Fantasy (Un)retirement | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Fantasy (Un)retirement

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So the OP says that I get magical powers :yay: but can only choose one skater.....then I choose Sasha Cohen.

Last edited:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I'd sure love to see Yuna come back with her competitive fire from 2008-2010 seasons and skating skills in 2012-2014 seasons ;)

aa456

On the Ice
I'd sure love to see Yuna come back with her competitive fire from 2008-2010 seasons and skating skills in 2012-2014 seasons ;)

Yes!! My heart still foolishly hopes for Yuna to come back.. but only if she truly wanted to.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Most of my favorite skaters left a great legacy and career in figure skating, so if I only have a magic power to bring only one back to the current

My pick is Tatsuki Machida because as a late boomer, he still could perform great.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Torn between Michelle Kwan and Shen/Zhao.

Seconding Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze as well. Did the 2002 scandal drive them out of competition or were they planning to retire after 2002 anyway?

They were not planning on retiring. After the gold it could have gone either ways of course, since it is always difficult to stay motivated. But the scandal broke them and there was no way they would skate after that. The Canadians had planned to retire anyways i think

QuadThrow

Medalist
I would like to see together ilinikh/katsalapov again... if they had not split they would have been the clear favourits for 2018

besides:

machida
Yuna
Drobiazko/Vanagas
S/S

QuadThrow

Medalist
I am super excited for Savchenko/Massot actually!!

I wish them them the best, but i am not that optimistic.

i am sure that they will perform great and new elements but Bruno does not fit as perfect as robin did. Robin´s nice skating skills and calm character matched with aljona.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Choosing one skater is not fun.

Alexander Abt, Joubidoo, Yags, Janet Lynn using a time machine from the 1970s, Cecilia Colledge (also with the aid of a time machine), Lu Chen, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze.

Kurt browning

I would like to see him compete a COP program
Here you go :)

nguyhm

On the Ice
Natalia Mishkutenok from Mishkutenok and Dmitriev. Artur went on but it never was as good as M&D. The magic was lost.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I probably ought to explain my own as OP... ;-)

I see people charitably giving skaters another chance as their careers were cut short by injury or they never reached early potential etc. Others are looking back in time curious as to how certain skaters would fare now.

However, I am just going to be very selfish and choose a recent retiree already mentioned just because I adore him and would give anything to magically give him another few years of skating at his top form (and with the will to do so of course) and without injury: Daisuke Takahashi. He just left me breathless when I watched him and mesmerised by the intensity of his art. For feeling and enhancing every beat of the music, he was untouchable. It would be worth expending my magic just to see one more glorious step sequence.

Pika

Final Flight
However, I am just going to be very selfish and choose a recent retiree already mentioned just because I adore him and would give anything to magically give him another few years of skating at his top form (and with the will to do so of course) and without injury: Daisuke Takahashi. He just left me breathless when I watched him and mesmerised by the intensity of his art. For feeling and enhancing every beat of the music, he was untouchable. It would be worth expending my magic just to see one more glorious step sequence.

I couldn't agree more.
I already miss recent retirees, Kim, Asada, Suzuki, Joubert and OF COURSE Takahashi :cry:

ioanna

Record Breaker
My fantasy unretirements would be 4 skaters who I think could have been greater than they were.

Daisuke Takahashi - he does have an Olympic medal, he is a World Champion but I feel like compared to the skaters of his generation (Lambiel, Joubert, Lysacek) he could have had a lot more and his talent deserved a lot more. So in my fantasy he'd come back with a healthy knee and his artistic peak (which in reality happened after Vancouver) would coincide with his technical peak (which happened before Vancouver).

Akiko Suzuki - another extremely talented skater who deserved at least another World medal, it's really a shame she only came into her own in the last 3 or 4 years of her career because she could have offered many other memorable programs and performances.

Nobunari Oda - can still land 4T-3T in his exhibitions and I think that World medal could have happened.

Tatsuki Machida - probably the skater who could use a fantasy unretirement because he left a lot of unfinished things and can realistically pick up where he left off.

Of course I'd love to have many other skaters back like Mao, Yuna, Carolina, Stephane but they have mostly accomplished all there was to accomplish and they have all found happiness in their retirements so knowing that I wouldn't want them back.