2016 Japan Open | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2016 Japan Open

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I found it interesting that Evgenia's program received a full standing ovation and placed ahead of a flawless Miyahara in Japan. Until otherwise, I think the current perception going forward is this program will be well-received internationally and Evgenia is still the one to beat. I'm not sure her team has any incentive to change anything at this point.

She is not currently scheduled to compete in the US this season, so we may never know if a US audience would react differently than an international one.

While she has no events in the U.S., there will likely be U.S. citizens/ex-pats/visitors at every event, including Skate Canada, which -- as you know! -- is driving distance within several U.S. cities. And 24 of the Sept. 11 victims were from Canada, though that's the same as Japan.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I found it interesting that Evgenia's program received a full standing ovation and placed ahead of a flawless Miyahara in Japan. Until otherwise, I think the current perception going forward is this program will be well-received internationally and Evgenia is still the one to beat. I'm not sure her team has any incentive to change anything at this point.

She is not currently scheduled to compete in the US this season, so we may never know if a US audience would react differently than an international one.

It was also a country of non-native English speakers in fairness. Many of us did not even catch the lines/what was said until more than one watch, and if anything it might be harder to understand in an arena. They may not have been turned off simply because they did not notice/catch the details. Frankly i would not expect most native English speakers to fully catch it on the first viewing... a lot of other things to pay attention to.

I am not sure it really matters that she does not compete in the USA or how an American audience would react. Non-Americans have opinions on this too, and I don't think Americans have a claim to being offended by this.

I agree her team likely has no incentive to change. For them it likely is a case of no publicity is bad publicity, and it likely is true in this case. I don't think it will harm her or hold her back. Fans will come and go anyway - so she likely has little to lose. The thing is, I am not even a fan of hers but think she is better than this type of pandering for attention. I think she could be just as successful - without annoying people, if she would ditch the sound effects - and I doubt many people would think the program lost power if she did.

Honestly I am not a fan of spoken lines at all in programs... hers are just likely the worst example of it.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
While she has no events in the U.S., there will likely be U.S. citizens/ex-pats/visitors at every event, including Skate Canada, which -- as you know! -- is driving distance within several U.S. cities. And 24 of the Sept. 11 victims were from Canada, though that's the same as Japan.

Americans are not universally opposed to this skating program. I'm not even convinced a majority of Americans would feel strongly about this, one way or another.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Americans are not universally opposed to this skating program. I'm not even convinced a majority of Americans would feel strongly about this, one way or another.

Of course. But my point is there will likely be Americans who will be in the audience at every event -- even those abroad -- and who knows maybe one of them was affected by it.

There are several GS members who are American who will be at Skate Canada, so I'd be interested to hear their thoughts after seeing it in person. Maybe in an arena, the voice overs aren't obvious and what not.

As I noted, my Facebook friends -- nonskating fans -- who viewed it actually weren't offended, but they didn't feel like she exhibited the theme of the world's insecurities that well either.

In any case, I'm not pegging this on Evgenia nor does this make me an anti-fan (still think she's a great skater and has a lovely personally), but I guess thank goodness that Averbach didn't choreograph this a year earlier. There were quite a few NYC-ers at Worlds in Boston.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
It was also a country of non-native English speakers in fairness. Many of us did not even catch the lines/what was said until more than one watch, and if anything it might be harder to understand in an arena. They may not have been turned off simply because they did not notice/catch the details. Frankly i would not expect most native English speakers to fully catch it on the first viewing... a lot of other things to pay attention to.

I am not sure it really matters that she does not compete in the USA or how an American audience would react. Non-Americans have opinions on this too, and I don't think Americans have a claim to being offended by this.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions and feelings on this. I find it odd that in one line, you say that non-Americans have a right to their opinions, but in the same post, you discredit the positive reception in Japan because the audience must not have understood what they were seeing/hearing? :confused:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
There are several GS members who are American who will be at Skate Canada, so I'd be interested to hear their thoughts after seeing it in person. Maybe in an arena, the voice overs aren't obvious and what not.

I'll give mine after I get out of the event! :agree:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions and feelings on this. I find it odd that in one line, you say that non-Americans have a right to their opinions, but in the same post, you discredit the positive reception in Japan because the audience must not have understood what they were seeing/hearing? :confused:

Well, I might like a Japanese song for its beat even if i don't know what the lyrics mean... but if i found out they were saying "murder all cats" my opinion would likely change and I would enjoy it less.

I don't like the sound clips... the "one of the planes" lines. Those are things that if you don't speak English, you are not going to notice or really be able to form an opinion on without it being translated. That is all i meant. I think this program could be good without the lines i dislike... so it is not a surprise to me that an audience that did not know what was being said, would not be bothered by the lines and like the program. I was not trying to discredit their positive reception, but I do think that many of them likely experienced/witnessed a program much closer to what many of us want her program to be... ie one without identifiable dialog. If anything the strong reception in a limited English speaking country to me argues that the lines are not needed for the program to be effective. If people that don't know what is being said still like it.... maybe the dialog lines don't need to be there.

Maybe she should put the lines in Latin. Then everyone would experience the same "who knows what is being said, but i guess i can look it up" reaction. The thing is... I don't think Evgenia speaks English, so she my not even know what is being said.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Maybe she should put the lines in Latin. Then everyone would experience the same "who knows what is being said, but i guess i can look it up" reaction. The thing is... I don't think Evgenia speaks English, so she my not even know what is being said.

Evgenia definitely is working on her English. At the TCC Mixed zone, she actually interrupted her interpreter so she could speak English about her summer plans.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Evgenia definitely is working on her English. At the TCC Mixed zone, she actually interrupted her interpreter so she could speak English about her summer plans.

I did not know that. But to be clear, I don't think she is obligated to work on her English if she does not want to - mostly that she may have a different feeling about her own program based on language.... because that is normal.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker

She does speak English and has done a few English interviews. But like many Russians (and Japanese too), they understand English much better than they are able to speak it themselves.

It would be quite shocking if she didn't understand most of the spoken lines in her program music. Maybe if she missed it the first time, she'd finally figure it out by the 50th time it played during her practices.

Based on your last few replies, I get the impression that you believe if someone is correctly interpreting & understanding the sound clips, they would have no choice but to feel offended by the program. Is this correct?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Based on your last few replies, I get the impression that you believe if someone is correctly interpreting & understanding the sound clips, they would have no choice but to feel offended by the program. Is this correct?

No, not at all. I think that if someone does not know what is being said, they would have much less reason to be offended or dislike it. For lack of a better way to put it - they would not be able to see, or in this case hear, the controversy/issue. If you literally don't know what was said (this could be due to language or acoustics or both) - you can't really form an opinion on if it is good or bad. And I think that there likely are people who will watch her program, like it initially, and later find out the translations and have a "ugh I don't like that" reaction, just like others will think "THAT'S what they were complaining about... there is nothing wrong with that!". I only meant that some people may just hear "speaking English dialog" as opposed to "one of the two planes" and might form different opinions based on how they persevere it. I assume that the audience in Japan had a wide range of reactions and opinions - just like every country.

For an analogy if a French skater did a program about their recent attacks with dialog - i would not know what was being said. I would just hear "speaking French dialog" and I would assume my reaction/feelings would be different from someone who speaks French. If a kind poster on GoldenSkate posted a translation into English, I suspect that it would affect my perception of the program, as it would give more information and more perspective and likely have an impact on my overall opinion. I don't like the lines in programs over all, so even in French I would likely not like it, however it is certainly possible that upon learning the translation, that I would like it more, just like I might hate it more.

Kittosuni

Medalist
With all due respect, puremagic, she's just not some people's cup of tea. That doesn't mean they hate her personally. Every skater gets their share of criticism.

I actually like Evgenia's skating and enjoyed watching her live both at TCC and Worlds. My concern is strictly on the choice of pieces. And I think others pointed out that they like her skating but feel the choreography she's getting doesn't justify it.

Like you said not everyone is going to love Evgenia or her program and unless it gets overwhelming negative reviews/ criticism, I dont see the need to change the program especially with that positive reception by the Japanese audience and the big score she got. This might change after GP and worlds but this is a gamble they are taking. Terrorism is a big issue now and people will talk about it. People can spin this against or for her. So far the people I know who saw it didnt actually understand it the first time and didnt really care about the voice overs but was more bothered about the WTH telephone ring in the end. I honestly really think commentators will play a big role on how this program will be perceived.

Barb

Record Breaker
The voice part is tastelessness, of course, and the ring tone is annoying and ridiculous. That program is almost so vulgar as Titanic of Radionova :palmf:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I went and talked to my friends who commented on the Russian Test Skates video. So here are their comments.

All three are Americans.

I actually liked it better this time. I still didn't really recognize what the sounds were but that sequence is kind of chaotic, which I guess worked. The waves are weird.

I know she probably didn't choreograph it herself but I still think her age and nationality play into her choices with the piece. I can see why a Russian wouldn't feel that it's exploitative. And without talking politics, I honestly feel that there are plenty of examples in American culture of things that exploit 9/11 MUCH worse than this.

I liked it better this time as well. I think the better sound and ground-level video help quite a bit. I could see the expressions on her face and understand the soundtrack much better. If the step sequence is the part with the sound effects, I thought it came off as chaotic, which to me was appropriate. As far as storytelling goes, I think for me what's lacking is that I want the routine to have hope and strength after the chaos, sort of a flowers after the rain theme ... but unfortunately in the case of 9/11, as well as with this routine, there's just kind of a lingering unease

So, I maintain my thought that the "exploitative" feel is completely subjective. I actually think that it was good audio to use for the purpose in which it was intended, because it was not something with a direct impact on the people she would be performing in front of. If she had taken audio from emergency calls about the tsunami in Japan, and then performed it in Japan, that would seem insensitive and wrong to me. If she had planned to skate this program up and down the eastern seaboard in the US, that would be wrong to me.

Most of the problem that I have with it is that it is a crutch for the routine, and gives her a pass on artistry which is what she should be using to convey the emotion. Perhaps she simply lacks the skill to do it in her performance alone, and needs the assist so people get a better feel for the meaning of her routine. I wish she had done it without the added audio, but not because of the content of the audio.

temadd

Final Flight
I am not offended by Evgenia's program but I find the choice of music extremely puzzling. This is a figure skating competition not drama school. The voice over is very inappropriate IMO and very depressing.

lady_bee

Medalist
Hey lady_bee thanks for the report!

What were your thoughts on Ashley and Adam's programs?

Ashley & Adam? They are always on my list of favorite skaters, so, don't expect fair judgement from me:biggrin:

I enjoyed Ashley's Exogenesis very much, and so did other audiences. I didn't expect so much from her, because, 1)the music belongs to Jeremy (at least for me), and 2) she wasn't ready when I saw her last year at the same Japan Open; however, she expressed the music very well and was so confident on the ice.
My seat was too far to see her famous "facial expression", but I was able to see her "body expression", which I believe more important than facial one. I love her grey dress, too.

It was unfortunate for Adam to skate 5th, because now, 5 days later, I can only remember his costume even though I am sure I liked his performance. Maybe because I was so happy (& relieved) to see Jeremy & Nobu did very well, and so excited to see Shoma's dramatic program. Compare to those performances by my emotional favorites, Adam's performance was little bit... maybe colorless?:think:.

Thank you for your report lady_bee, much appreciated. I know that Dai skated to Lilcac Wine but I heard that he did an encore
to Mambo I can't find a video and was wondering if it is true.

I didn't see him, because Daisuke had skated only for "Carnival on Ice", a kind of Gala which was held after Japan Open at the same venue. (I wanted to see the show, but I can't afford two events a day:sad4:) According to other web-site, he performed Mambo for encore which TV-Tokyo didn't air.

BTW, about Evgenia's program. I think most of the audience didn't know it was about 911. My friend, who went Japan Open with me, had no idea what it was about, though she's been a casual figure skating fan since Midori's time. I wonder whether Japanese media is not very interested in her, or just avoiding to touch sensitive issue. When they air her program on TV, the commentator described it was about a story of young girl who lost her lover by "accident", as it was just a traffic accident. Interesting:think:

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Ashley & Adam? They are always on my list of favorite skaters, so, don't expect fair judgement from me:biggrin:

I enjoyed Ashley's Exogenesis very much, and so did other audiences. I didn't expect so much from her, because, 1)the music belongs to Jeremy (at least for me), and 2) she wasn't ready when I saw her last year at the same Japan Open; however, she expressed the music very well and was so confident on the ice.
My seat was too far to see her famous "facial expression", but I was able to see her "body expression", which I believe more important than facial one. I love her grey dress, too.

It was unfortunate for Adam to skate 5th, because now, 5 days later, I can only remember his costume even though I am sure I liked his performance. Maybe because I was so happy (& relieved) to see Jeremy & Nobu did very well, and so excited to see Shoma's dramatic program. Compare to those performances by my emotional favorites, Adam's performance was little bit... maybe colorless?:think:.

I didn't see him, because Daisuke had skated only for "Carnival on Ice", a kind of Gala which was held after Japan Open at the same venue. (I wanted to see the show, but I can't afford two events a day:sad4:) According to other web-site, he performed Mambo for encore which TV-Tokyo didn't air.

BTW, about Evgenia's program. I think most of the audience didn't know it was about 911. My friend, who went Japan Open with me, had no idea what it was about, though she's been a casual figure skating fan since Midori's time. I wonder whether Japanese media is not very interested in her, or just avoiding to touch sensitive issue. When they air her program on TV, the commentator described it was about a story of young girl who lost her lover by "accident", as it was just a traffic accident. Interesting:think:
Actually, that is indeed the way Averbuch described the programm. He said that yes, the music is from the movie about 9/11 but the storyline behind is about tragic accidents in general: terrorist attacks, plane crashes, traffic etc., not directly about 9/11. I guess that is the reason they took one of the ideas

Last edited: