Pang and Tong Making a Comeback?!? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Pang and Tong Making a Comeback?!?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
In the article, Pang and Tong said that in their 15 seasons, they never competed in their hometown Shanghai. They hope their last dance will help Shanghai be selected for the 2022 Olympics.

While in Japan, skaters like Daisuke and Mao were surprised to learn of their plan because they were much older than these retired veterans. But everybody wished them good results at this Worlds.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
In the article, Pang and Tong said that in their 15 seasons, they never competed in their hometown Shanghai. They hope their last dance will help Shanghai be selected for the 2022 Olympics.

While in Japan, skaters like Daisuke and Mao were surprised to learn of their plan because they were much older than these retired veterans. But everybody wished them good results at this Worlds.

I think that's really sweet of them tbh. What better way to end your competitive career than on home ice? :rock: I wish them the very best both at WC and in their future together. :party:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
So... that's confirmation, then?

Not personally in favour of Shanghai for the 2022 Olympics, but I do wish Pang/Tong well. In fact, I want them to outright win Worlds. :rock: It's perfectly reasonable to want a final skate in your hometown. Maybe participating in the GP would've been better, to get their programs out in front of the judges. But I think they've earned the spot, after all their years of competing.

BlackPack

Medalist
Well, skaters almost always skate their very best in their hometowns. I would love to see P&T retire with a bang, since I don't think they got the reception they deserved in Sochi.

jimeonji

Final Flight
Beijing is the bidding city from China. ;)

As figure skating is certainly not the most popular sport in China, they want to compete in Shanghai and raise more attention for the sport and support for the 2022 Olympic bid. They're aiming for gold, as that is "every athlete's wish," says Tong.

Tatjana

On the Ice

Shanghai is not Pang/Tong's hometown. They are from Harbin and they have been living and training in Beijing for a few years now. :) Their wish to compete in the historic first World Figure Skating Championship in their homecountry is understandable. It's a good story too, most fans and media like that. There is one young team that will miss out on Worlds because of this, but if Pang/Tong are competitive (and I think this is what they want to prove at 4CC) why not let them compete. I wish them good luck.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I love P/T but I'm so sick of skaters skipping Nationals and then taking the spots of other skaters at Worlds or ISU championships (eg. Sotnikova might have done the same). It's really unfair to skaters who were prepared an earned their spots. I know injury is a circumstance but it's not like other teams who competed at Nationals were exempt from pressure.

That being said, I'd love for P/T to show up in Shanghai or even 4CC - I just wish they had competed at Nationals and legitimately earned those spots (and no, career achievements don't earn a place, in my books).

jimeonji

Final Flight
I love P/T but I'm so sick of skaters skipping Nationals and then taking the spots of other skaters at Worlds or ISU championships (eg. Sotnikova might have done the same). It's really unfair to skaters who were prepared an earned their spots. I know injury is a circumstance but it's not like other teams who competed at Nationals were exempt from pressure.

That being said, I'd love for P/T to show up in Shanghai or even 4CC - I just wish they had competed at Nationals and legitimately earned those spots (and no, career achievements don't earn a place, in my books).

The last time P/T competed at Nationals was in 2008. The last time S/Z competed at Nationals was in 2002. I think it's safe to say that Chinese Nationals really doesn't mean much if you're an established Chinese skater. Especially because CSA follows a points system with international competitions included to select the teams for ISU Championships - Nationals just becomes a lot less important for Chinese skaters.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Sorry for some misinterpretations in my haste to bring the zest of P/T's decision and interview to GS. They actually said they never competed at their own front door. As well, they hope their last dance in WC in Shanghai will help promote the winning of site selection of 2022 Olympics.

If I find some time, I may try to translate the whole article. With more thorough and careful reading, of course. Unless someone else does it before I do.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
My opinion about is just: :shocked:. Like what has happened? I'm not sure if they can win a medal or finish well... However, if they are trying it, I will root for them. I felt sorry for them when they was fourth in Sochi and I hope they will amaze us with their performances. :)

noidont

Final Flight
I think a lot of it is probably political. P/T and S/Z are reportedly not friends, reason why they never do artistry on ice, the S/Z show. A lot of what P/T are doing look to me that they want to trump or at least come close to S/Z's achievements somehow. While they are taking away a spot from Y/J and W/W, it's unlikely these two teams are going to medal at Worlds. Medals are what the Chinese fed care about, especially at a home worlds. A home worlds gold would take P/T a little closer to S/Z's status in China, perhaps, and help them along the way politically.

Lota

Record Breaker
Geh, I'm really torn :frown: On the one hand, I really love Pang/Tong, so seeing them again will be nice, but on the other hand I have a found a new love with Yu/Jin and I find their LP this season simply incredible... I think I'm more sad for Y/J than happy for P/T to be honest... :cry:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I adore them but I'm also sad for the other Chinese pairs who cannot go, their reason for wanting to end it in China is obviously very symbolic to them and if it's what the Chinese fed decides then I can only cheer them on.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
As a P/T fan, so excited to see this confirmation. At first when Trankov said this, we don't believe it. All of us would say "don't think of coming back. Have a baby soon!"
But when we see the report http://mp.weixin.qq.com/s?__biz=MzA...&idx=1&sn=4b0109c3e84904396d2c54b0f53a7523#rd, we can't help of crying for their come back.
They just want to end their career in Shanghai, in China, in the hometown. It is a rare opportunity for the atheletes to compete in the hometown. And from the report above, they just made the decision to compete on Jan, 11.
From our fans perspective, we just want to have two more great programs from P/T. And we can see them in gala of the worlds anyway. no matter what the final result is, we always love them:love:

I know in life it is all about "me" and what "me" wants. And there are some great P/T fans but really Jan 11 decide to come back and because the Chinese Federation selects very differently it affects the lives of so many who really can't even fight back because there is no skate off. I know there are so many great teams but if they get to skate I really hope teams like K and S who have been kind of unlucky and no world title or Duhamel and Radford or S and K or one of the other Chinese teams - well that they have break through's and podium. Especially K and S; P and T are lucky to have olympic medals already and a world title. IN fairness to P and T though they may be friends with S and Z they probably weren't really overthrilled with their comeback in 2010 and S and Z winning OGM over P and T who won the freeskate. Still it is almost like teams overstaying their welcome affect the natural progression lol (I know the argument will be made the other teams obviously weren't good enough etc).