Olympic NBC TV Coverage | Golden Skate

Olympic NBC TV Coverage

goveggie

Spectator
Does anyone have a reliable schedule of NBC's TV coverage? I want to take off work to watch, and the NBC site is confusing (I found conflicting info). Thanks.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Does anyone have a reliable schedule of NBC's TV coverage? I want to take off work to watch, and the NBC site is confusing (I found conflicting info). Thanks.

Long document published today by NBC official site:

2018 WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES LISTINGS

NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, USA Network, Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA, NBCOlympics.com, and the NBC Sports app

NBC Primetime and “Primetime Plus” Coverage Live Across All Time Zones

NBCSN Will Present Live Primetime Coverage

24-Hours, Seven Platforms, Every Olympic Sport

– Subject to Change –

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2018/01/22/2018-winter-olympic-games-listings/ (Jan 22)​

ETA:

Off topic, but I am displeased :( that in these NBC listings, the Shibs are the only U.S. ice dancers mentioned by name.

(Sun Feb 18 NBC coverage)

Figure Skating – Figure Skating siblings Maia and Alex Shibutani form one of three U.S. duos with podium potential as the ice dance competition begins.

Whereas for U.S. ladies, all three entries are mentioned by name.

(Tue Feb 20 NBC coverage)

Figure Skating – Figure Skating continues with the ladies’ short program. Team USA is represented by upstart Bradie Tennell, fresh off a victory at the 2018 U.S. Championships; 2010 Olympian Mirai Nagasu; and 18-year-old Karen Chen, who placed fourth at last year’s World Championships. ...

Great that all U.S. ladies are named, but why not the same even-handedness for all U.S. ice dancers??

Especially when H/D, Shibs, and C/B are neck and neck and neck -- moreso than the U.S. ladies.​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Today NBC announced a preview show on Mon Feb 5 (which was not in the listings linked above).

Nathan Chen in particular and figure skating in general will be among the topics covered in "a special preview, The Best of U.S. – The 2018 Winter Olympics, next Monday, February 5, at 10 p.m. ET on NBC."

... Tara Lipinski and two-time Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir host the one-hour preview show, which will feature stories on decorated Team USA athletes, including 2010 Olympic downhill gold medalist Lindsey Vonn, 2014 Olympic slalom gold medalist Mikaela Shiffrin, two-time Olympic snowboarding gold medalist Shaun White, two-time U.S. champion Nathan Chen and 17-year-old phenom snowboarder Chloe Kim.

In addition, figure skating play-by-play commentator Terry Gannon joins Lipinski and Weir to preview the Olympic figure skating competition that features gold medal showdowns as Chen and 2014 Olympic gold medalist and reigning world champion Yuzuru Hanyu compete on the men’s side; with two-time world champion Yevgenia Medvedeva and 2018 European champion Alina Zagitova of Russia facing off on the ladies’ side. ...

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...ial-the-best-of-u-s-the-2018-winter-olympics/ (Jan 30)​

BTW, as much discussed, Nathan is showcased in an NBC ad/promo that will air within the NBC's Super Bowl LII broadcast on Sunday. Video of the ad:
https://youtu.be/eh_iUGk2Yi4 (1:00, published Jan 30)​

Last year's broadcast of Super Bowl LI had approx. 111 million viewers. That's a lot of eyeballs. :cool:

Nathan is in NBC's own promo, but to give an idea of the marketing "value" of this visibility for him: a 30-second ad during Super Bowl LII costs over $5 million.

slider11

Medalist
I saw Nathan today on the NBC Today show. GREAT skater but yish is he a dull interviewee. I get that everyone can't be over-the-top Johnny but the announcers seemed more excited for the Olympics than Nathan. I guess he will just have to show his passion on the ice and let that speak for itself!~

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I saw Nathan today on the NBC Today show. GREAT skater but yish is he a dull interviewee. I get that everyone can't be over-the-top Johnny but the announcers seemed more excited for the Olympics than Nathan. I guess he will just have to show his passion on the ice and let that speak for itself!~

He's very low key and shy.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

For those who want to judge for themselves, here is today's video of Nathan on the Today show for the reveal of the promo that will air within the Super Bowl:

For me, Nathan came across as his authentic -- and charming :yes: -- self.

IMO, the world needs fewer of OTT Johnny Weirs and more of lower-key Nathan Chens. ("Lower-key" does not equal "dull.")

The Today show anchors in NYC also were three time zones ahead of Nathan in California.
I don't know what time exactly his segment aired, but prob. btwn 8:00 and 9:00 am ET? Which would be btwn 5:00 and 6:00 am PT.

ETA:
I usually am a big fan of Savannah Guthrie, but she was hardly at her best in this interview.
"Do you remember shooting it?" What kind of silly question is that? Of course, Nathan (or anyone in his shoes) would remember shooting it.
Even if the question had been scripted for SG, she should have known better than to ask it. Should have skipped ahead to her next question: "Did you have an idea of how it might turn out?"​

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Long document published today by NBC official site:

2018 WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES LISTINGS

NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, USA Network, Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA, NBCOlympics.com, and the NBC Sports app

NBC Primetime and “Primetime Plus” Coverage Live Across All Time Zones

NBCSN Will Present Live Primetime Coverage

24-Hours, Seven Platforms, Every Olympic Sport

– Subject to Change –

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2018/01/22/2018-winter-olympic-games-listings/ (Jan 22)​

ETA:

Off topic, but I am displeased :( that in these NBC listings, the Shibs are the only U.S. ice dancers mentioned by name.

(Sun Feb 18 NBC coverage)

Figure Skating – Figure Skating siblings Maia and Alex Shibutani form one of three U.S. duos with podium potential as the ice dance competition begins.

Whereas for U.S. ladies, all three entries are mentioned by name.

(Tue Feb 20 NBC coverage)

Figure Skating – Figure Skating continues with the ladies’ short program. Team USA is represented by upstart Bradie Tennell, fresh off a victory at the 2018 U.S. Championships; 2010 Olympian Mirai Nagasu; and 18-year-old Karen Chen, who placed fourth at last year’s World Championships. ...

Great that all U.S. ladies are named, but why not the same even-handedness for all U.S. ice dancers??

Especially when H/D, Shibs, and C/B are neck and neck and neck -- moreso than the U.S. ladies.​

Wow....thanks! I copied and pasted the schedule into a MS Word doc...now I have lots of massaging to do but I have time to do it now that my taxes are done.....(Filed my taxes today and they were accepted so no one tried to file a phoney return using my name yet...) I think I will delete the curling... ;)

GGFan

Record Breaker
For those considering YouTube TV to get the Olympic Channel I just wanted to mention that the Apple TV and Roku apps have now been released. I'm currently testing the Apple TV app and it seems to work pretty seamlessly and the picture quality is great of course.

auser

Record Breaker
For those considering YouTube TV to get the Olympic Channel I just wanted to mention that the Apple TV and Roku apps have now been released. I'm currently testing the Apple TV app and it seems to work pretty seamlessly and the picture quality is great of course.
Thanks GGFan. Are you still using/planning to use YouTube TV o watch the Olympics? I am strongly considering using YT TV for Olympic streaming(despite some privacy concerns). My research seems to indicate some buffering/quality issues with the other vendors I was considering. Do you know if the YouTube TV account can be used to authenticate with the NBCOlympics.com stream? Thanks for your great info so far :thank:.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Thanks GGFan. Are you still using/planning to use YouTube TV o watch the Olympics? I am strongly considering using YT TV for Olympic streaming(despite some privacy concerns). My research seems to indicate some buffering/quality issues with the other vendors I was considering. Do you know if the YouTube TV account can be used to authenticate with the NBCOlympics.com stream? Thanks for your great info so far :thank:.

No problem at all. I don't have a source for you, but YouTube TV is definitely on the provider list. I've used it with the NBC Sports app (and NBC Sports online) to make sure it works. The app is the same one that will be used for the Olympics.

auser

Record Breaker
No problem at all. I don't have a source for you, but YouTube TV is definitely on the provider list. I've used it with the NBC Sports app (and NBC Sports online) to make sure it works. The app is the same one that will be used for the Olympics.
Great news :). Thank you very much :thank:.

scoty

Rinkside
US tv schedule...

Are we going to be able to watch every single program live (like we could in Sochi) or is it going to be like the “old days” when we were tortured with only a few programs, spliced in and out of other sports? Really hoping to be able to see every program.

beachmouse

On the Ice
I'm looking at the NBC Sports app on my Roku, and guessing that if you can log into the app (or use similar cable/satellite/whatever credentials to log into the NBC sports web site) then you get single event streams. In the app, there's both a 'figure skating- Team Event Part 1' and 'NBC figure skating/freestyle skiing' listed in 'Upcoming' for tonight and I'd assume the figure skating skating one would be full coverage.

pearly

Record Breaker
Are we going to be able to watch every single program live (like we could in Sochi) or is it going to be like the “old days” when we were tortured with only a few programs, spliced in and out of other sports? Really hoping to be able to see every program.

Well since they're making everyone in Europe get up between 1 and 4 am to watch (and skaters practice at 6 am), they better be showing everything live.

skaterboi

Spectator
I'm having a hard time finding which NBC station and time "Olympic Ice" is suppose to be on. Anyone here that can help?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel like this is the worst coverage ever!! I am used to USA, CNBC, NBC, NBC Sports and other channels always having something on. There was a friggin Chuck Norris infomercial on NBC Sports while I know there were live events s going on. :palmf:

Button's Niece

On the Ice
I'm having a hard time finding which NBC station and time "Olympic Ice" is suppose to be on. Anyone here that can help?

I see it listed on NBCSN at 7:00 PM (EST) tomorrow

ETA - that listing is on nbc's site. My program on my DVR just has a long Olympic show from 7:00-9:45

treblemakerem

On the Ice

Hmm this morning the stream seemed to work with Youtube TV, but now it seems to be missing from the provider list. Anyone else have this problem? I would rather use the stream because it sees like on TV they are skipping people :(

GGFan

Record Breaker
Hmm this morning the stream seemed to work with Youtube TV, but now it seems to be missing from the provider list. Anyone else have this problem? I would rather use the stream because it sees like on TV they are skipping people :(

That's strange. It's still working for me. I just put on the downhill ski training. :confused2:

ribbit

On the Ice

I'm having the same problem, except that I haven't been able to get the stream to work at all using my YouTube TV account. Last night it wouldn't authenticate, and today it's missing from the provider list for me too. I found an email account for NBC support and sent them a message last night; I got a prompt response saying that they were looking into the issue, but I haven't heard anything since. Like you, I'd rather use the stream than watch coverage interrupted by ads, so I hope they sort out the problem soon!