Amber Glenn: 2024 Interview | Golden Skate

Interview Amber Glenn: 2024 Interview

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

USA's Amber Glenn recently capped off her turbulent season with a respectable tenth-place finish at the 2024 World Figure Skating Championships. It didn't come easy, however. Earlier this fall, the 24-year-old had a collision with another skater during practice. This resulted in a concussion and a left orbital bone fracture. As a result, she withdrew from the Challenger series to recover and only had a week to prepare for her first competition of the season: Skate America.

Skate America was an important event for Glenn as it was taking place in Allen, Texas, a mere 15 minutes from her hometown of Plano. At this event, Glenn scored a new personal best in the short program. While the free skate was not as clean, she landed her first solid triple Axel in competition. Unfortunately, mistakes in the second half of the program kept her off the podium.

While she had her best free skate of the season at the Grand Prix in Espoo, Finland, her biggest success of the season was winning her first U.S. National title in January. This made her the first U.S. women's champion to openly identify as queer.

In this interview Glenn reflects in detail on her season and what winning the national title meant to her. We also talk about her goals and objectives for the upcoming season as one thing is clear for skater: she will keep moving forward and plans to improve her content for the 2024-25 season. She also shares that she will get two new programs during the off season and reveals which choreographers she will be working with.

Additionally, she contemplates on how coming out in 2019 affected her life, both on and off the ice, and how being an inspiration for other drives her forward. Many of her team and training mates have spoken very appreciatively of Glenn recently, and the skater explains why it is so important to her to be approachable and helpful for younger skaters.

We also learn how a perfect day of relaxation looks like for Glenn, and about her immediate plans after coming back home from the World Championships.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Is there a transcript? Would love to read Glenn's interview! Always liked her, but she sure made a splash this season even if she underperformed a big time.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is there a transcript? Would love to read Glenn's interview! Always liked her, but she sure made a splash this season even if she underperformed a big time.
There is a read-along transcript on youtube, but nothing transcribed "word-for-word."

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I love Amber, she is so authentic. I have no other word for it, She reminds me of a very good friend of mine who befriended me at a time I was all alone in a completely new environment and did not know whom I could approach and she just came and approached me. Still one of my best friends. Kudos!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Amber is able to work on her mental game, despite her ADHD and concussions, which can complicate the matter. She knows the audience wants her to succeed and she needs to believe it too. No more "imposter syndrome" - she is the real deal.

Team USA is lucky to have her as a mentor to younger skaters.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Amber is able to work on her mental game, despite her ADHD and concussions, which can complicate the matter. She knows the audience wants her to succeed and she needs to believe it too. No more "imposter syndrome" - she is the real deal.

Team USA is lucky to have her as a mentor to younger skaters.

I've been wondering if Amber read or heard about a program Deanna found for Maxime to help with his ADHD. It involved improving the length of time one can focus, by a few seconds at a time at first, I believe. Who knows? but wow it may have helped.

My favorite part of this interview was when Amber talked about why she tries to create a safe space to encourage and lift up other skaters ... her competitors. It's very inspiring.

As for "imposter syndrome." I like a recent instagram from Ashley Wagner. My laptop wouldn't let me link, but it's short:

"Nah girl.
You have what it takes.
Stand in that.
Own that.
Believe that.
Trust that.
Lean into that."

I really like the progression here. Especially not ending with "believe that." So many talk about believing as the end step, but how about going further ... learning to trust the believing, and then leaning into it. Making it yours. ❤️

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One thing I really got from this interview is how caring Amber is and how focused she is on others. I also found her very honest and articulate. I wish her continued success!

Same!

Triple Axel or not, I really enjoy watching her skate. I loved both her programs this year. I know the FS music has been used a lot, but I never tired of it. Same with "Rain, in your black eyes" :biggrin:

But here short program was so explosive and powerful. I hope to see that again next season!