2017 CS Lombardia Trophy Ladies SP | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2017 CS Lombardia Trophy Ladies SP

Kittosuni

Medalist
Am I the only one that things that Alya should have had higher PCS??
Very sad for Alya today, she must redeem herself in the FS tomorrow so that the Fed doesn't stop hyping her...

Nah I think the 2 point difference to Wakaba and 4 points difference to Kostner is just right. But overall PCS here is just high.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
My own scores from what I viewed today;

WH 69 given the UR 3T
CK 67 as no 3/3
AZ 65 2a fall, cautiously skated and behind her music

The tech panel must have had wine with dinner last evening. :slink:
Seems harsh, given her 3lz/3loop

ice coverage

Record Breaker
and despite of it being used by Ashley, Virtue/Moir is a very memorable way on ice, I still picture Lacey and Danny from US SYTYCD season 3 dancing that samba:love:

Just want to be clear that Virtue/Moir used Hip Hip Chin Chin before Ashley Wagner did.

And in reference to her own version of HHCC, Ashley said that she wanted (I'm paraphrasing) to channel Tessa or to find her inner Tessa or something like that.

(Sorry, have not read the whole thread. And have not seen anything from Lombardia. Just sometimes have seen misimpressions :roll5: on GS in the past that Ashley used the music before V/M did.)

Hannah555

Ava artwork by talented ShampooNeko
Final Flight
Very sad for Alya today, she must redeem herself in the FS tomorrow so that the Fed doesn't stop hyping her...

You keep calling her Alya but everyone in her team and friends call her Alina... I don't think she likes this short name... (my apologies if I'm wrong)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Neither can I. Someone else on another forum suggested separate panels for TES and PCS. It apparently was done once a while ago, and better reflected PCS by skaters. But would that really eliminate reputation inflation?

It might. Sonia Bianchetti said long ago that this scoring system would make it impossible to the judges to pay attention to so many artistic elements that they're supposed to be evaluating independently on the day. At least when they have to post their scores so quickly, plus do all the GOE evaluating, etc. So it could be why they're relying on reputation and whatever they're expecting from that particular performer.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Just want to be clear that Virtue/Moir used Hip Hip Chin Chin before Ashley Wagner did.

And in reference to her own version of HHCC, Ashley said that she wanted (I'm paraphrasing) to channel Tessa or to find her inner Tessa or something like that.

(Sorry, have not read the whole thread. And have not seen anything from Lombardia. Just sometimes have seen misimpressions :roll5: on GS in the past that Ashley used the music before V/M did.)

apologies if the order I used offended you! That was definitely not an intention, I am fully aware that Tessa and Scott used 'Hip hip chin chin' first and became the referential point of that music, even for other skaters (like Ashley you mentioned), it was just accidental order I used to reference memorable HHCC programs to get to the point of SYTYCD performance to that song:)

Ziotic

Medalist

Sadly, I feel she was over scored on PCS. I found her quite slow, behind the music and frequently with a vacant expression.

euroskate

Final Flight
zagitova was frightened at the beginning and cautious trough her skate. debut in seniors with a lot of very good fellow skaters. better her than at GP. she is no roboter and i am sure she is never ever going to fall again on a 2A... didnt really get the "swan" feeling and i was also not sure what she was portraiing. a swan or a dancer or just a skater

higuchi i enjoyed and she enoyed herself. was very present and connecting to the audience. i think she is a lock for one of those 2 japanese olympic spots

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
My biggest issue with Alina's skating is that it's so choppy and busy. If she held a position for more than a couple seconds maybe it would be interesting. I really wanted to see a fierce Black Swan but it's not there right now.

frida80

Record Breaker
It might. Sonia Bianchetti said long ago that this scoring system would make it impossible to the judges to pay attention to so many artistic elements that they're supposed to be evaluating independently on the day. At least when they have to post their scores so quickly, plus do all the GOE evaluating, etc. So it could be why they're relying on reputation and whatever they're expecting from that particular performer.

I think that's a fair point. But wouldn't that required a lot more judges? The average comp has 7 or 8 judges. I do think it would reduce judging time, though.

gold12345

Medalist
I too was expecting a spitfire on the ice given the hype. She is a spit of a thing in terms of stature, but sadly, no fire today. Perhaps in the FS?

There are a lot of expectations for Zagitova, so it's understandable if she was highly concentrated on the elements. Plus, with the extreme backloading, the end of the program is for elements with not much time to be fiery and fierce. She is just starting out though.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Really? Alina always seems to bring fire to me when I see her
Zagitova's main problem is that her skating skills are just not that good yet (and she was really quite generously judged on skating skills in this event ...).
They're trying to "hide" this shortcoming with busy programs. She's a decent skater for her age but she doesn't get the time she would need to develop her skating skills imho, because of the upcoming Olympics. Understandable and it might pay off. If it pays off we might never see what kind of skater she could become ... just think about that.
But she's going to win this event on TES in the FS, but certainly not on PCS. She's no short program skater (this season), although her SP is better than her FS. I think a frantic black swan is a decent approach to the theme. The swan is becoming insane after all.

pearly

Record Breaker
I really do not find Zagitova's SP special at all. No connection to the music.

But she will get better - this is her first international senior competition and it's early in the season. She's consistent and I think she'll deliver when it matters.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think that's a fair point. But wouldn't that required a lot more judges? The average comp has 7 or 8 judges. I do think it would reduce judging time, though.

Well, maybe split those 7 or 9 into those focusing on TES or PC? And what about the alternates? I'm starting to think it could work.

rosy14

Final Flight
Liza, what happened? You looked so great and secure in the test skate.

At least this was just another test, essentially. There's still time to stabilize.

Lost of focus ?That is: less focused here that in Sochi, because there she must impress the Russian technicians, coaches and Federation officials ?

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I am kinda tired being "that guy" who defends a jump as clean when everyone sees it as UR... :palmf: but, I really don't think Wakaba's 3T was UR

I'll see myself out

:scard8:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I think Zagitova's team should temper the ambition with her crazy 2A entrance. It did not work in Sochi. It did not work here. With a normal safe entry she would have got 4.5 instead of 1.2 for axel with another half point in pcs for the clean skate. So she would be a leader with something like 75.1 Not that I agree with the scores of the top 3. They all are 3-4 points higher vs. what I saw. My scores would be: Wakaba - 70, Caro and Alina - 68.

Very sad about Liza. Looks like she has not got her mojo back yet. She needs to impress during LP or judges won't take her seriously later on. And that's the problem if she aims at the spot in the team. Russian #3 will be highly disadvantaged. Making such mistakes as she did will mean staying very very low in the international pecking order.