Han, Pang/Tong
Universiade: Yu/Jin, Wang/Wang (he's not too old for it, is he?)

If Pang/Tong are healthy and want to go to Worlds in Shanghai, more power to them. Maybe they want a third World title to match Shen/Zhao. But continuing 'til 2018 just seems :shocked: But hey, I defended Aliona, so who I am to tell athletes when to retire... (even though Pang/Tong continuing makes Aliona look realistic in comparison).

My face is like this :shocked: seriously wow

source: http://mp.weixin.qq.com/s?__biz=MzA...&idx=1&sn=4b0109c3e84904396d2c54b0f53a7523#rd
it seems that they just want to end their career in Shanghai.

Ah, this makes more sense. All the best to them.