Kostner's plan for the Lutz in 2018? | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Kostner's plan for the Lutz in 2018?

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
The level of fear some people have over a not yet won golden medal is absurd, just saying.

Carolina, you do you!

:hap10:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I don't see fear, i see realism. it's not a fairy scenario to think that Kostner will more than likely get a medal and maybe the gold. For the gold and silver, she need the luck to see Medvedeva and Zagitova fall. but the bronze is hers if she's clean (and if Osmond does her usual FS). No doubt that she will take bronze and maybe silver if she upgrade the content with 3F-3T in the two programs. She already get +13 on GOEs with the easiest content, the easiest execution and not clean execution, and 75 PCS with big errors (it's just so good when your name is Kostner) . So judges will be more than happy to give her cosmic candies at Olympics.

msadot

On the Ice
I don't see fear, i see realism. it's not a fairy scenario to think that Kostner will more than likely get a medal and maybe the gold.

Glad that finally someone sees it. I slightly disagree with the "most likely": SURELY she'll medal. :)

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
My main point wasn't even about fear of Carolina getting the gold, but maybe that someone else won't get theirs. Isn't it a lot better to watch the Olympics and actually be on the edge of your seat until the last moment? For me it's a lot more interesting to see other skaters stepping up than just expect more or less the same outcome from past competitions - which isn't a slight against Evgenia, or Alina, or whatever girl that won.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
If she was Russian, she wouldn't have got a spot for Sochi.

Debatable. She would have won Russia the third spot by placing second at 2013 Worlds. I think she would have been sent as the third entry :)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Debatable. She would have won Russia the third spot by placing second at 2013 Worlds. I think she would have been sent as the third entry :)

Yeah debatable. But when i say that she wouldn't have got a spot, i only talk about the Olympic season (with the two spots, Sotnikova and Lipnitskaya results, and Kostner results before Sochi). But sure, we can take the previous season, because it can give her a spot.:sarcasm:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Yeah debatable. But when i say that she wouldn't have got a spot, i only talk about the Olympic season (with the two spots, Sotnikova and Lipnitskaya results, and Kostner results before Sochi). But sure, we can take the previous season, because it can give her a spot.:sarcasm:

We can all can twist the what if scenario for our desiree outcome though :) both me and you are doing it.
Anyhow, back on the subject, will we see a 3Lz in the free? She did improved her content in the SP at nationals. If she intends to do the 3Lz now is the perfect time to try it

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Isn't it a lot better to watch the Olympics and actually be on the edge of your seat until the last moment? For me it's a lot more interesting to see other skaters stepping up than just expect more or less the same outcome from past competitions - which isn't a slight against Evgenia, or Alina, or whatever girl that won.

I would be more than happy if i were wrong about Kostner, Medvedeva and Zagitova.

ask

Match Penalty
Kostner just stepped up her game and people complaint she is maybe displacing someone from the medal stand for being Kostner. I mean, what the hell? Lol. I feel like I am arguing with children.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
And here it is: both 3Lz and 3F+3T back. The Olympic season becomes more and more interesting :popcorn:

Ballade88

On the Ice
It is looking good that's for sure. I believe the judges willgive it to her if she is close but I am cheering for someone else this time. Kostner has had many opportunitiesand my recollection was kind of lucky to go to one olympics as she lost the national title. She has won so many medals with less than stellar performances and were reasonably other skaters could have won a medal in place of her. I like her skating, don't misunderstand me. She is one of the skate who seems to peak or get the right breaks to win - now there is a difference between breaks and what I mean is there is good reason to place another skater ahead of her.. But I think she has a good chance of medalling even gold with the Russian ladies injured - Evgenia, very young and inexperienced Alina and blah -Maria. Crown Carolina Queen!

I agree with this. I have always had mixed feelings regarding Carolina. On the one hand, she is a great skater who provided a unique sense of style and performance in an era of cookie cutter programs. On the other hand, she is often not judged for what she actually does on the ice (much like Patrick Chan pre-Sochi), and has arguably been gifted more than one or two medals throughout her career. Ironically, Sochi was one of the rare occasions that she wasn't overscored and I felt she should have been given more in comparison to others that night. In my opinion, the argument that she deserves to be on top simply due to her PCS scores despite having much easier tech content isn't as strong when I remember that the great artistic skaters of the past did not have that luxury. If that were the case, Michelle Kwan should have won every competition. Michelle really had to work hard to keep up with the technical content. I hope that if Carolina medals, it is with a performance like she did in Sochi. The most impressive performances are the ones that are artistic without sacrificing the technical content of the programs.

mateusp1

On the Ice
And she landed a beautiful 3Lz during the LP... Not telegraphed at all... Recieved +3 from all judges... She also got +3 for her Steps and Choreo Sequence

She had a fall in the second 3S... After the program finished, she landed a 3S2T :love:

halulupu

Final Flight
beautiful lutz out of steps (first time ever in her career, so crazy !! lol).the rest was bit meh
but we know now she can deliver 3f3t and a +2/+3 worthy 3lz in competition which puts her very much in the contention of bronze and silver if not gold for O.
pressure is on osmond and the Russian girls now

ask

Match Penalty
Amazing quality and amazing technique.
Carolina is the best technician of all time. No other girl can even dream of doing this after 15 years of senior skating. Her GOE should be through the roof. This is living proof of correct technique.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I mean, she just added a 3-3 in the SP, put the lutz back in the FS. She's stepping up her game, isn't she? :agree:

(now let's wait and see if she manages to keep improving in the next competitions.)

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Kostner just stepped up her game and people complaint she is maybe displacing someone from the medal stand for being Kostner. I mean, what the hell? Lol. I feel like I am arguing with children.

No, people are not complaining that she is "maybe displacing someone from the medal stand for being Kostner". We're complaining that she's held up constantly for no reason at all.
1) People talk about her great GOE. Why is that?

Unexpected / creative / difficult entry Nope. Barely any transitions at all. Very telegraphed entrance to every jump
Clear recognizable steps/free skating movements immediately preceding element If you count crossovers and two foot skating as recognizable steps and free skating movements, then sure. Oh wait, they're not. Sorry. Not getting this one.
Varied position in the air / delay in rotation Nope, Carolina does not have that. She has neither delayed rotation or tanos or rippons
Great height and/or distance I wouldn't say that she has "great" height or distance. Good maybe, but not great
Superior extension on landing / creative exit No creative exits... (see Tarakanova, etc.)
Superior flow in and out (and in-between in jump combinations / sequences) This is probably the only GOE bullet that she consistently hits
Now 1-2 bullets checked, which is what Carolina's doing, is +1 GOE BEFORE factoring. So why is she getting huge GOEs on her jumps? Beats me.

2) PCS. Seems to me that people say Carolina's an artistic skater because she's doing a 6.0-type program. I've tried to find her artistry and I just can't. Where is all of the artistry that everyone's talking about? All I see are bland programs (low grades in IN and PE) transitionless skates (low grades in TR) boring choreography (low grades in CH) and the same facial expression throughout her entire career (low grades in PE). Her best category is Musicality, but that's not saying much.

3) The amount that she's held up. I'll just list a few competitions:
2014 Worlds: She got a bronze medal with 4 mistakes in the free skate. She had a fall on 3T in her flip and toe combo and she singled not one, not two, but THREE jumps. Oh, and she got two 10s for that skate for a PCS score of nearly 74 pts. That's what world medal skates look like? Could've fooled me...
2012 Worlds: Better than 2014, but that's not saying much. No 3-3 combo? No problem is you're Carolina Kostner. Her five-triple program somehow won this competition. She doubled out on a flip as well and had a spin that was level 1 in her FS. World champion material right there, I tell you. Not.
2017 NHK Trophy: Shaking my head. That was a mess of a performance and she somehow got the silver medal behind only Evgenia Medvedeva? And got that high of PCS? I don't know what to think about this...

So no, we're not upset about Carolina. We're upset at the absurd way that she's held up all of the time, and we're worried that it will happen again at the Olympics and possibly take a medal away from someone more deserving, depending on the skates shown. I'd be fine with her getting a medal if she actually merited it, but so far this season, she hasn't. You can't compete a 6.0-type program in 2017 and suddenly get scores in the 200s, the 210s to be exact, unless your name is Carolina Kostner. And there's no end in sight, it appears.

It really is disgusting when you actually stop to think about it.

ask

Match Penalty
Lol. Maybe she should fart and pick her nose while jumping. That should earn some extra GOE for varied positions. If ugly tanos can earn GOE for varied position, what else wouldn't?

There is some children who think tiny jumps with helicoper tanos are the only way to jump. So crazy. No more arguing with children.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I mean, she just added a 3-3 in the SP, put the lutz back in the FS. She's stepping up her game, isn't she? :agree:

(now let's wait and see if she manages to keep improving in the next competitions.)

It’s exciting to see. I’m in the camp of thinking she was getting rather generous scores for flawed performances earlier this season but if she ups her game and can land it then why not give her huge scores. I’ve always loved her skating so if she can bring it then that would be awesome to see. Her Ave Maria was a highlight in my list of Sochi Memories. I think the judges will give her a lot of love in Korea and we’ll probably see a very generous Italian judge there :laugh:

Is she planning on Worlds too?

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
It’s exciting to see. I’m in the camp of thinking she was getting rather generous scores for flawed performances earlier this season but if she ups her game and can land it then why not give her huge scores. I’ve always loved her skating so if she can bring it that it would be awesome to see. Her Ave Maria was a highlight in my list of Sochi Memories. I think the judges will give her a lot of love in Korea and we’ll probably see a very generous Italian judge there :laugh:

Is she planning on Worlds too?

I have no idea if she's going - I mean, if she gets a gold in Korea, maybe she'll watch from the sidelines, otherwise I think she's going.

On another note, I do think she's a bit held up from time to time, but eh, that happens SO much these days, I don't care about it when it comes to Carolina. I don't care in the least. She gave an entire life for the sport and she came back because she loves it, at this point I don't think even she cares about what the judges want to give her - and it's not like she can control them...