2015 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic SLC General | Page 51 | Golden Skate

2015 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic SLC General

charmblade

Final Flight
It's a beautiful program for Satoko but I think it feels a bit...young? Maybe I'd like it better with a different dress? Not sure, but I'm not completely feeling it yet.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Satoko Miyahara (JPN)

Very pink. Ruffled skirt. Not a fan of the silver swirly border between mesh and solid that runs right across somewhere there should NOT be mesh. Oh, there's a same coloured panel just under the mesh to make sure things are covered.

Piano music.

3Lze<-2T<-2Lo<
3Lo<
StSq
3F
CCoSp - very wide step between changes of feet, she'll want to be careful with that
3Lz!< fall
2A-3T
FCSp
3S
2A-3T<
ChSq
LSp

Those jumps are just...so whippy and pre-rotated.

Wait, that WON?

Layback11

Record Breaker
Satoko Miyahara JPN

Pink dress with half-mesh bodice, sleeves and crystals
Low bun with matching scrunchie

Not sure what music

Score: 120.16, 183.64
Place: KILLS THE COMPETITION
1st

3Lz-2t-2lo
3lo
StSq
Combo spin
3lz fall
2A-3T
Combo spin
3sal
2A-3T
Spiral
Good layback

andyjo24

Medalist
I have to say that the future of the American ladies looks really bleak... There's a lot of talent but the American skaters just don't seem to be able to deliver. At the end of the game, the less talented but consistent skater wins. Sigh....

slider11

Medalist
I really liked Satoko's performance. Yes, her jumps are "little" but , for the most part, they are not telegraphed and full rotated. Most important they go with the music and she has some lovely transitions and arm movements. I think she clearly deserved the win!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to say that the future of the American ladies looks really bleak... There's a lot of talent but the American skaters just don't seem to be able to deliver. At the end of the game, the less talented but consistent skater wins. Sigh....

Tbh, I wouldn't say that just yet.

charmblade

Final Flight
I think I agree with the order of the medalists, Satoko deserved the win although I think that's mainly because the rest of the field did not do as well. Elizabet did very well, probably the best of the night IMO, but Satoko's PCS should have gotten her the win, and it did.

Lipea

Final Flight
Lovely young girl and music a nice choice but absolutely no connection on her part to the music. Not sure how you teach that but because someone has fabulous jumps and good choreography does not automatically give them good performance marks.

That's weird; I don't have access to watch this competition, but by the past Elizabet's performances I had an impression that her musicality is one of the most sentitive among all current skaters.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I really liked Satoko's performance. Yes, her jumps are "little" but , for the most part, they are not telegraphed and full rotated. Most important they go with the music and she has some lovely transitions and arm movements. I think she clearly deserved the win!

Except they're not. They're pre-rotated. The toe jumps particularly.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Yes Elizabet had showed great sensitivity (e.g. arms) to the music before. but this year it seems a little disconnected, I dont know...

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's not be Debbie-Downers here shall we? It'll happen again one day. Possibly this year. Let's try to be a little optimistic here! :yay:

Lipea

Final Flight
Yes Elizabet had showed great sensitivity (e.g. arms) to the music before. but this year it seems a little disconnected, I dont know...

But she has the same LP as last year, and on Skate Detroit it looked pretty good.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
That's weird; I don't have access to watch this competition, but by the past Elizabet's performances I had an impression that her musicality is one of the most sentitive among all current skaters.

She's gorgeous to watch, but the beautiful movement doesn't always match up exactly with the music and some people are more sensitive to the disconnect than others. It's not a terrible thing- it's actually typical for young dancers. I can see her being another Mao or Yuna in another couple of years, it's just a matter of waiting for her to mature.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I think Karen needs something extra.. can not put my finger on it.....she seems a little bit stagnant for a while now.

andyjo24

Medalist
Tbh, I wouldn't say that just yet.

It's true.. Why do you think there has been no world medal for the Americans the past 9 years. As an American myself, I must say that the future looks very unpromising... Karen and Angela have huge jumps, especially compared to Satoko and Elizabet, but what's the point if they aren't going to deliver? Especially when the Russian and Japanese ladies do?

I'm not even being pessimistic. The past nine years of history support my view. :sarcasm:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Elizabet may changed FS choreo, such as jump arrangement etc. although the same music.
I dont think disconnect to music is a common thing for youngsters, those who has great innate musicality shows it even in a very young age.