Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

Pika

Final Flight
Can you elaborate a bit on the timing problem ? My untrained eyes are not seeing it.

Welcome here cocotaffy! :)
I would like to here a it more about this too, I felt during the performance there was a problem but wasn't sure

cocotaffy

Final Flight
It was good, but not amazing. :disapp:
I hope to be more impressed by the FD. :biggrin:

Well, at the first viewing, i was a bit unimpressed too, but, rabid fan that i am of them :yahoo: , i've already rewatched it couple of times and it certainly grows on you. Now, i already love it. Of course, they will improve as season goes.
Tx Pika for the welcome. I've never dared writing but what wouldn't i do for P/C :hap10:

oat

On the Ice
The cameraman is bad, so it's quite difficult to be 100% in it. :dev2:
what a lightness, speed with effortless.

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Can you elaborate a bit on the timing problem ? My untrained eyes are not seeing it.

Welcome here cocotaffy! :)
I would like to here a it more about this too, I felt during the performance there was a problem but wasn't sure

Since I'm not a musician it's actually always hard for me to see timing mistakes, unless they truly are glaring (like Sinitsina/Katsalapov and Stepanova/Bukin had). Besides, sometimes videos on'line don't have perfect synchronisation beetween the audio and the video. His second three turn was not executed on count three (maybe first one too, and definitely swing roll), then after second and third key-points mohawks there were chasses which were not done on first beats of each three count (not key steps). Late on chasses before her rocker in second part too. Overall, it seemed that they're chansing the music, some steps were done not on beats. Her second twizzle also looked questionable (not key step), because she was on two feet during it, not stepped right on RFI edge, which proper execution demands. Overall, in my opinion, the pattern needs improving all over the place. Every team on GPF had more polished patterns. But it's their first event, so...

Edit: any chance to see the protocols?

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Thanks.
Big, big timing problems in RW patterns. I hope they will fix it before big events. The music edited well to fit this season's requirements.

What kind of timing problems? See, the synch between music and picture with internet streams is so unreliable I almost never count beats (that falling under the category, "What's the point?"). I do like the music--both the RW and, in this case, a march, are all about flow and momentum, and the music certainly has that. Even the added beats aren't intrusive. I will say that of all the attempts to shove the RW into a more "contemporary" style and music, this is one of the better ones (the other being HubDon--though of course whether they are actually skating a waltz is debatable).

Frankly, I still prefer Chock & Bates with their more 'pure' ballroom style. And WePo's is quite good, though relatively unimaginative choreographically.

Still, what a joy to see PapCiz back on the ice.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
What kind of timing problems? See, the synch between music and picture with internet streams is so unreliable I almost never count beats (that falling under the category, "What's the point?"). I do like the music--both the RW and, in this case, a march, are all about flow and momentum, and the music certainly has that. Even the added beats aren't intrusive. I will say that of all the attempts to shove the RW into a more "contemporary" style and music, this is one of the better ones (the other being HubDon--though of course whether they are actually skating a waltz is debatable).

Frankly, I still prefer Chock & Bates with their more 'pure' ballroom style. And WePo's is quite good, though relatively unimaginative choreographically.

Still, what a joy to see PapCiz back on the ice.

Maybe. I like the music too. Although after Medvedeva used it so brilliantly (IMO) in her FS without artificial beats, this sounds kinda strange, and... I don't know, maybe fake? Just like Hubbel/Donohue's Throne 'Adagio' which was mixed with some march beat, that made it worse, not better. But in this case mixing clearly was necessary.
They definitely have a style, they look different from all teams, very fresh.

Plumededragon

Medalist
I hope you all don't forget that they lost a lot of time of training following Gabriella's accident, compared to the other ID couples. So, it's a rather great start, and they can only get better as the season goes. :)

NicolettaL

Final Flight
From the Monteral teams in my opinion F-B/S have on point music choices for SD. I've listened Medvedeva FP music like a thousand times so it's strange to hear this version of Charms, but it's what I've expected. As for now I'm suprised that they are prepared so well after such a short amount of trening time. Timing is not exactly there and it's clearly visible that this programe need skating hours (gosh I can't find equivalent of polish word for that) but it has this it factor. Fluidnes, good long beautyfull moves, and amazing costumes. I'm excited for tommorow, but that's good for the start.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
So WeakAnkles
you don't like P/C program ?

Goodness. Go back into the archives and you'll see I've been raving about these guys since their Woodkid FD. I would have raved about their FD at Junior Worlds, but I wasn't posting about Junior ID then. I think Ciz in particular is one of the top five male ice dancers of all time. And they're a very good match for each other. Chemistry out the wazoo. But the SD has never ever been their strong suit. Last year's PD I thought was very overmarked, especially at Worlds (I would have had them 5th or 6th if I remember correctly). But the Montreal School is not particularly innovative or adventurous when it comes to choreography. Their Mozart FD last year was, after all, essentially a transcription of a brilliant modern ballet piece to ice.

So it's not that I dislike this SD at all. It's nice. They skate it very well, which just shows you how much abundant talent is there, given their lack of training time. And I'm sure by Worlds it will be far more polished than it is right now. But as a piece of choreography, are there any steps or holds or lifts that you remember right away? That made you go, Wow, isn't it amazing what the human body can do? There haven't been many this season (pretty much the ones that comes immediately to my mind are CapLan's straight line lift and the Shibs' twizzles in their respective FDs).

What PapCiz DO have, as Snow pointed out, is a singular style. And that is something more precious than mere technique. Because it is STYLE that makes people remember you.

Just my two cents. YMMV of course.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Firstly, I am so, so, so glad to see them back!!!

Now, for the skate... I really like the music choice: it suits their style beautifully. I don't have the skating vocabulary, unfortunately, to speak in specifics about ice dance (really thinking of doing an adult learn to skate programme when I've finished my MA just for that reason actually!). However, I do love the basic style of this, I would agree that there aren't stand out lifts (I think that if they have those they will reserve them for the FD with so little training time). I did think that they maybe were chasing the music a couple of times (although with streams it can be difficult to tell). But, the fluidity with strong, beautiful shapes was wonderful. I loved the transition choreo between the waltz and the march with the lunge- almost paso type shapes. I think that there is a strong basis to build a season with here.

I am so impressed with how they've managed to get this together so far with all their troubles. After all, when the Blade Boys interviewed Marie-France at TEB, she said that they had been only back on the ice 3 weeks at that point.

Two things got me a bit emotional. One, the smile of Gabriella as they bowed. She must be thinking, "At last" and yet be also still emotionally and mentally recovering from her ordeal. I am in awe of her strength these past few months.

Two, the way Guillaume skates with her. I think that Guillaume is generally regarded as the stronger skater so it is not controversial to say that with months more training than her on top of this, he could blow her off the ice if he wanted. But he doesn't; he exhibits his strength and ability as a skater, but always in relation to her. He presents her beautifully and his movement always flows to her and frames her to the audience. They are always a team. I can think of a few skaters in teams that could learn from Guiilaume.

Last edited:

Arawen

Final Flight
So happy they´re finally back!! I love their SD and thought they skated it really well. Still room for improvement but that is expected