29th Practice incident discussion | Page 2 | Golden Skate

29th Practice incident discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interspectator

Record Breaker

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Having a bit of an ego is the sign of greatness. Anyway, I have a hard time picturing this scenario. If they got in each other's way skating around, okay. But during a spin? Weird.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I just came across this article in Russian (haven't had time to look for any others yet), is this a real quote from Hanyu?

"I watched the video and I think he probably did it on purpose, but I should not be mad at him for it, it makes no sense." - Said Hanyu, as quoted by AFP .

:eek:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Having a bit of an ego is the sign of greatness. Anyway, I have a hard time picturing this scenario. If they got in each other's way skating around, okay. But during a spin? Weird.

Not sure how someone is supposed to know when they are in the way mid spin. ISU should ban spins during someone else's run thru. Problem solved. Although....kudos to a competitor that memorized his rivals program and pulled off intentionally executing a spin in their future path. :laugh:

Me thinks this topic needs its own thread.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I just came across this article in Russian (haven't had time to look for any others yet), is this a real quote from Hanyu?

"I watched the video and I think he probably did it on purpose, but I should not be mad at him for it, it makes no sense." - Said Hanyu, as quoted by AFP .

:eek:

All the articles I've seen seem to be quoting this original one in Japanese. http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20160331/fgr16033116360009-n1.html
it just says that Denis cut across Yuzu's path, a breach in manners, and that the federation is taking appropriate action.
Also added that this had happened before and seeing the video after the SP, Yuzu said, 'I saw the video, it may be (probably be) intentional, but I think it was wrong (for me) to be angry at that.'

Explains the convention for skaters to give right of way to the one who has their music playing.

Denis went on practicing a spin in Yuzu's path. Yuzu said angrily, 'Hey You! There's no need for that!'

--But there is no author to credit as far as I can see.

s_parks

Record Breaker
This is like Yuna at 2009 worlds practice fiasco. Media is blowing it up. Yes, Denis should have been more careful after the first time, but like Sam-skwantch said, how was he supposed to know if he was in mid-spin?

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I guess the media are blowing only the first news which only states jsf only made complain to Denis so he would take better look around in practice. Nothing as serious as media want to make it

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I don't think a warning is uncalled for.

I frankly think we may be reaching a point where we need to reduce the number of guys on practice ice as I am not sure I think 6 guys all practicing multiple quads is really practical anymore. It think there will be more issues like this in the coming years unless changes are made. Assuming a warning is just that... a warning with no other consequence, than that is appropriate. Keep issuing warnings and looking at the situation. Warnings serve to document incidences. Maybe with warnings we can find what we need to change to make thing safer.

Edited as it was apparently too early for me to write "warnings" as a plural word

Last edited:

whatif

Medalist
So can somebody spill some tea about relationship between Ten and Hanyu. Has it been always this hostile?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Ok, this article is a bit more thorough.

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2016/03/31/169878518

I don't believe Denis did it on purpose either, but I think it's understandable for Yuzuru to have some PTSD after what happened at COC. And based on the quote here I think Denis could have shown a bit more empathy...well, I don't want to see this get blown out of proportion or throw blame around, but if this petition is real, I wonder if it could have been avoided with a simple apology from Denis. :slink:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I don't think a warning is uncalled for.

I frankly think we may be reaching a point where we need to reduce the number of guys on practice ice as I am not sure I think 6 guys all practicing multiple quads is really practical anymore. It think there will be more issues like this in the coming years unless changes are made. Assuming a warning is just that... a warning with no other consequence, than that is appropriate. Keep issuing in warning and looking at the situation. Warning serve to document incidences. Maybe with warning we can find what we need to change to make thing safer.
ye, I agree. 6 guys especially in group like we had yesterday is too much. They all skate faster and big, and jump big quads

shyne

Final Flight
Your music gets played only once per practice session. Not be able to do a run through because someone else is in the way is very frustrating.
There's a reason most skaters practice their spins during the last 2-3min of the practice session when no one's doing their run-through, to avoid situation like that.

Bonesfan

On the Ice
No, Denis and Yuzu have always been respectful and polite to each other. They skated in a few shows together, and there are pics of them goofing off and having fun.

Three incidents in 2 days is a lot though. I wish Denis had made a quick apology during practice.

The last incident was at the practice rink. Spectators are not allowed inside, but you can peek through the glass windows, which is why Jackie Wong is one of the few people to report on it.

So can somebody spill some tea about relationship between Ten and Hanyu. Has it been always this hostile?

andromache

Record Breaker
I have a lot of sympathy for Yuzu, especially because of the CoC incident last year. I can see why he's angry, but making statements about how he thinks Denis did it on purpose seems like it's crossed the line.

I'm sure it's difficult for Denis to be aware of what's going on when he's spinning, but it is odd that it's happened multiple times. But I'm going to assume that Denis is just unfortunately not paying attention to his surroundings (with all his injuries, it's not like he's spent a lot of time on practice ice outside his own rink this year) rather than intentionally trying to disrupt or injure anyone.

(I feel pretty bad for Denis that this has been blown up so much in the media. He doesn't have a HUGE fanbase like Yuzu does which means he's going to be made out as a villain.)

ysy94

Rinkside
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2016/03/31/169878518
"I honestly didn't notice it until someone was screaming at my back every time he was passing by," Ten said. "I don't think there was an issue; we didn't hit each other. I always train with a lot of people on the ice. Maybe he is not used to a lot of people. It's practice: There are six people on the ice, and sometimes we get too close to each other."
"Frank is a very conservative person. If it happens in El Segundo (where Carroll trains Ten and U.S. champion Gracie Gold at the Toyota Sports Center), he will not let a skater keep skating," Ten said. "Behavior is very important."

Ten just lost all my respect, his answer interview make me angry than what he did. He play innocent and blame Yuzu back, dont even apology. While Yuzu after that feel regret for his lost temper

s_parks

Record Breaker
Okay, seriously, I really hope it doesn't get to the point where people are making assumptions/speculations about either skater on a personal level. That would just be crossing the line.

hurrah

Medalist
I think the rule is that the skater whose music is on has right of way. Whether unintended or not, it was wrong of Denis to be in Yuzuru's way and so he should just have apologized.

It's never a good idea for a skater to get in the way of a skater during practice. Alot of practie sessions are put up on YouTube and what not and fans watch them, and if the same skater gets in the way of another skater more than once, then it DOES look intentional. I still remember seeing Alena Lenova getting in Mao's way more than once when it was Mao's turn on the ice and it made me dislike her because at worst, she was a spiteful competitor and even at best, inconsiderate and selfish.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay, seriously, I really hope it doesn't get to the point where people are making assumptions/speculations about either skater on a personal level. That would just be crossing the line.

This!!!

shyne

Final Flight
No, Denis and Yuzu have always been respectful and polite to each other. They skated in a few shows together, and there are pics of them goofing off and having fun.

Three incidents in 2 days is a lot though. I wish Denis had made a quick apology during practice.

The last incident was at the practice rink. Spectators are not allowed inside, but you can peek through the glass windows, which is why Jackie Wong is one of the few people to report on it.

I think the issue is Denis feels this is no big deal and what he does is perfectly ok: whoever doing the run-through can just skate around him. I don't think this mindset is correct. I also feel this can be all solved if Denis made a quick apology during practice.
The fact that Denis has repeatedly done this during practice sessions made Yuzu felt it was done intentionally.

However, this reminds me of Tracy's interview with TSL. With 6 skaters on the ice, it's very likely to get in each other's way. Skaters with the music on have the right of way, but even when someone has blocked your path, behaivers such as yelling/punching the boards are also considered unacceptable by the general skating community.

Last edited:

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
3 incidents in 2 days between Yuzu and Denis. Brian also mentioned Denis had a similar incident with Javi during the same practice session.
I think the issue is Denis feels this is no big deal and what he does is perfectly ok: whoever doing the run-through can just skate around him. I also feel this can be all solved if Denis made a quick apology during practice.

That's not true, he said it was with other skater not Denis (name is not mentioned)

Status
Not open for further replies.