2024 World Championships Pairs Free Skate | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2024 World Championships Pairs Free Skate

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Not just sad, but quite disturbing. I used to have tracks from the score in my playlist until I saw the movie and then I was -- no way! The soundtrack cover image is a dead (murdered) woman, yikes (I used to think that she was just sleeping).
Yes very disturbing, I would say even savage; one viewing was probably too much. Amy Adams had a dual role in that film and the story was in two parts, one part real the other fiction… Sad the music is so beautiful..

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
OK.. I am here with a few comments... I walked very fast from the rink... because, well... i want a rare celebratory beer LOL :)
and now, instead of well, drinking, I am posting.

Here are a few thoughts.

Both German teams really delivered strong elements. Their programs were both MEH.
The Hungarians are such strong skaters. Maybe one day, they will also be good performers, but for now, that will prevent them from winning big events.
Bad night for both Italian teams. I felt sorry for Conti Macii but it's often not a good idea to bring back an old program... but there is worse : Cats.

Georgians were overscored for what they did tonight.
American teams : I still prefer the overall skating of Valentina and Max. Too bad she doesn' t have her SBS jumps. They got level 4s on everything. Emily and Spencer : if you want to do Muse you need to be clean... that's the only possible way to make this awful music successful in figure skating. of course, they get a pass because they are just starting back to compete. Ellie did well with her jumps but her throws still need work. Great lifts but yeah, I still prefer Valentina and Max (not so much in Top Gun however).

Lia and Trennt... one mistake... a bit underscored in my opinion.

Now, what you all want to hear about ...

When Deanna and Max pretty much landed everything, especially that 3S that Deanna had on a lean... it was always going to be difficult for Riku and Ryuichi. With a 4 point lead, they would have needed at 148 LP. Not impossible but I was very dubious about it. In the warm up, they had a huge fall on the throw lutz. They were not super comfortable. Deanna was uber tight as well. Both teams did amazingly well during the actual competition considering their warm up.

Some of you have mentioned that Riku and Ryuichi lost the title when Riku doubled the salchow. Well, how can you assume that she would have landed it with positive GOE? That's one of the elements that has caused them problems in the past as well. It may have been a fall. A jump short of rotation with a step out... etc. There is no guarantee that it would translate into the 4 missing points.

On PCS : I agree with the judges : Riku and Ryuichi have better skating skills. However, tonight, there was pretty much only two great programs in the top ten in terms of choreography (call me biased but Lia and Trennt's Gladiator is fabulous and Deanna and Max's vampires... I would add Cinema Paradisio but not tonight). So many programs were bland, one note and borderline boring. And unfortunately for them, the Japanese had to go back to a very one note program. The woman program can work and it did last year, but only with them at full speed and amplitude, which wasn't the case tonight. So in the end, the judges gave the edge on choreo and performance to the Canadians, which I completely agree with.

Other areas where Riku and Ryuichi lost points : twist. q on the 3t. death spiral.
They gained points on the throw lutz but that wasn't enough.

I actually thought Riku and Ryuichi would earn about 142 points or so.

This is just my take on it. The old saying : you can't win it in the SP but you can lose it there seems to be relevant this time again. With 4 points behind, they needed 1) to be flawless (they weren't) 2) that Deanna and Max make a significant mistake or multiple small mistakes (that didn't quite happen).

So not a wuzrobbed moment at all in my humble opinion.

On another note, very sad that Riku and Ryuichi couldn't attend the medal ceremony. Health comes first obviously but it was very odd. I am happy to read that it as just a temporary moment and not an injury or something worse. I hope that they will be able to skate in the gala and perhaps receive their medal there in a formal manner.

I am a fan of the three teams on the podium and that was how I was wishing it would end... so I got my wish. That never happens ;)

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Guys who are invested into crowning shenanigans - it took PATIENCE (because Deanna and Maxime were busy), but here are the blurry proofs Deanna wore the crown!
Now I can add to my travel resume: World Champion wore your crown :laugh:
But more seriously...that arena today was HOPPING for their skaters. I felt super fortunate I've decided to come.
20240321_224503.jpg

20240321_224509.jpg

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey @el henry ... how gorgeous was Jason's skate today. Thought of you because you usually express what I love about his skating, but I have trouble verbalizing it in the moment. ;)

Unfortunately, I couldn't comment online during the men's SP after a certain time frame. Not to digress, (but when has that ever stopped me?) Jason is just motion and music and blades as one. And so gratifying to see him display that gift and to hear the audience agree.

Then again, I have said in almost every other post, this audience is great. For men, pairs, and although I didn't watch them, I bet for women too. And a great audience adds to great skates,

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Whenever any skaters use that Cinema Paradiso theme, I start singing "I've Never Been in Love Before". Can't help it, I was in a high school production of Guys and Dolls and sang that duet with my boyfriend of the day. I'm not saying anyone stole any of the music, but....

(Tried to add a youtube clip of the original cast recording of the song that I Googled, but it wasn't transferrable.)

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Haven't read the comments yet, just started to watch and Mr TT_Fin went to his own computer. "So the Canadians won" he shouted :mad:. Why in earth he was at home today too. Usually he is already at work at this time. I try calm down myself. A good way to start to ruin my free day which I wanted (and earned).

auser

Record Breaker
Damn, I wanted to see Deanna and Maxime win...but I didn't want Rikuryu to get hurt in the process. Both teams were amazing to watch live and I love them both... I have some very raw feelings about not seeing all of the winning teams on the podium, and I had to leave the victory ceremony early...
:ghug:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What a shock, he seemed fine just before. I'm glad they could give him treatment straight away.
i hope he is okay. I wonder if the disappointment of losing the world title had something to do with it. I hope not. Japan was wonderful in both segments and it was close. They won the fs.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It was close and really. Neither of these teams would have gold if Russia was competing the last couple of years. I even think Tarasova and MOrozov could beat both of these two top teams.
Look. In the recent years where Russians competed in pairs, teams from China, Canada and Germany won world/olympic titles. So why would it be suddenly impossible ? The quality in the field is actually stronger than ever now. There is depth. Many countries have great teams. Germany is back. Italy (okay not their night) has 3 great teams. Countries likes Hungary and Australia are in top ten and not because others are not there, because they can land their elements.

Are Russian pairs great ? Yes. No question about that. They have a fabulous tradition of excellence, but it is very short sighted in my opinion to assume that the current eligible teams wouldn't challenge them, even beat them. May I remind you that Russia has only won gold at the Olympics ONCE since 2010. As a matter of fact, they were not on the pairs podium at 2010 nor 2018 Olympics.

This is not even an opinion but facts.

auser

Record Breaker
Look. In the recent years where Russians competed in pairs, teams from China, Canada and Germany won world/olympic titles. So why would it be suddenly impossible ? The quality in the field is actually stronger than ever now. There is depth. Many countries have great teams. Germany is back. Italy (okay not their night) has 3 great teams. Countries likes Hungary and Australia are in top ten and not because others are not there, because they can land their elements.

Are Russian pairs great ? Yes. No question about that. They have a fabulous tradition of excellence, but it is very short sighted in my opinion to assume that the current eligible teams wouldn't challenge them, even beat them. May I remind you that Russia has only won gold at the Olympics ONCE since 2010. As a matter of fact, they were not on the pairs podium at 2010 nor 2018 Olympics.

This is not even an opinion but facts.
Impressed you are still awake @4everchan after such a full day of watching skating live. Thank you for all your on site posts. :)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Whenever any skaters use that Cinema Paradiso theme, I start singing "I've Never Been in Love Before". Can't help it, I was in a high school production of Guys and Dolls and sang that duet with my boyfriend of the day. I'm not saying anyone stole any of the music, but....

(Tried to add a youtube clip of the original cast recording of the song that I Googled, but it wasn't transferrable.)
I don't remember the Guys and Dolls song! It sure does sound like SOMEBODY was copying.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Everytime I wake up, the show is already over - thanks, time difference! I'm not much interested in pairs usually, but I guess I'll rewatch the top ones.

I'm mostly curious if German media are finally going to acknowledge that German pairs are somewhat successful and that maybe the should cover the sport more.:coffee:

auser

Record Breaker
Haven't read the comments yet, just started to watch and Mr TT_Fin went to his own computer. "So the Canadians won" he shouted :mad:. Why in earth he was at home today too. Usually he is already at work at this time. I try calm down myself. A good way to start to ruin my free day which I wanted (and earned).
Good morning @TT_Fin. Lovely to see you! Sorry about your possibly spoiler husband. Hope you are looking forward to ice dance RD as I am.
;)