2016 Finlandia Trophy Mens FS | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2016 Finlandia Trophy Mens FS

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Looking at the protocols, Nathan could easily drop a quad points-wise anyway, if he'd get his stupid levels together :curse:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
comparisons can be drawn between Jin and Nathan. Both have Better SPs than LPs, both have very little in their LPs other than jumps, but I dunno, Jin sells it better. And his jumps are better.
Nathan has better skating skills normally, but we can't see that through the forest of crossovers that make up his LP at the moment.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So gathering all those base points on all those quads won Nathan finlandia. I hope he can eventually land all those quads with a program, and without hurting himself more. His extreme example really emphasizes the risk reward flaw in the scoring system. I like rewarding risk, but now will more people try jumps they cannot land cleanly because it shows you can win that way? Whyever do they not keep pcs marks down until they are deserved? Oh, judges....

The girls should definitely throw in quads and axels then, even if they cannot land them... just rotate them and take the fall... worth it.

What do you mean "now"? This has been happening since the scoring system started rewarding risk over quality.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Between Mika and Maxim, I hope both are going to do well this season and the Rus fed will stop heaping ridiculous amounts of pressure on one guy to be there golden boy and just support both for the talent they have (fat chance of that, but I can hope :slink: ).

They really do need to support all their talent and stop throwing their eggs all in one basket.

I mean, jeez, at least one of these guys will be working overtime to get Plushy his spot on the 2018 roster. :laugh:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
This is a sport, it's impossible to stop the developing process.

Well, that's true but it's not just a jump fest. So I'd grade the jumps even more harshly and make sure the rest is balanced. Otherwise a 5 messy quad program with not much else wins, which meh.

Eloyse

On the Ice
you mentioned that Nathan only landed 1 clean quad out f 5. I give you some reference.
What reference? Hanyu landed a clean loop and a clean salchow in his aci's free program, so that's two clean quads out of four.

DiamondDust

Final Flight
:dev2: While watching Maxim, I was kind of expecting Nathan to win with his quads. But I was hoping Maxim could pull something off. It's really frustrating that Nathan won with just... jumps (and a tiny bit of nice stsq/chsq)...tsk3 (if anything, I hope Yuzuru shows Nathan how it's done or maybe Patrick add quads to his programs). Anyways, I'm out of here. My regards to the medalists: Nathan, Patrick and Maxim .:bed:

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
What do you mean "now"? This has been happening since the scoring system started rewarding risk over quality.

And when was that, when Evan Lysacek won his OGM with absolutely 0 risk?

(Although maybe it's a useless example, because he didn't really have quality either...)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Looking at the protocols, Nathan could easily drop a quad points-wise anyway, if he'd get his stupid levels together :curse:

Jason Brown earned 23.2 at Lombardia v. 14.28 for Nathan. A difference of 8.92. So not quite a quad, but a decent triple axel at least, which is appropriate given he doesn't have another one.

sarama

Medalist
comparisons can be drawn between Jin and Nathan. Both have Better SPs than LPs, both have very little in their LPs other than jumps, but I dunno, Jin sells it better. And his jumps are better.
Nathan has better skating skills normally, but we can't see that through the forest of crossovers that make up his LP at the moment.

Well at the beginning of the season last year Boyang's FS was way worse than at 4cc, so probably even Nathan's will improve.
The FSs are worse than the SPs because it's probably impossible for now to do 4/5 quads and have choreography in 4.30 minutes.

liv

Record Breaker
I am critical of Nathan, but I also recognize his guts and ambition to do this. I think he will be able to do that program much better, but I wish he could add the other stuff. I loved his step sequence in his sp, so he has more to give, but I also wish he would take it more slowly! He has talent and there is time and I want to see him develop more before he is hurt again...

yyyskate

Record Breaker
What reference? Hanyu landed a clean loop and a clean salchow in his aci's free program, so that's two clean quads out of four.
like I said as reference, for details you can pull out their protocols.
my point is clear, Nathan landed 1 clean out of 5, but he still landed 4 difference quads, and fully rotated. it is sorta historical, and he deserve some love, and saying only 1 out of 5 landed clean to distract is really unnecessary and it is still early in the season.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is early season, I would not be so harsh on Nathan (yet). He probably would improve on it as the season progresses. So maybe he can do 5 quads later, who knows. Having 5 quads does not always look like it is beneficial BV wise, because he only did 1 3A. 5 quads + 1 3A is not that much different in BV with 4quads + 2 3A that Boyang or Yuzuru planned.

But at the same time I wish Nathan would tone it down a bit. Maybe not do the 4S because of his hip and giving out a clean performance with 4 quads first (?). It would reflect more on the score and help him in PCS. His PCS is lower than Boyang now when in my opinion he has better program components. So the messy skate doesn't help his PCS reputation too.

Hope you stay healthy kid. It is very ambitious and crazy risky but I am not going to lie I kind of root for you.

I was listening to Marina and Nathan talking in K&C. To me it sounded they were covering some of the values that were sacrificed a bit because Nathan improvised a tad after he'd had the falls.

Hey, the kid wanted to win. That was plain to me. And the plan is for him to do what he can today and improve it tomorrow. Looks to me like, anyhow.