2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 109 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

frida80

Record Breaker
They actually had 2 stunt dancers in that movie.

Actually three. Marine Jahan was the dancer, Sharon Shapiro did the huge leap at the audition and male break dancer Crazy legs did the crazy back spin during the audition. I’ve never seen a woman pull off that move like that. (Going to start looking again, though...)

So yes, they could’ve found a small man that could pull it off. But they probably had their stunt skater do a 3A on the harness and edited the harness out.

- - - Updated - - -

:eek:topic: Flashback :eek:topic:

This movie is before my time but as a tiny kid I fell in love with watching the record player work and my mom had this soundtrack on vinyl and it was always the one I wanted to hear. What a feeling :dance3:

Back to topic....which American girl could best pull off a Flashdance Ex?

Ashley. Full Stop.

mrrice

Record Breaker

This movie is before my time but as a tiny kid I fell in love with watching the record player work and my mom had this soundtrack on vinyl and it was always the one I wanted to hear. What a feeling :dance3:

Currently...Ashley Wagner and Kaetlyn Osmond(Though she's not American) are the only "Singles" skaters I can think of with the moves and maturity to pull off a program like "Maniac" I would imagine there are several Ice Dancers who could pull it off. Madison Chock would be great....:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OyRL48ADjQ

Eeyora

Final Flight

Ashley or even Mirai. They’ve experienced the underdog story and both moved out to accomplish their dream..

I always wanted Rudy Gailindo to perform to “What a Feeling”

Here’s Claudia Leistners exhibition from 1989 Worlds

https://youtu.be/430VNH3Ao0U

Shayuki

Record Breaker
TRUE!!!! Hanyu's problem is that he's never really been down has he?

Well, he did have that one collision... Though I guess it(too) really helped with his popularity in the end.

In my opinion, Ashley should skate to her style of programs. Don't have very many ladies at all who can deliver what she can.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In my opinion, Ashley should skate to her style of programs. Don't have very many ladies at all who can deliver what she can.

:agree: Don't know if you meant it this way, but IMO it's an indication of why Ashley is making a good choice in skating to HHCC and MR :drama::love::rock:

I do understand why people feel disappointed in her choice. But if it boosts her confidence, helps her focus on good technique, and lets her perform with the emotional depth and resonance she's so marvelous at, I'm for it.

Her exhibitions tend to ratchet up the sass and danciness, so yes, I agree with Frida80 that the answer to the question of "which American girls could best skate to FD?" is "Ashley.... full stop."

Tulipstar

Medalist
YES. This.

Of course, all credit to her for attempting to push the envelope. In Gold's absence, this action will be sorely needed to push everyone else on the domestic level. But it will not be a magic pill to Nagasu's historic UR/consistency issue...I mean, just think. The pressure of Nationals, of making the Olympic team...a recent history of struggles at that competition...and you suddenly want to push THREE 3As? Easier said than done, I'm afraid...

This is NOT to say she shouldn't go for it or try if she feels so inclined. She has little to lose now, so depending on her state of mind it could actually work in her favor. But...I think her fans could possibly be setting themselves up for disappointment if they get *TOO* excited now...

It would just be awesome in my view, but don't want to push her to do anything and I won't be affected emotionally if it doesn't happen.

lappo

Final Flight
Apparently (I got it from FSU right now) Karen has changed her FS to "Slow dancing in the big city". Off to search the music...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That movie score is by Bill Conti, who did scores for Rocky, For Your Eyes Only (James Bond film) and The Right Stuff, which won him an Oscar. Good move by Karen!