2015 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic SLC General | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2015 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic SLC General

Layback11

Record Breaker
Her nickname is Satton. According to the WTT interview. ;)

Because we love her and nicknames (in this context) are a fun expression of affection. She has risen to a level where she is in our consciousness enough that some may feel a name that is uniquely hers has been earned. I am sure there are many ladies named Satako in Japan - sometimes there comes a time in a celebs life when she should become a Cher or a Madonna or other one word identity that is uniquely identifiable as them.

:thumbsup:

Couldn't have said it better. :agree:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Because we love her and nicknames (in this context) are a fun expression of affection. She has risen to a level where she is in our consciousness enough that some may feel a name that is uniquely hers has been earned. I am sure there are many ladies named Satako in Japan - sometimes there comes a time in a celebs life when she should become a Cher or a Madonna or other one word identity that is uniquely identifiable as them.

For the record: My question re Satoko was not meant to imply that she is not deserving of affection. Of course she is deserving of affection.
I myself am a fan of Satoko, and I will continue to enjoy cheering for her -- with or without her nickname. (Thanks to Newbie and Meoima for posting it.)

Not trying to argue, but I think Mariah is a great example of someone who receives a ton of affection on GS (and who deserves it as well).
And I don't think the lack of a nickname for her diminishes the affection that Mariah receives.

I am a fan also of Polina and Vivian.
And I do not need nicknames for them either in order to enjoy cheering for them. YMMV.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
For the record: My question re Satoko was not meant to imply that she is not deserving of affection. Of course she is deserving of affection.
I myself am a fan of Satoko, and I will continue to enjoy cheering for her -- with or without her nickname. (Thanks to Newbie and Meoima for posting it.)

Not trying to argue, but I think Mariah is a great example of someone who receives a ton of affection on GS (and who deserves it as well).
And I don't think the lack of a nickname for her diminishes the affection that Mariah receives.

I am a fan also of Polina and Vivian.
And I do not need nicknames for them either in order to enjoy cheering for them. YMMV.

While I enjoy Polina, Vivian, and Mariah, I think that Satako as the reigning world silver medalist puts her in a bit of a different league than the others. In someways I see a nickname as an honor that Satako has done more to earn than the others.

That being said... I can't say I would have any objections to Polina Vivian (who we often already call Viv so she is on the path to nickname) Mariah having or getting nicknames. No one needs a nickname to enjoy them, but no skaters *needs* banners in the audience either and we still do that to show love and support. Really a nickname (again in this context, I will happily acknowledge that can be intended to be insulting) is not that far from a banner. Really I would lean more to giving them all nicknames than giving no one nicknames.

That being said... I hope you know that I would not be responding to you if i did not respect you.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Whenever I type wakababy I felt I was surrounded by cuteness:eek:::p :yes: Also, I saw that Wakaba actually had a private Ins account named Wakaba_baby before (or something like that, I may be wrong).
I use Viv as well. Viv for the win:biggrin::cheer:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
While I enjoy Polina, Vivian, and Mariah, I think that Satako as the reigning world silver medalist puts her in a bit of a different league than the others. In someways I see a nickname as an honor that Satako has done more to earn than the others.

That being said... I can't say I would have any objections to Polina Vivian (who we often already call Viv so she is on the path to nickname) Mariah having or getting nicknames. No one needs a nickname to enjoy them, but no skaters *needs* banners in the audience either and we still do that to show love and support. Really a nickname (again in this context, I will happily acknowledge that can be intended to be insulting) is not that far from a banner. Really I would lean more to giving them all nicknames than giving no one nicknames.

That being said... I hope you know that I would not be responding to you if i did not respect you.

Do you guys remember Hanee's (again a nickname for Han Yan from his adoring fans) naked Q-version banner made by fans (since his costumes was not ready at the time, so fans made a naked Q Hanee with his signature move from the program). My fav banner ever for Hanee.:p

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
The name Wakababy is very irritating to read over and over, at least for me. I am indifferent toward her and nicknames in general - just don't like that one. "Wakabomb" passed through my head as I watched her at the last JGP, but I don't guess that one will take off. :slink:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
The name Wakababy is very irritating to read over and over, at least for me. I am indifferent toward her and nicknames in general - just don't like that one. "Wakabomb" passed through my head as I watched her at the last JGP, but I don't guess that one will take off. :slink:

How about Wakadabomb - so we know it is a positive thing!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^You of course can use whatever name or nickname you come up with skaters, but nicknames are usually reserved for fans with love.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
The name Wakababy is very irritating to read over and over, at least for me.
It seems inappropriate anyway - she's no baby! And it's not even easier to type than her actual name, Wakaba.

In any case, I can't imagine calling her "Wakababy" to her face: it would feel foolish, patronising, and she might be offended at the implication that she or her skating is somehow "babyish". Personally, if I couldn't say it to her face, I wouldn't use it anywhere else either...

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Zijun had a nickname in Chinese, translated into English literally is "Jun baby". It is an affectionate way to call a beloved one from the local dialect where Zijun originally came from.
So in this case, Baby has no implication that Zijun's skating is babyish or anything like that. Just fan's affection. Zijun know that as well and would never mind been called like that.
Btw, skaters' nick name usually evolve along with their career. e.g. Sui's Chinese nickname has evolved from little sis Sui to Boss Sui now.
I guess Wakaba's nickname will perhaps evolve too, for now I will just use Wakababy, it is kinda long for my typing skills but it feels cuuuteee.:p:eek::

Last edited:

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Just got a chance to watch Alexi's skate. I knew my Bumbleferret was something special last year! :cheer: It helps soothe the pain of Shoma.

Best of luck to all the skaters today. My turn to make dinner, so I won't get to watch the pairs. :cry:

And the stream is up.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... That being said... I hope you know that I would not be responding to you if i did not respect you.

Ditto :).

I was under the impression that Wakababy was a nickname that she embraces herself?
But sometimes I see posts on GS that give other skaters nicknames that are not my cup of tea (although I suppose that they are intended to be affectionate). That is why nicknames that do not arise organically or do not originate from the skater her-/himself seem unnecessary to me. YMMV.

And I do not share the inclination to impose a unique nickname on someone as if it were a type of "honor."
Charlie is a super-common name, but World and Olympic champion Charlie White has never had a unique nickname, AFAIK.
If anything, I would say that we on GS "honor" Charlie White by simply calling him by his own first name. He is so well-liked and respected that "Charlie" by itself is generally understood to mean Charlie White (unless the context clearly indicates otherwise).

(As for Vivian, I had not noticed references to her on GS as Viv, and I do keep an eye out for stuff about her. Anyway, her Instagram account is viviskates, so perhaps another nickname is more familiar to her and her friends in real life.)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
It seems inappropriate anyway - she's no baby! And it's not even easier to type than her actual name, Wakaba.

In any case, I can't imagine calling her "Wakababy" to her face: it would feel foolish, patronising, and she might be offended at the implication that she or her skating is somehow "babyish". Personally, if I couldn't say it to her face, I wouldn't use it anywhere else either...

Exactly...you articulated it much better than I did. :) I hope it will evolve soon..."Wakadabomb" isn't so bad!

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
I wonder if the Israeli ie daners will surprise us like the men did.

And it seems my third alphalbet letter isn't working

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Charlie is a nickname; his actual name is Charles :)

WHAT??? BREAKING NEWS!!! :laugh2: :rofl:

Yes, I was and am well aware that Charlie is a nickname for Charles.
I made a point above of referring to the concept of a "unique nickname" -- because Stitch was saying that a "unique nickname" would distinguish the World silver medalist in figure skating from any other young ladies in the world named Satoko.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
According to my experience, fans have given skaters all sorts of nicknames around the world. Some may seems a little weird or even insulting at times to fans who dont know the origin or connotation of that nickname. such as Yuna's Chinese nickname "Salty Swan" or "Swan" for short. Only Yuna's most dedicated fans use that name. generally people just refer Yuna as "Queen". So if you dont know the background of that name, for example, to Yuna's korean fans, it may seems a little bit weird. But it is a loving nickname for Yuna Queen.
Also, I think that whatever nickname fans used for skaters on forums, actually never will affect skaters in any way. as long as those names are not, straightforward insult.
I use Radio for Radionova, this is a nickname of love (for me) just like lena.
I also like the newly minted #slaythan.
Nicknames so much fun added into figure skating fandom.:biggrin:
EDIT: actually "goose" is a more accurate English translation of Yuna's Chinese nickname connotation:biggrin:
BTW, Kovtun's nickname has evolved from "Crown prince" to "grandson" now.:biggrin:

Last edited:

charmblade

Final Flight
I liked Thomas/Eaton. They seem to have a good connection and look pretty good for their first year together. (Disclaimer: I know practically nothing about the technical aspects of dance, so all my comments from this competition will be on performance/costumes/personal preferences lol)