2016 Skate Canada Men's SP | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Men's SP

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
To quote a famous politician here in the States, maybe Skate Canada is rigged ;-)

Like Skate America = rigged lol. For some reason home teams / skaters tend to skate better in with their fans behind them too. Kind of an insult though to consider the the said person making the quote as a politician. Though he may be the next president of the United States. I am scared; he might ban skating or put up a huge wall. What's next Johnny Weir and Evan Lycacek become best buds? But seriously it is an interesting pattern but we have to remember Russia, Canada, USA and Japan in particular design their GP events to favour their skaters in respect to competition and such.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
In fairness I should say I do think Patrick can skate not just the jumps but a stronger pc wise performance - it was like he wasn't as confident though he still was miles ahead. And yes Hanyu was also significantly ahead of the rest pc wise. Because Hanyu is so good he can still score well even though I don't think the music is that complementary to Hanyu's persona or style - and I don't know why I just don't like or get his costume. from a distance it l ooks like a poorly planned ukrainian dance outfit or folk look. I am not a great fan of Chan's " let's see what I can find in my closet" look either. Really strong field. Sad to see Han seemingly lost his way. Good to see Kevin fighting back and i know this is picky and may even sound mean because he seems like a nice guy but I, and this is really picky, find his hair very distracting and adds an awkwardness to his performance. Unless you are portraying a crazed maniac longish hair that looks like it lost a battle with the Vitamix blender just doesn't work.

noskates

Record Breaker
I agree with SkaterBoy. First of all, I really do NOT like white costumes on women OR men. It just doesn't present well on white ice. And Hanyu's music just doesn't do it for me. I look at his program and feel like he's just doing choreography, not feeling or skating to the music. Perhaps it's because he did have so much time off the ice and needs to grow into the music, but I was very surprised to see it for the first time.

Also, picky maybe, but agree about Kevin. I really get distracted from his skating because of his hair. Petty and picky, yes, but real nonetheless. When Mura came out I thought he was skating to some Samurai music or something - definitely not a tango.

The US men were just basically outskated on every level. I've followed Ross Miner for years and he's a beautiful skater but just never quite gets it together. Don't know that he has that many years left to do that. Grant is either "on" or "off" and last night he was surely off.

Looking forward to the long program to see how this all falls out. Sincerely hoping Patrick has a great skate.

noidont

Final Flight
I only LOVED Han Yan. Underscored in PCS by two points. This competition was otherwise a not-so-hot mess.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I cannot wait for the FP tonight. I'm pumped up. Ready to wave the Japanese and Canadian flag for Yuzuru and Kevin.

Of course that doesn't mean I'm not going to be super nervous.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I only LOVED Han Yan. Underscored in PCS by two points. This competition was otherwise a not-so-hot mess.

I am really concerned that he is missing his trade marked huge gorgeous 3A. Last Worlds was an aberration in a really bad day from which he must recover without lasting effect. The 3A is a must I want to see from him, hopefully today. Han is too talented not to continue to grow and succeed.

da96103

Record Breaker
I cannot wait for the FP tonight. I'm pumped up. Ready to wave the Japanese and Canadian flag for Yuzuru and Kevin.

Of course that doesn't mean I'm not going to be super nervous.

Can you wave a golden skate flag? We wanna see your flag in a video.

treeloving

Medalist
At first I am not sure if I like Yuzuru program or not, but after SP I could say that I love it. The program is really fresh and his dancing ability as well as other skills are improved drastically compare to PW.

Sackie

Medalist
Kind of feel sorry for Kevin here! He had a good short program and is sitting in 3rd place but with Hanyu right behind him no matter how well he does in the Free chances are he is dropping out of the medals! And he has to skate after Hanyu so he will probably know before he even skates that he has no chance! Too bad cause finishing on the podium would have been a real nice boost for his return!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Kind of feel sorry for Kevin here! He had a good short program and is sitting in 3rd place but with Hanyu right behind him no matter how well he does in the Free chances are he is dropping out of the medals! And he has to skate after Hanyu so he will probably know before he even skates that he has no chance! Too bad cause finishing on the podium would have been a real nice boost for his return!

I hope Kevin will go out and skate his heart out with no thought of any of these concerns of yours.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Who says he has no chance? He is less than a point behind Mura, and I will be shocked if Han Yan, Brezina, or Samohin go clean today. He has as good a chance at bronze as anyone else.

Sackie

Medalist
Who says he has no chance? He is less than a point behind Mura, and I will be shocked if Han Yan, Brezina, or Samohin go clean today. He has as good a chance at bronze as anyone else.
He may have a chance but not a good one! His consistency in the quads is not back where it was and up against Mura he would need all his Tech to be there since Mura can and probably will out do him in PCS!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think that'll change in the FS. You'd have to imagine G/P will get surpassed by the Italians, and I don't know if I/M can hold off both the Americans/Russians (here's hoping). Still, it's kinda crazy to see Canada leading 3/4 disciplines and 2nd in the other...

And I thought Skate America was successful for the Americans! Hope I don't jinx it for the Canucks! ;)

Skate America 2016 being as successful as it was for the US skaters is definitely an anomaly---hasn't happened in ages.

deedee1

Record Breaker
It's not over till it's over. ;) Medals are up for a grab for anyone. :biggrin: Go boys, GOOoooo! :clapper::clapper: