2024 World Championships Women's Free Skate | Page 60 | Golden Skate

2024 World Championships Women's Free Skate

SXTN

Final Flight
I don't get the strategy behind Amber's jump layout. Leaving the usual pops and mistakes aside, she never does three combinations. That first 3Lo was excellent, so why didn't she attach the two 2A's there? Is it really about collecting tenths of bonus points for her at this stage? Ava Marie Ziegler doesn't even have a 3-3 in the free (let alone a 3A) and does all three combos in the first half but scored way above 70 in TES at NHK.

Last edited:

Skating91

Medalist
I don't get the strategy behind Amber's jump layout. Leaving the usual pops and mistakes aside, she never does three combinations. That first 3Lo was excellent, so why didn't she attach the two 2A's there? Is it really about collecting tenth of bonus points for her at this stage? Ava Marie Ziegler doesn't even have a 3-3 in the free (let alone a 3A) and does all three combos in the first half but scored way above 70 in TES at NHK.
I don't think she had the endurance either. She looked different than usual maybe she's not 100% or maybe the cut was too extreme. I know they all try to cut to be at optimum for the biggest event of the year, maybe got it a little wrong.

Skating91

Medalist
Watching Levito after Sakamoto was quite jarring, but to be fair this is the case with most skaters side by side with the ISU GOAT. But the contrast was quite shocking.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I don't think she had the endurance either. She looked different than usual maybe she's not 100% or maybe the cut was too extreme. I know they all try to cut to be at optimum for the biggest event of the year, maybe got it a little wrong.
I think on social media Amber herself admitted that it's mental with her and she will try to figure it out, so we can leave out endurance as a factor. She did clean run throughs during the practices so she was physically ready. She looks to be in the best shape of her life so she's definitely putting in all the work.

Last edited:

SXTN

Final Flight
Kimmy Repond had the skate of the night for me. Her jumps looked improved. She attacks them with great speed, she has very straight and tight air positions and clear landings. People have to understand that tall skaters with long (and thin) legs are usually not the highest jumpers.

Last edited:

Skating91

Medalist
By the way how did Levito endup with 70 Pcs compared to Chaeyeon 63? That's robbery no?
I'd either have Kim at 70 if Levito is getting 70, if Kim is getting 63 then Levito should be 63. They always low ball Kim.

Kaiser and Gubanova are quite slow across the ice much like Levito, but they are beautiful skaters and their programs flow, whereas Levito who is a beautiful skater but it's so disjointed she has no speed exiting the jumps and the combos are almost at a standstill. Gubanova also has trouble with rotating landings like Levito but dinged 4 times while Levito just the once (Levito had 4 landings that Gubanova would get a q for). Plus Levito gets strong GOE on slow jumps with cheated landings. However Levito gets 70 for PCS, Gubanova 60, Kaiser 58.

Levito did well to stay on her feet and complete the program without major errors, but did a lot of skaters.

Skating91

Medalist
Hip injury
I just hate to see a skater feel forced/compelled to go out there with an injury especially a joint injury like that. I thought the sport had moved past this kind of thing. She had clearly aggravated the injury as she came off the ice. It was clear in the short program with how laboured the jumps were (the judges ignored the cheated landing on 2 of the 3 jump elements so her 77 did not represent reality), it was going an almost impossible task in the free skate. Unfortunately for her it went as how I predicted.

A damaged hip at age 24 this might be the end for her.

thatdarncat

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Great end to the women's event, with 3 clean skates on the podium.

Kaori just class and confidence.

Love Isabeau she is so elegant

Great skate from Kim a new skater for me.

So great skates lower down with Ripond getting to 5th, really hope the young European skaters can keep developing and create some depth and competition in Europe.

Sackie

Medalist
Did Maddie change around her jump layout.? Cause there is no way she could have planned two 3S cause one would have to be in combo and she had already done 3 combos before the attempted 2nd salchow.

Aklaus

Rinkside
I guess 90 % of the people participationg in this forum need Wikipedia in order to know who Sjoukje Dijkstra and Peggy Fleming are.
Okm it was another system with school figures counting 50 % of the judgment. Today skating seems to be so much harder.
But this makes it even more valuble what Kaori achieved. So she created a historical moment.

Loana managed to win Europeans this year and this was historical too. Unfortunately she ist often suffering with her nerves.
She can be proud of her magical and powerful short program.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess 90 % of the people participationg in this forum need Wikipedia in order to know who Sjoukje Dijkstra and Peggy Fleming are.
Okm it was another system with school figures counting 50 % of the judgment. Today skating seems to be so much harder.
But this makes it even more valuble what Kaori achieved. So she created a historical moment.

Loana managed to win Europeans this year and this was historical too. Unfortunately she ist often suffering with her nerves.
She can be proud of her magical and powerful short program.
Ask those skaters from yesteryear how much easier it was doing those school figures. Most would gladly have done free skating and left the school figures behind.

meem

On the Ice
It would be nice if NBC shows a bit of this chorus singing some of the national anthems when they do the recap.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Did Maddie change around her jump layout.? Cause there is no way she could have planned two 3S cause one would have to be in combo and she had already done 3 combos before the attempted 2nd salchow.
She did an interview about fiddling with both programs to improve her TES for Worlds. Her jump layout in the planned program content did change from 4CC.

4CC - 3Lz + 3T, 3F, 3S, 3Lo+2T+2Lo, 2A+3T, 3Lo, 2A
WC - 3Lz + 3T, 3F, 3S, 3Lo+2T+2Lo, 2A+2T+2A, 3Lo, 3T

At 4CC, the 3Lo was a solo jump in the first half and she did a backloaded 3S+2T+2T instead. I'm not sure what she was actually going for here with her combos at Worlds. The 4CC planned layout is the one she did at SCI where she got her SB (Nationals too, but it seemed to work for her up to then.)

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kaori came to win and she did. She had the most difficult layout and she attacked it. TBH, the rest of the field was kind of lackluster. Isabeau showed she is a strong competitor and a lovely, lyrical skater but she lacks the wow-power of Sakamoto (and when she is on, Hendricks).

TimSparkle

Rinkside
Hi! Will you please help me finding the number of entries for Worlds next year. These countries got more than one skater, is it correct:

JPN 3
USA 3
KOR 3
BEL 2
SUI 2

noskates

Record Breaker
Just finished watching the replay. I thought Isabeau looked really, really good. She's elegant and smooth. I do wonder about her jumping technique though. Amazingly she lands those jumps. Kaori is the whole package now. Her skate was remarkable. I do like Haein Lee and Young You. It was overall a good competition and fun to watch. I think the world needs to keep an eye on Kimmy Repond though - in a good way!!!