2018 Canadian Championships Gen Info | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Championships Gen Info

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
Well if Osmond or Chan skated super poorly I could see the Canadian big wigs finding a way to send them. I can't see Virtue and Moir falling any lower than third with four or five falls.

Osmond skating so poorly as to need to Wagner herself to South Korea? Really?

Virtue & Moir have this in the bag.

I can't speak about Chan, I don't watch men's skating.

- - - Updated - - -

I do have to say everybody this thread is for general info folks, not guesstimates of what will transpire this weekend. Thanks.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
But Chartrand has fallen so far; she is much closer to Larkyn than she is Gabby. THe more we see of her the more it is clear she is faltering.

Disagreed entirely. You speak as if Skate Canada had just ended and you saw Alaine at her worst in 3 seasons.

Did you watch Alaine at NHK? She fought back in that FS in a style reminiscent of her 2015-16 season. But I mean if we want to compare to Larkyn then Alaine's latest score (159.36 at NHK) is more than 20 points ahead of Larkyn's best score this season (136.82 at Nepela) which is also her PB. Alaine's ACI17 score is slightly higher than her NHK score. Larkyn isn't the biggest threat to Alaine. Pineault and Long could be. More likely Cotop though she is only fighting for a JWC spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sackie

Medalist
Well if Osmond or Chan skated super poorly I could see the Canadian big wigs finding a way to send them. I can't see Virtue and Moir falling any lower than third with four or five falls.

Not so true! Canada has in the past sent lesser known skaters to big events when they have beaten the Big names at Nationals. Ie Jennifer Robinson over Josee Chouinard, Ben Ferreira over Jeffrey Buttle, and Susan Humpfries over Karen Preston.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I live in Canada, and I find it hard to watch Canadian Nationals on TV.

For the first time in my life, I won't be able to watch the Canadian Championships on TV as I don't have TSN or CTV Two. :sad4:

Scout

Final Flight
Not so true! Canada has in the past sent lesser known skaters to big events when they have beaten the Big names at Nationals. Ie Jennifer Robinson over Josee Chouinard, Ben Ferreira over Jeffrey Buttle, and Susan Humpfries over Karen Preston.

Not the same. I believe two of your examples refer to worlds selection, not Olympics selection, which is a whole different ball game.

Also, in none of those example did the "big name" have a solid international record (when ben was selected for worlds because he placed higher than buttle at nationals, buttle hadn't yet won his world or olympic medals). Patrick and Kaetlyn's international accomplishments, even in just 2016-2017, are unmatched by any other Canadian. They are in a class of their own within Canada. Their spots on the Olympic team are locked, even if they don't place top 2 or 3.

indigo

Rinkside
Hi all,

I have one ticket for sale for the senior free programs - Section 108 Row 14 in the morning (women/dance) and Section 111 Row 14 (pairs/men) in the afternoon. Price negotiable, and willing to sell separately if someone only wants to come for one session.

(Apologies if this should be somewhere else - please redirect me if so. :))

singerskates

On the Ice
Fans if you didn't already know how to recognize one figure skating jump from another, read the following;

I'm an adult figure skater, so I can tell you the differences between a Flip and a Toe Loop, and a Loop and Salchow jump.

CCW=counter clockwise
CW= clockwise

If a skater jumps and spins CCW, as Patrick Chan and Gabby Daleman do, the following is how the jumps are done except for the Axel, which everybody knows because it always takes off forward... Note each jump requires the skater to deeply bend on the take off leg and the spring up.

Flip: turns into the flip can either start from a forward left outside 3 turn or a forward right inside Mohawk, which both put the skater on a back left inside edge to take off when the skater picks in with the right skate's to pick.

Toe Loop: can be entered via a forward left outside 3 turn and then cross the right foot over the left placing it on the back outside edge, or from a right forward inside 3 turn which also gets the skater on a right back outside edge, and then bend the skating leg and reach back with the left skate and pick in.

Loop: Enterence starts from either a right back crosscut going CCW holding a deep right back outside edge on the right leg with the left foot crossed in front, or from a forward right inside 3 turn using the right leg. No picking in with a the left skate/ foot.

Salchow: usually starts from a forward left outside 3 turn putting the skater on a back left inside edge on the left leg/skate, or from a forward right inside Mohawk which also puts the skater on a back left inside edge. The right leg stays behind the left leg until the skater does a deep quarter turn on the left skate to take off while they swing their left right leg/knee up and in front of their body pulling their arms up in front to their chest tightly.

Lutz: can be entered by either doing a forward left inside 3 turn using the left leg putting the skater on a left outside edge, or a forward left inside Mohawk which puts the skater on the right foot on a back right inside edge and then cross the left foot over the right placing it on an back left outside edge, then the skater reaching back with their right arm while the left knee bends and then as soon as the left knee starts to straighten out and skater picks behind the left skate with the right skate, the skater pulls the right arm forward , up and into their right chest and the left arm meets the right arm there. The Lutz is the only jump to have an elastic band action where it looks like the skater first turns CW to set up the jump but then turns CCW to take off on the jump.

For skaters who are CW skaters like #KaetlynOsmond just reverse all the above, from right to left for Loops and Toe loops, and from left to right for Flips, Lutzes and Salchows.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
it is probably a stupid question, but better to make sure - practice that will be streamed live today will be ones done at Competition Rink? I just see practices being held simultaneously at Competition and Practice Rinks at the same time and wanted to make sure to which schedule should I adhere while watching live stream;):)

it's about an hour to practices I believe, based on schedule (and if I did not botch the time hehe)? Excited already, will be renegade-watching at work:cool14:

I’m watching, too. At first I was cursing the lousy camera work, wondering why the skater’s head was cut off. Oh lordy, it must be early for me since I eventually figured out the video portion was below a webpage frame header and all I had to do was scroll down. :slink:

I was getting into Jane Gray’s Constantinople music when Ted Barton started talking to answer a question about why some skaters don’t do full run-throughs – his voice was faint but I believe he mentioned some skaters won’t do their triple jumps this early in the day. It’s probably the first time I’ve wished the commentating was louder than the skater’s music. :laugh: Ted also finished by saying thank you for the question, providing the 604 phone number to call and adding he’ll be quiet until another question call comes in. Gotta love Ted!

Next group starting...

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I’m watching, too. At first I was cursing the lousy camera work, wondering why the skater’s head was cut off. Oh lordy, it must be early for me since I eventually figured out the video portion was below a webpage frame header and all I had to do was scroll down. :slink:

I was getting into Jane Gray’s Constantinople music when Ted Barton started talking to answer a question about why some skaters don’t do full run-throughs – his voice was faint but I believe he mentioned some skaters won’t do their triple jumps this early in the day. It’s probably the first time I’ve wished the commentating was louder than the skater’s music. :laugh: Ted also finished by saying thank you for the question, providing the 604 phone number to call and adding he’ll be quiet until another question call comes in. Gotta love Ted!

Next group starting...

:), I'm watching at work, but will have to soon go home so probably no 3rd group for me, booo:(

and Ted is a gem - there was also a question sent earlier (as far as I caught it) about if music skaters are practicing to is pre-cleared, because some probably found something as inappropriate I suppose;)

Roo87

Medalist
So D/R switched out their free program?? And Gabby is doing the same? what the heck.

LisaS

On the Ice
So D/R switched out their free program?? And Gabby is doing the same? what the heck.

TSN tweeted that Gabby is doing Rhapsody in Blue for the Freeskate. I didn't see the practice, so not sure if you saw something different.

Roo87

Medalist
TSN tweeted that Gabby is doing Rhapsody in Blue for the Freeskate. I didn't see the practice, so not sure if you saw something different.

Yea, I worded that a little funny. She did her SP in practise, but she tweeted her blue dress saying "back to blue", so she's not doing Gladiator. D/R practised their Adele program from 2015-2016.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Group 2 of the Senior Men are practicing on the ice now.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Group 3 of the Senior Men are now on the ice.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
HOT UPDATE Everyone: Ted Barton just said on the practice stream that TSN/CTV are allowing Skate Canada to stream ALL of the ladies' short program, ALL of the pairs short program tomorrow. They will still stream only the 1st Dance group (not the big guns in the 2nd group) and only the first 2 groups of the men (not the big guns in the 3rd group). Hooray!!!

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
HOT UPDATE Everyone: Ted Barton just said on the practice stream that TSN/CTV are allowing Skate Canada to stream ALL of the ladies' short program, ALL of the pairs short program tomorrow. They will still stream only the 1st Dance group (not the big guns in the 2nd group) and only the first 2 groups of the men (not the big guns in the 3rd group). Hooray!!!

That's nice. I have a hot date at high noon tomorrow so will miss the first half of the coronation of Her Royal Majesty, the Queen of the Ice Katelyn I.

#YankForKatelyn

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Sorry to say but Thunderbird Arena does NOT allow banners. Or Tablets (there goes my Kindle). Or a lot more things...

I don't even know if they'll allow flowers brought in.

My source is: https://thunderbirdarena.ubc.ca/guest-information/prohibited-items

Also just got a Ticketmaster e-mail to expect a security screening.

Sorry for the super late reply, but Skate Canada told me that banners are permitted, just that they reserve the right to move or remove them, so I created a handheld one for Patrick:

https://twitter.com/PCSkatingFan/status/951236820955574272

Anyway, just got into Vancouver today and will be staying through Sunday to watch the EX gala!

randomsplashes

Rinkside
Are we allowed to bring laptops in our backpacks? I am attending tomorrow's short dance

And also, I am selling 1 ticket to the Men/Pairs Short program, 1 ticket for the Mens/Pairs Free program and 1 ticket to the Gala. (Section 101, Row 10, Seat 2)
Prices are negotiable because I need it gone! Please PM me.