2024 World Championships Pairs Free Skate | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2024 World Championships Pairs Free Skate

readernick

Medalist
Just a question for those who saw the competition live, I, personally, usually find H/ K from Germany to be an interesting pairs team ( love their performance skills especially in the SP)but the judges never seem to get behind them. Are they slow? I'm asking because I think pairs judging is usually more accurate than other disciplines but I'm frequently a bit confused by H/ K scores.

mikeko666

Final Flight
the japanese deserve 2 more pts for skating skills over deanna. great skates by both pairs but i don't think the end result matches the actual quality of the skating we saw
At least in FS, M/K got the highest SK. In SP, the judges gave higher SK to DS/D, which is absurd. ISU simply wanted DS/D to win because this event is taking place in Monteal and maybe because they feel guilty for giving Bronze medal of the team event in Beijing to Russia.
I'm happy for Deanna though. I've been following her since she came back to competition.
I'm proud of Riku and Ryuichi. It's been a very difficult season for them, yet they managed to grab Silver with the highest score in FS.

Reactions: snd

GGFan

Record Breaker
I'm just so happy we have depth in pairs again! I'm not into competitions where only the top two teams skate well. I think the free is still hard for some pairs but we were cooking in the short. I think the speed overall is better across the field and I'm not having to close one eye through awkward moments nearly as much. I was legit worried about pairs and now I'm not.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
The Japanese team doctor will provide an update on RikuRyu sometime today, so I will keep you all updated on what they have to say. Hopefully everyone is healthy and Ryuichi has recovered fully. I can't imagine the roller coaster of emotions the team experienced, I'm sure they were thrilled to put out a good skate, disappointed to lose a title that was so close, and then to have the fear and worry about Ryuichi has to be a very difficult experience. I thought it was very sweet and admirable that the team was disappointed to be unable to congratulate Deanna and Max, and sent their coach Bruno to the press conference to do just that.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On another note, very sad that Riku and Ryuichi couldn't attend the medal ceremony. Health comes first obviously but it was very odd. I am happy to read that it as just a temporary moment and not an injury or something worse. I hope that they will be able to skate in the gala and perhaps receive their medal there in a formal manner.
I did not want to put this out into the universe at the time, but now that I know he is recovering I can. The way he collapsed at the end of the free skate, only to collapse again backstage gave me serious Sergei Grinkov vibes. A lot of prayers were said until I learned he was responding well. I think we underestimate the physical demands made on these guys. I'm so glad medical attention was prompt and that all is well. Bless you Riku & Ryuchi - I hope you can get your medals at the next medal ceremony.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Guys who are invested into crowning shenanigans - it took PATIENCE (because Deanna and Maxime were busy), but here are the blurry proofs Deanna wore the crown!
Now I can add to my travel resume: World Champion wore your crown :laugh:
But more seriously...that arena today was HOPPING for their skaters. I felt super fortunate I've decided to come.
View attachment 7774

View attachment 7775
And here's a video! I'm the happiest that I managed crown THE QUEEN :)

CelticRose22

Rinkside
I did not want to put this out into the universe at the time, but now that I know he is recovering I can. The way he collapsed at the end of the free skate, only to collapse again backstage gave me serious Sergei Grinkov vibes. A lot of prayers were said until I learned he was responding well. I think we underestimate the physical demands made on these guys. I'm so glad medical attention was prompt and that all is well. Bless you Riku & Ryuchi - I hope you can get your medals at the next medal ceremony.
I hope they are presented their medals in front of the crowd. With a different result they may have suspended the entire ceremony until another day but the crowd will understandably have wanted to see Deanna and Max get their medals.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
It was close and really. Neither of these teams would have gold if Russia was competing the last couple of years. I even think Tarasova and MOrozov could beat both of these two top teams.
Since the scoring change system (2018/19 season onwards), T/M outscored SD/D's score here in 5 out of 17 ISU competitions (29 %), M/K's in 7 out of 17 competitions (41 %), so theoretically yes, they'd have had the potential to win here, but they had higher chances of not winning or even not getting silver than they had of getting those placements. 😶

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope they are presented their medals in front of the crowd. With a different result they may have suspended the entire ceremony until another day but the crowd will understandably have wanted to see Deanna and Max get their medals.
It was the right decision. I like to see them get their medals maybe just before the ladies, dance or men ceremony would be nice if they are up to it.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
A big Congratulations to Deanna and Max, well deserved Gold Medal! To win in your home country makes it even more special for them.
Also Congrats to Riku/Ryuichi for winning Silver, it has been a tough season for them and glad to see them back on track. The Bronze medal winners Minerva and Nikita, a talented new team and they keep surprising me, well done!

A little disappointed for Sara and Niccolo. I was hoping for them to medal. Their SP was amazing and they did get the small Medal for that!

Over all this was the best Pairs competition I have seen in ages. Shout out to all of the hard working teams,
you were all fabulous! :cheer::cheer:

Sackie

Medalist
Congrats to Deanna and Max and to the CAN team for keeping 3 spots! Does this result for the USA team mean they only get one team at worlds next year? (Sorry if this has already been mentioned - have not read all posts!) ;-)

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
The team doctor says Ryuichi suffered from exercise-induced asthma, and that he is recovering well. He was given medicine last night, and was able to walk to his room and speak, but they will continue to monitor him to make sure he recovers fully. He was doing fine this morning.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
coming to you LIVE with the latest news! Rika & Riyuchi are fine. I am at breakfast right now near my hotel and they were directly behind me in line, waiting to get in. Chatting and checking their phones. She still has traces of glitter on her face!
Thank you, thank you for posting this update.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm really bemused by semi-conspiracy theories.:sneaky:

I like R&R, I was happy they won last year. Taking into account the SP *and* the LP, (which both count) they were the second best team. Deanna and Max deserved to win the gold, whether this comp was held in Canada, Japan, or the Vulcan homeward.

Holding the ceremony when they did was the right thing to do. I can't believe the officials did not consult with R&R's team beforehand.

I am so glad that Ryuichi appears recovered.:pray: