2017 Worlds Pairs SP | Page 66 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Pairs SP

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
yup ... and you know, there is a reason why they removed the 3t from their LP since Nationals.... it was hurting Meagan's foot... so kudos to them, considering Eric cannot do the lutz with his hip, to bring up the 3Ts, even if Meagan is not really comfortable with it... They are fighting and they could easily have withdrawn (wouldn't be surprised if they did if Eric is worse tomorrow)

However, I hope they keep the fight so Canada survives and sends 3 teams next year. It would be heartbreaking not to be able to do so for not only one pair but two.

Even the 3T is a struggle.. seems the hip injury is causing him not to "check" his free leg on his jump landings, hence why he's leaning forward (saw it in practices too). That must bequite painful, and psychologically mess with you knowing that every landing could potentially hurt.

It's a good thing D/R didn't WD given how S/B skated. It'll be a fight tomorrow for Canada to maintain 3 spots, but that's a good goal for them in the current circumstances... the podium is likely out of reach given D/R's condition and S/H, S/M and T/M being so comfortably ahead.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Both of you are talking about something else. The OP was talking about Olys spots, since now if you add up all the spots, you get 17.

No, gravy was commenting on the Multiple Spots bits where the OP (who is me, actually) had some of the teams who didn't make the FS with 18 placement points. Gravy accidentally incorrectly thought those 18s should be 16s.

Neither of those comments were about the 17 spots thing.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
No, gravy was commenting on the Multiple Spots bits where the OP (who is me, actually) had some of the teams who didn't make the FS with 18 placement points. Gravy accidentally incorrectly thought those 18s should be 16s.

Neither of those comments were about the 17 spots thing.

Yes, but the poster Gravy replied to was counting the spots for the Olympics, and when he counted all the spots given (3 for China, Russia etc.), he came to number 17, which is one more than the number of spots given.

But if you simply wanted to correct Gravy, you're right.

ivanja

On the Ice
Country
Croatia
For fun, 2018 Olympic and Worlds spots if the SP standings were the final standings:

3 spots

China (1 + 4 = 5)
Russia (3 + 5 = 8)
Canada (6 + 7 = 13)

2 spots

Germany (2 + 18 = 20)
USA (8 + 18 = 26)
Italy (9 + 11 = 20)
France (10 + 18 = 28)

Olympic Spots (16 determined here out of 20 total, remaining 4 at Nebelhorn)

(1) China
(2) China
(3) China
(4) Russia
(5) Russia
(6) Russia
(7) Canada
(8) Canada
(9) Canada
(10) Germany
(11) Germany
(12) USA
(13) USA
(14) Italy
(15) Italy
(16) France

Technically there's only 16 quota spots from Worlds and there's no clear detail on what happens if the spots based on Multiple Spot Allotment exceeds 16. Either France, as the last country right now, would only get one spot (which seems dumb) or only 3 spots would be available at Nebelhorn (which also seems dumb).

Hello! According to the rules France misses out on second berth.

"If the application of the above procedure results in more than twenty-four (24) Ladies or Men, sixteen (16) Pairs, or nineteen (19) Ice Dance Couples being eligible for direct entry, the last ISU Members to reach the qualifying limit would not be permitted to enter a Skater/Pair/Couple that would cause the limit to be exceeded."

It's feasible that they can overtake USA after free skate though.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Even the 3T is a struggle.. seems the hip injury is causing him not to "check" his free leg on his jump landings, hence why he's leaning forward (saw it in practices too). That must bequite painful, and psychologically mess with you knowing that every landing could potentially hurt.

It's a good thing D/R didn't WD given how S/B skated. It'll be a fight tomorrow for Canada to maintain 3 spots, but that's a good goal for them in the current circumstances... the podium is likely out of reach given D/R's condition and S/H, S/M and T/M being so comfortably ahead.

i don't mind if they don't medal this year... as long as they do next year ... ;)

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Yes, but the poster Gravy replied to was counting the spots for the Olympics, and when he counted all the spots given (3 for China, Russia etc.), he came to number 17, which is one more than the number of spots given.

The poster gravy replied to was me, Alchamei. I'm the one who wrote the post gravy was replying to.

My post focused on two different things:

1) cataloging potential multiple spots for 2018 Olympics/2018 Worlds

AND

2) cataloging the total quota spots for the Olympics

Gravy's comment was on the first part, not the second part.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I'm still in shock, don't know what to say about Ksenia & Fedor. :sad4:, but I thought their display of unity in the k&c was nice. Hope they're not losing their nerve prior to LP.
Happy for T/M, also really sorry for D/R. Well, I've got to hand it to S/H. Deservedly in first place.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Hello! According to the rules France misses out on second berth.

"If the application of the above procedure results in more than twenty-four (24) Ladies or Men, sixteen (16) Pairs, or nineteen (19) Ice Dance Couples being eligible for direct entry, the last ISU Members to reach the qualifying limit would not be permitted to enter a Skater/Pair/Couple that would cause the limit to be exceeded."

It's feasible that they can overtake USA after free skate though.

I knew I had seen something like that somewhere, but couldn't find it in a document. Where's the source of that comment, please, so I can link it in the 2018 Spots thread?

ETA: Just found it in the Special Regulations and Technical Rules document. But thanks for pointing it out. I was going crazy looking for it a few days ago and gave up because naaaaaaaaaah that's not realistic to happen (lol)

Last edited:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
The poster gravy replied to was me, Alchamei. I'm the one who wrote the post gravy was replying to.

My post focused on two different things:

1) cataloging potential multiple spots for 2018 Olympics/2018 Worlds

AND

2) cataloging the total quota spots for the Olympics

Gravy's comment was on the first part, not the second part.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. :thumbsup:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

@Chemistry66 is right.

I was incorrectly commenting on the points you get when you don't qualify for the free which in turn affects the point total and how many spots your country gets.

bobbob

Medalist
It seems like the shady scoring at Euros really helped European teams...Tarasova/Morosov went from getting similar PCS as Yu/Jin to getting like 1 point higher PER component...James/Cipres, Z/Enbert, all benefitted to...

Scoring wise, I thought it was mostly fair though except Sui/Han and Yu/Zhang should be like 2 points higher each. Anyways, best pairs SP ever. Kudos to those dealing with injuries for fighting it out as well.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Protocols are hilarious!

S/M got pozitive GOE for side by side 3S.

T/M got pozitive GOE for 2ft throw and side by side spin.

Sui/Han should lead by a bigger margin.
The GOE is ridiculous

OMG... this is ridiculous. Two +2s and a +1 for a two-footed jump!?!?!?
Three +2's and three +1s for a two-footed throw?!?!?!
Four +2's and all positive GOE except a 0 for a spin that was definitely out of sync?!

Let's add more:
J/C getting -2/-1 on their twist fall.
A judge giving -1 on S/M's 3ATh that had a hand down, foot down and a very obviously telegraphed entrance?

@skatingprotocol is gonna have a field day! :laugh:

Hey judges... obvious error = -GOE... especially in the SP. Is it really that hard?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
OMG... this is ridiculous. Two +2s and a +1 for a two-footed jump!?!?!?
Three +2's and three +1s for a two-footed throw?!?!?!
Four +2's and all positive GOE except a 0 for a spin that was definitely out of sync?!

Let's add more:
J/C getting -2/-1 on their twist fall.
A judge giving -1 on S/M's 3ATh that had a hand down, foot down and a very obviously telegraphed entrance?

@skatingprotocol is gonna have a field day! :laugh:

Hey judges... obvious error = -GOE... especially in the SP. Is it really that hard?

i also have an issue with giving s/m a 10 for interpretation... not with bruno's dancing lol

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
there would have been a disater for our spots if they WD'ed :slink:
another huge thans to Zhenya & the team:bow::ghug:

Right enough. Hadn't thought of it like that.

Yeah, practice is far too late to call up a replacement.

Natalia and Sasha did very well. But, it would have been too much pressure on them in the FS if they alone were the ones that the Fed were relying on to earn the slots.

CaroLiza_fan

moriel

Record Breaker
My goodness! I never heard that.

In that case, I'm surprised that they even competed this evening.

Just shows how tough Pairs skaters are!

CaroLiza_fan

Well since Olympic spots are disputed here... I suppose noone will skip, because if their country loses a spot, it could be THEIR spot next year.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well since Olympic spots are disputed here... I suppose noone will skip, because if their country loses a spot, it could be THEIR spot next year.

And that is also a way of looking at it that I never thought of.

Yep. The people making the selections for the Olympics will look back at recent results at the Majors. And if you don't have a result, that will certainly place you at a disadvantage.

CaroLiza_fan