2024 World Championships Pairs Free Skate | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2024 World Championships Pairs Free Skate

slider11

Medalist
The Japanese team doctor will provide an update on RikuRyu sometime today, so I will keep you all updated on what they have to say. Hopefully everyone is healthy and Ryuichi has recovered fully. I can't imagine the roller coaster of emotions the team experienced, I'm sure they were thrilled to put out a good skate, disappointed to lose a title that was so close, and then to have the fear and worry about Ryuichi has to be a very difficult experience. I thought it was very sweet and admirable that the team was disappointed to be unable to congratulate Deanna and Max, and sent their coach Bruno to the press conference to do just that.
Good to hear. Ryuichi has always been the "strong" one, being happy and positive when Riku is so despondent at the end of a performance if things aren't perfect. Maybe this will give Riku a chance to reflect on her emotional role with the team and giving him some positivity.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I absolutely adored this pairs competition and I really loved the makeup of the podium as all 3 pairs were so deserving of their placement. My biggest sadness is that Italy did not achieve their goal of attaining 3 pairs slots for next season. I was really sad not to see Rebecca and Filippo have an opportunity to compete here. :(

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Deanna took the title being the oldest gold medal lady winner ever from a Finn, Ludowika Jakobsson (who in was originally German).
I believe her husband, Walter, retains the title of oldest ever gold medalist (unless I’m forgetting someone?). They won their last World title in 1923! I’ve seen video of their skating, and they epitomized “two skating as one.” Unlike the Austrians and the French, who were all about the tricks. Yes, that controversy raged in pairs skating even a hundred years ago.

From the distant past to the potential future: I thought I spotted Beau Callahan in the crowd congratulating Deanna and Max as they did their victory lap.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I don't remember the Guys and Dolls song! It sure does sound like SOMEBODY was copying.

Thanks, the clip I tried to add was from the original 1950 cast recording, with Robert Alda (Alan Alda's father) singing the Sky Masterson part. I didn't scroll far enough in Youtube to find this 1992 revival cast.

As well as singing in a stage version with my highschool boyfriend, my skating partner and I did an exhibition number to "Luck Be a Lady" from the same show. One of my favourite Broadway musicals.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I'm from Bavaria. Never ever have I met anyone who does bobsleighing, or ski jumping for that matter. Maybe you have to be from one if the smaller cities right next to the alps?🤬
There's a series of thrillers by David Young about a female police detective in East Berlin in the 1970s. The heroine frequently mentions her training in her teens as an elite ski jumper, and her regret that she wasn't able to compete in the Olympics because women weren't allowed. (It made it simpler for the author in that he didn't have to go into a lot of researched detail whenever she reminisced, just the flying feeling of down the hill and off the ramp.)

[Edit: Sorry, I tried to delete the little sweary-face, but no matter what I did the blinking line wouldn't move past it to do a delete :shrug:]

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I believe her husband, Walter, retains the title of oldest ever gold medalist (unless I’m forgetting someone?). They won their last World title in 1923! I’ve seen video of their skating, and they epitomized “two skating as one.” Unlike the Austrians and the French, who were all about the tricks. Yes, that controversy raged in pairs skating even a hundred years ago.

From the distant past to the potential future: I thought I spotted Beau Callahan in the crowd congratulating Deanna and Max as they did their victory lap.
Beau trains with Max, he coaches them

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I absolutely adored this pairs competition and I really loved the makeup of the podium as all 3 pairs were so deserving of their placement. My biggest sadness is that Italy did not achieve their goal of attaining 3 pairs slots for next season. I was really sad not to see Rebecca and Filippo have an opportunity to compete here. :(

No disrespect to American teams but Italy deserves 3 spots more. I was looking forward to seeing ... Rebecca & Filippo and then I noticed they're not on the start list. :(

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm impressed by how good lifts of Guignard/Fabbri are, the difference in height is negligible between them.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If he is as capable a coach as he is a pair skater, the future of Canadian pairs skating looks bright indeed
I have seen him coach the twist.. He loves coaching the twist ;) (it was with Emy and Bryan) At CQE he was helping Beau and partner with the lift.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Unexpectedly exciting competition. I only brought one toy with me to Montreal, and it went to Pavlova/Svyatchenko. Their 4th place finish was the highlight for me, as well as the stadium's reaction to Stelatto's win! Also was happy to see Hasse/Volodin have a great free, but was sad that Guarise didn't manage to bring it home this time.

Overall, the free was fun, and no scary falls!

I'm older therefore carbon dated.
If you were carbon-14 dated today, it would come out that you are hundreds of years old. :laugh: This is because of the release of ancient carbon into the atmosphere by burning fossil fuels (also by testing atom bombs in the 1950s and 60s).

Anyway, I guess the bottom line is, in ladies' pairs skating 40 is the new 14. :)

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
If you were carbon-14 dated today, it would come out that you are hundreds of years old. :laugh: This is because of the release of ancient carbon into the atmosphere by burning fossil fuels (also by testing atom bombs in the 1950s and 60s).

Anyway, I guess the bottom line is, in ladies' pairs skating 40 is the new 14. :)
Ahem did you have to give my age away??? IMHO carbon-dated is the new middle age.