Country
Austria
Polina's flip is not consistent AT ALL.

Last Season:

Worlds: SP !, LP !, !
4CC: SP !, LP e, !
Cup of China: SP no call, LP e, e
NHK: SP singled, LP !, !
US Figure Skating Classic: SP no call, LP !, !
Nationals: SP !, LP !, !

It was only not called 2 times out of around 18 attempts.

ETA: 17 I guess- one was singled so I don't know how to count it, but I guess it would be accurate to say she was only successful in 2 of 18 attempts, or that the edge wasn't called in only 3 of 18 attempts, one of which was a singled jump.
I'm not talking about last season, we have seen her at Glacier Falls and now and those times the flip was clean. So that's 100% this season. She said that she learned the flip correctly (and as far as I remember she didn't have the problem with the flip edge in the Olympic season), so I think she was able to fix it over the summer.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Gracie really doesn't need the flip for the base value as her all around skating is much better then Poilna's and Ashley's too for that matter. She just needs to skate clean and the marks will come. Most of her falls are on the flip so i don't know what Frank is thinking. If Gracie loses a big title like the US Nationals or a place on the World podium because of this Frank will need his *** kicked.
I agree with that, mostly because of the fact that Gracie's 3L can be huge. I think it's her best jump after the lutz, she should showcase it.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm not talking about last season, we have seen her at Glacier Falls and now and those times the flip was clean. So that's 100% this season. She said that she learned the flip correctly (and as far as I remember she didn't have the problem with the flip edge in the Olympic season), so I think she was able to fix it over the summer.

Are detailed protocols available for Glacier Falls? Or how do you know whether it was called there or not? (This is not me trying to be difficult I am genuinely curious- I have never seen detailed protocols from there nor video as I don't subscribe to IN and her score was low). In general though I think it's too soon to say for sure she's fixed the flip issue. Let's at least see how tomorrow goes first :biggrin:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Boy, I was not expecting that...

Ashley: OMG, yes! Amazing performance:cheer:. I wasn't sure about the music but when you put it all together, it's a great combination. She sold the crap outta of it from start to finish and she had the audience from the beginning too. The jumps were spot on which is a rarity for her so early in the season. Amazing score and very well deserved.

Yuka: I've known since watching her in juniors that if Yuka can find some consistency, she can be a factor. She has lovely jumps and style and she was gorgeous here. I feel like she give's Mao's Madame Butterfly dress a run for it's money:biggrin:. I'd love to see her have a strong FS as well.

Kanako: I totally wasn't expecting to see her in the top 3 here. The jumps were off (< on the combo and no axel) but I like this program for her. It reminds me of her Adios Nonino FS where it ends so strongly, you almost forget whatever mistakes she made earlier. Very nicely done from a performance standpoint. Tangos really bring out her fiery side. Me likey...

Kaetlyn: I think her scores were very fair. It was shocking to see her nail those huge jumps and then belly flop on her flying spin and then go down on the axel too. Even though she lost a lot of points, she scored well on those two opening jumping passes and she maxed her non-jump elements (all level 4s). Her PCS weren't inflated either. Mostly 7s and only two 8s...less than 30 in PCS. That's plenty fair IMO.

Polina: Kudos for the overhaul in packaging. The dress is gorgeous, the makeup is nice and the program is lovely as well. She lost points here. UR on the combo and the 2A plus no points for the spin and a low level on the combo spin. The TES was unfortunate but at least her PCS have come up (almost 30). That's a good sign...but the URs are not a good sign.

Liza T: Wow. I was not expecting that at all. She was just off here. I wonder if Ashley's score intimidated her a little? The big question I had concerning Liza this year is if she can keep up the level she had last year...so far she's giving us reason to doubt. She wasn't very strong at Japan Open, not as stellar as usual at Cup of Nice and now a somewhat disastrous SP here. That's not to say her whole season will be like this but she's not looking nearly as solid and unshakable as she did last year. She can definitely medal here with a strong FS but I think 15 points is too much ground to make up unless she nails her FS and Ashley struggles a lot.

Excited to see how everyone does in the FS tomorrow.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Polina gave me false hope :drama: But yay for Ashley!!! :cheer:

Kanako is my happy pill :eek::

Taan

On the Ice
:disapp: POLINA was robbed!!! :mad:
why didnt she get credit for her lovely spin??!! :mad:
:disapp:

kimganos

On the Ice
Ashley was fabulous- love this short for her- and she performed it with spunk, flair, sass, and attitude. Her jumps looked really good too. She was head and shoulders above everyone else.

I don't understand Polina's scores. Thought she was 2nd best by a lot.

I feel really bad for Tuk. But those scores were generous. She had a DEBACLE of a performance. She was slow, labored, awkward, and uncharismatic in addition to the jump errors.

:agree:This

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Are detailed protocols available for Glacier Falls? Or how do you know whether it was called there or not? (This is not me trying to be difficult I am genuinely curious- I have never seen detailed protocols from there nor video as I don't subscribe to IN and her score was low). In general though I think it's too soon to say for sure she's fixed the flip issue. Let's at least see how tomorrow goes first :biggrin:
http://www.rockerskating.com/rockervideoarchive/2015/8/6/polina-edmunds-2015-glacier-falls-short-program at around 1:16. I think you see it very clearly in this video and it isn't "only" a flat edge, it's an inside edge.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Somebody please challenge Mao Asada. At this rate, she's running away with the title.

Mao is already doing the hardest tech content and she works to improve herself. She keeps her own standard up. A real champion who deserves to finally win an Olympics. Others can try to challenge but nobody has her lifetime of experience and technical expertise. The worst would be some Russian baby getting a 3Axel and receiving hugely undeserved PCS just to present some kind of faux challenge to the queen.

She could have been given the benefit of the doubt. But on slow-mo, it looks as though her skate is touching the ice before she's at 90 degrees and a strict tech caller would catch that.

90 degrees from what point. She doesn't pre-rotate her Toeloops as much as most everyone else does.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ok, I just watched Polina's SP and I all can say is...................Almost! It was one step away from being a great program. She did everything nicely but, IMO, she just wasn't solid today. I will say this for her. She looks beautiful and I love her dress. I know her mother has a background in Ballet and my teacher used to tell us that just because we weren't smiling didn't mean we should look bored. I certainly don't think Polina looked bored but, she looked like she was doing a run through in the practice rink.

My teacher used to say "Imagine the look you'd have on your face when you smelled a rose" Not some overly cheesy smile, but the look you might have walking through a rose garden. I remember thinking she was crazy until I tried it. It's a pleasant almost whimsical feeling and you can't help but have a pleasant expression on your face. I hope that made sense.......

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I only saw the protocols and I'm kinda bummed that the judges started a carrot (>) garden in Polina's scores sheet :mad:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Hopefully now that she's in the 70's club,

Wagner can also finally join the 130 club, Which will also bring her to the 200 club :party:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Well there goes my predictions. This season is totally queen Mao's though. :clap: Only ones who can challenge is maybe Medvedeva and Gracie...

Lipea

Final Flight
Looks like most likely Ashley will win this. I don't believe in Kanako to do more or less clean skate, but I do believe in that with both Lizas. So, most likely it will be Ashley, Yuka and Liza on podium.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'd be extremely happy if Ashley breaks 190. More than anything though. I want her to skate clean.

whatif

Medalist
So Tukt is done. Another one of those one hit wonder, destroyed by puberty, IKEA Russians.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'm just glad Polina lost points primarily due to spins. Her 2a had issues, she put her hand down, so the < there is not that surprising. Then 3lz-3t< is not the end of the world. I'm just happy she got credit for the 3lz and 3f (no edge call). We all know she can spin and do a 2a, with her growing and filling out I was more worried the jumps would go MIA, but what got her tonight was really just the stupid mistakes on the spins, which should be easy for her to fix. Ashley and Yuka were both fab! Liked Kanako too despite the mule kick, bent knees, and flexed feet, somehow even with all that she manages to be really engaging.

Sad for Leonova and Tuk and Tursy but hopefully they can pull up in the FS. Osmond's first two jumps were amazing, she could have scored around Ashley if the rest of the skate was clean. Anyways she still has a shot to medal. Hope she is not hurt again!