Jackson Artiste or Jackson Elle Fusion? | Golden Skate

Jackson Artiste or Jackson Elle Fusion?

esthex_iceskating

Spectator
Hi to everyone. About three years ago, my school organised a field trip to ice skating, which was a lot of fun. Since then, I've developed a strong enthusiasm for ice skating, but the problem is that I live in a hot country where ice skating isn't as common as it is in other countries with milder climates. I've been considering getting some ice skates since I recently moved to an area where ice skating is much more common. I've devoted a lot of time to researching various ice skating brands on the internet to find affordable, well-made skates. I'm a newbie so I won't be doing much more than skating and simple jumps. The "Jackson Artiste" or the "Jackson Elle Fusion" are my options. I'm having trouble with which one is better, so if you could suggest to me which one is better or another pair of ice skates, that would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hi and welcome! Unfortunately, if you're adult-sized, neither of those are going to have enough support for you and it will be dangerous for you to skate in them.

There are people on this forum who can advise you about the boot brands and models that are right for your foot shape and level if you provide this information:
  • your height
  • your weight
  • your foot shape (see here)
  • whether you have high, flat, or moderate arches
But it's very important to get properly fitted for boots. If you let us know what area of the world you're in, people will be able to help you figure out your options.

Also please start lessons soon if possible! Self-teaching can lead to bad habits that take a long time to fix, as well as injury.

Good luck with your skating! Starting out for the first time is very exciting!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi and welcome! Unfortunately, if you're adult-sized, neither of those are going to have enough support for you and it will be dangerous for you to skate in them.

There are people on this forum who can advise you about the boot brands and models that are right for your foot shape and level if you provide this information:
  • your height
  • your weight
  • your foot shape (see here)
  • whether you have high, flat, or moderate arches
But it's very important to get properly fitted for boots. If you let us know what area of the world you're in, people will be able to help you figure out your options.

Also please start lessons soon if possible! Self-teaching can lead to bad habits that take a long time to fix, as well as injury.

Good luck with your skating! Starting out for the first time is very exciting!
Thank you for saying that for me word for word so I don't have to do the usual "repeat myself" 😂 :thank:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi to everyone. About three years ago, my school organised a field trip to ice skating, which was a lot of fun. Since then, I've developed a strong enthusiasm for ice skating, but the problem is that I live in a hot country where ice skating isn't as common as it is in other countries with milder climates. I've been considering getting some ice skates since I recently moved to an area where ice skating is much more common. I've devoted a lot of time to researching various ice skating brands on the internet to find affordable, well-made skates. I'm a newbie so I won't be doing much more than skating and simple jumps. The "Jackson Artiste" or the "Jackson Elle Fusion" are my options. I'm having trouble with which one is better, so if you could suggest to me which one is better or another pair of ice skates, that would be appreciated. Thank you!
Please make sure to get a coach and do not attempt jumps without learning properly from one and the skills that build up to them.

I'll need more info about your height/weight/feet etc to help you with brands and styles, the ones you have chosen are not going to work for anyone over childrens age.

Good luck! :)

victoria7988

Spectator
Without age, height, and weight it can be hard to recommend a skate. The "skate tech" at my rink is putting adult skaters in the Mystiques and it makes me CRINGE! One of her students, a 6-foot male, is doing flips and lutzes in Atiste's and it honestly terrifies me! He's falling a lot as his boot is simply just folding over as he lands these jumps. The Artises are not made for adults and shouldn't even be offered in adult-sizes IMO. Since I don't have more information on you as a skater...I am just giving insight on the skate itself. No adult should be wearing or jumping in the Artiste boot.

silverlily1

On the Ice
Without age, height, and weight it can be hard to recommend a skate. The "skate tech" at my rink is putting adult skaters in the Mystiques and it makes me CRINGE! One of her students, a 6-foot male, is doing flips and lutzes in Atiste's and it honestly terrifies me! He's falling a lot as his boot is simply just folding over as he lands these jumps. The Artises are not made for adults and shouldn't even be offered in adult-sizes IMO. Since I don't have more information on you as a skater...I am just giving insight on the skate itself. No adult should be wearing or jumping in the Artiste boot.
Artistes are how I broke my ankle ten years ago doing a flip...or was it a toe loop? Either way. I refused to get back on the ice again until I could buy actual decent skates last year. I would agree to never recommend them to any adult (or adult-sized person) who actually wants to learn to skate.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You need even more than those three stats to recommend a skate plus experience.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Once again I find myself thinking some of you guys are very lucky and don't seem to realize it. I cannot find a coach for adults in my area. I am not learning jumps though, I wouldn't self-teach me those. But for many people self teaching with the help of videos is the only option if they want to ice skate/ improve their skills at all.
Also, I have been fitted by a professional fitter into boots that you guys here regularly state should not be sold to adults - well.

silverlily1

On the Ice
Once again I find myself thinking some of you guys are very lucky and don't seem to realize it. I cannot find a coach for adults in my area. I am not learning jumps though, I wouldn't self-teach me those. But for many people self teaching with the help of videos is the only option if they want to ice skate/ improve their skills at all.
Also, I have been fitted by a professional fitter into boots that you guys here regularly state should not be sold to adults - well.
I've been to multiple clubs before I found one that would actually train me, but found the right head coach. I am still working on unlearning some of the bad habits learned during that year of neglect. Keep searching. All you need is ice time and a coach.

Fitted properly to your foot? Great. But if the boots aren't sufficient for your weight, height, feet, and skill level, then you're going to hurt yourself in them, it's only a matter of time. And a professional should know better. I once had to explain to a professional fitter over the phone that someone my size at my skill level shouldn't be just now buying the boots they were recommending AS PER THE MANUFACTURER, as they were rated for singles for my weight and I only have one single jump left that I'm already landing and intend to continue forward. I therefore didn't trust them to make a good recommendation (especially after visiting them in person and seeing what they were like). I'm extra gun-shy after being injured by too-weak skates. I went elsewhere to get a recommendation I could actually trust.

Not all fitters are equal.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I've been to multiple clubs before I found one that would actually train me, but found the right head coach. I am still working on unlearning some of the bad habits learned during that year of neglect. Keep searching. All you need is ice time and a coach.

Fitted properly to your foot? Great. But if the boots aren't sufficient for your weight, height, feet, and skill level, then you're going to hurt yourself in them, it's only a matter of time. And a professional should know better. I once had to explain to a professional fitter over the phone that someone my size at my skill level shouldn't be just now buying the boots they were recommending AS PER THE MANUFACTURER, as they were rated for singles for my weight and I only have one single jump left that I'm already landing and intend to continue forward. I therefore didn't trust them to make a good recommendation (especially after visiting them in person and seeing what they were like). I'm extra gun-shy after being injured by too-weak skates. I went elsewhere to get a recommendation I could actually trust.

Great posts and I'd like to add that training with 2 coaches (one who is my main and private coach and the other for group sessions, edge working etc) and having a close relationship with them that we talk a lot about everything, nothing makes them more frustrated and upset as coaches than getting a skater who instead of improving, needs to spend countless time getting rid of as you said bad habits and unproper technique that he/she learned by not having a coach and only skating by watching videos. There's a guy who always goes to the rink, no coach. teaches himself by either watching videos or observing us skaters who do have coaches , unfortunately so full of bad habits that when he finally decided to consult the head coach to have sessions (who happens to be my coach), she told him she'd have to start from simple swizzles (basically beginner sessions) to attempt to get him to stop his bad technique skating and have a new good start in the right direction. He was teaching himself ina bauers, hydroblades, spread eagles, jumps and other cool skills spending zero time with basic skating skills, and he didn't like the apparent "downgrade" to his skating, wasn't able to understand why it was important. So he's still there, wrong edges, scratching his toe picks in everything he does, etc he's such a nice guy but thinks he can improve without coaching... oh well... to each his/her own, you can't convince someone to get proper help/guidance if they refuse to do so.

icewhite

Record Breaker

The point is there is no coach here. Not for adults. Next one is several hours away. Private ice time also basically doesn't exist. I can go to public hours which are usually very crowded except if I get lucky or on hot days in autumn. That's what I mean. You don't realize how lucky you are and that some people only have the option between bad conditions and not skating at all.
The fitter is supposed to be one of the best (and only ones) in the country and was recommended to me.

venussla

Spectator
Do you think as a beginner 23 years old woman who is 50 kg and 165 cm could fit in? I dont want to jump but i want to learn basics and so on. Can i use them as a adult? I mean Jackson artiste.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Do you think as a beginner 23 years old woman who is 50 kg and 165 cm could fit in? I dont want to jump but i want to learn basics and so on. Can i use them as a adult? I mean Jackson artiste.
No. Not stiff enough.You'd need more like the Jackson freestyle if jackson is even right for your foot type.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
No, they aren't stiff enough and won't give you enough support even for learning edges. You'd find basic outside edges scary without the ankle support, "like leaning sideways over the edge of a cliff" as an adult beginner in too-soft boots once colourfully described it to me.